Analysing documents with Trados: how to find % fuzzy matches?
Thread poster: cailin
cailin
cailin
German to English
+ ...
Dec 30, 2002

Dear colleagues,

I was wondering if someone could help me with the analysis of documents in Trados in order to find out the percentage of 100% matches and fuzzy matches. Do I analyse the translated document based on the translation memory used or do I analyse the original??

Thanks, I will appreciate all input.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:03
English to German
+ ...
Analyse the original Dec 30, 2002

The analysis must be carried out on the original file: the point of the analysis is to find out how much of the project is already contained in your translation memory (a 100% match means that a sentence, or sentence fragment = unit in the file to be translated is 100% identical to an existing unit in your database).

When analysing Word documents containing revision marks, make sure to accept the changes prior to analysing the document (you may want to create a separate copy
... See more
The analysis must be carried out on the original file: the point of the analysis is to find out how much of the project is already contained in your translation memory (a 100% match means that a sentence, or sentence fragment = unit in the file to be translated is 100% identical to an existing unit in your database).

When analysing Word documents containing revision marks, make sure to accept the changes prior to analysing the document (you may want to create a separate copy of the document if you still need the version with the revision marks for other purposes).

HTH - best regards, Ralf
Collapse

cailin
cailin
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Clarification - matches and discounts. Dec 30, 2002

Thank you both for your response. I still have a slight doubt so if you don\'t mind, I would just like to verify the situation: if the client provides me with an empty memory (which is the case) and I have no such memory myself, but several segments in the original document are repeated 100% (or 85%-99%), should I not offer discounts (or will the agency automatically reduce the paying rate...) for all the 100% and fuzzy matches? or are the discounts only applied in subsequent translation jobs???... See more
Thank you both for your response. I still have a slight doubt so if you don\'t mind, I would just like to verify the situation: if the client provides me with an empty memory (which is the case) and I have no such memory myself, but several segments in the original document are repeated 100% (or 85%-99%), should I not offer discounts (or will the agency automatically reduce the paying rate...) for all the 100% and fuzzy matches? or are the discounts only applied in subsequent translation jobs???

Thanks for your time
Collapse

cailin
cailin
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Clarification - matches and discounts. Dec 30, 2002

Thank you both for your response. I still have a slight doubt so if you don\'t mind, I would just like to verify the situation: if the client provides me with an empty memory (which is the case) and I have no such memory myself, but several segments in the original document are repeated 100% (or 85%-99%), should I not offer discounts (or will the agency automatically reduce the paying rate...) for all the 100% and fuzzy matches? or are the discounts only applied in subsequent translation jobs???... See more
Thank you both for your response. I still have a slight doubt so if you don\'t mind, I would just like to verify the situation: if the client provides me with an empty memory (which is the case) and I have no such memory myself, but several segments in the original document are repeated 100% (or 85%-99%), should I not offer discounts (or will the agency automatically reduce the paying rate...) for all the 100% and fuzzy matches? or are the discounts only applied in subsequent translation jobs???

Thanks for your time
Collapse

lisa23
lisa23
Germany
English to German
+ ...
100 % matches Dec 31, 2002

If you have an empty TM, there are no 100 % matches (since it\'s empty), but only repetitions. A repetition is a segment that occurs more than once in the analyzed document. You translate it and the next time it occurs, you have a 100 % match (but it\'s not counted as such in the analysis). A discount for repetitions is normal, e.g. 50 % (depends on what you negotiate with your client).l

Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
first and subsequent jobs Dec 31, 2002

When you analyse a document which you use to build up a TM from scratch, you will only see \"repetitions\" and \"no matches\". Let\'s assume you have 10,000 words, of which 2,200 is repetitions and 7,800 no matches.

When you receive a subsequent job from the same client (same field), you can already use your exsting TM for analysis.

What you would in this case is that analayse the new file based on tjhe existing TM. Now you would see that you have \"repetitions\" (segments
... See more
When you analyse a document which you use to build up a TM from scratch, you will only see \"repetitions\" and \"no matches\". Let\'s assume you have 10,000 words, of which 2,200 is repetitions and 7,800 no matches.

When you receive a subsequent job from the same client (same field), you can already use your exsting TM for analysis.

What you would in this case is that analayse the new file based on tjhe existing TM. Now you would see that you have \"repetitions\" (segments repeted within the document), \"100% matches\" (those that had appeared in previous texts), and 95-99%, ... 50-74% and finally 0-49% matches.

The standard is to quote 3 different prices: the full price usually referes to 0-74%, fuzzy match discount to 75-99%, and a perfect match discount applies to repetitions and 100% combined. Some clients use different categories, but this is the most widespread.

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Analysing documents with Trados: how to find % fuzzy matches?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »