Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:53
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Dec 12, 2002

Why does Trados change fonts sometimes? It does not happen every time and it is so frustrating, since the client wants me to use the exact fonts that they use. What am I doing wrong? Please help. Thank you very much in advance.

Monika

I forgot to mention that I use Trados 5.5

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-12-12 19:40 ]

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:53
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I don´t know WHY Dec 12, 2002

but it happens to me too.

I´m not always able to get rid of it, but:

Very important is to define templates according to the fonts used in document. For example, if the text is formatted with Arial 12, but the template states Times New Roman 10, you´ll get the text reformatted to Times quite often. This is because TWB saves text with RTF format codes and tries to restore the original formatting of the text.

So defining of templates including p
... See more
but it happens to me too.

I´m not always able to get rid of it, but:

Very important is to define templates according to the fonts used in document. For example, if the text is formatted with Arial 12, but the template states Times New Roman 10, you´ll get the text reformatted to Times quite often. This is because TWB saves text with RTF format codes and tries to restore the original formatting of the text.

So defining of templates including proper language setting is essential to work with TRADOS.

This is a TRADOS WorkBench problem.

It should not appear with MetaTexis. Using Metatexis you should be able to use your Trados translation memory and after reformat the document after translating, so that it looks like translated with Trados. If you need further informations about Metatexis (and I´m quite sure, it will solve yours and my problems, but I wasn´t able to test it until now due to very little time), so contact Hermann Bruns on www.metatexis.com.

Best

Jerzy
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:53
English to German
+ ...
The problem is not in Trados, but in Word Dec 12, 2002

Hi.

This behaviour can occur with documents that have authoring problems, predominantly if the author used manual formatting rather than applying proper templates.

For instance, many Word users don\'t know how to systematically adjust fonts. Let\'s say the standard font is Times New Roman 12pt, but the author wants Arial 11pt. The obvious thing to do would be to change the font settings of the \"Standard\" template, but very often the font is simply changed manuall
... See more
Hi.

This behaviour can occur with documents that have authoring problems, predominantly if the author used manual formatting rather than applying proper templates.

For instance, many Word users don\'t know how to systematically adjust fonts. Let\'s say the standard font is Times New Roman 12pt, but the author wants Arial 11pt. The obvious thing to do would be to change the font settings of the \"Standard\" template, but very often the font is simply changed manually.

The problem arises because Trados, in effect, transforms each unit into a miniature RTF file, copying it back into the document when closing the segment. The general format used is, of course, the template used to format. Most of the time this isn\'t a problem because the manual character formatting overrides - at the end of a paragraph, however, the format specified by the template \"takes over\" (bear in mind that the paragraph mark at the end of the paragraph \"contains\" formatting information).

What I would do is to check for inconsistency between the \"standard\" font prescribed by your client and the formatting information contained in the corresponding template.
Collapse

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:53
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Thank you ... Dec 13, 2002

so much Jerzey and Ralf. Your answers are very helpful. Thank you for sharing your knowledge with me and also thank you for taking the time to help me.

Faleminderit 1000 herë!

Monika

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why is TRADOS changing fonts?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »