ppt-files and trados win-align
Thread poster: lisevs
lisevs
lisevs
Local time: 04:47
Dec 4, 2002

hi,

a customer has asked me to make an alignment of power point files with older tranlations, which must now be renewed. how can i do that? does trados win-align work with ppt-files? or is it possible e.g. to let trados automatically translate all 100% - what is possible? what would be the most efficient?

thank you very much in advance for any suggestions

kind regards

lise
... See more
hi,

a customer has asked me to make an alignment of power point files with older tranlations, which must now be renewed. how can i do that? does trados win-align work with ppt-files? or is it possible e.g. to let trados automatically translate all 100% - what is possible? what would be the most efficient?

thank you very much in advance for any suggestions

kind regards

lise (too busy to read all help files in trados applications to find what i need)
Collapse

Jeannie Graham
Jeannie Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:47
German to English
+ ...
rtf format Dec 4, 2002

You can save the ppt files as rtf files and then put through Win Align

Suzanne Blangsted (X)
Suzanne Blangsted (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:47
Danish to English
+ ...
trados alignment Dec 4, 2002

Lise, you wrote \"alignment with older translations\". I agree with conversion into trf files, but to do the aligment correctly requires a thorough knowledge of all the languages involved. Good luck.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-12-04 20:05 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-12-04 20:06 ]

lisevs
lisevs
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Dec 4, 2002

to everyone - also to mary who sent me this answer in an e-mail (I qoute it here for the benefit of others

--

In the Trados menu in PowerPoint, there is an option to \'Extract text\'. This gives

you a text file containing all the text of the PPT file. You can then save the text

file as a RTF file and bingo, a file you can align.

The trouble with saving PPT files as RTF is that all the tex
... See more
to everyone - also to mary who sent me this answer in an e-mail (I qoute it here for the benefit of others

--

In the Trados menu in PowerPoint, there is an option to \'Extract text\'. This gives

you a text file containing all the text of the PPT file. You can then save the text

file as a RTF file and bingo, a file you can align.

The trouble with saving PPT files as RTF is that all the text is not saved, it

only saves the outline text (the bit down the left hand side!).

--

I allready managed to extract the text and will then do the alignments tomorrow

- btw don\'t worry - it\'s only translation from danish to german, I won\'t mess around with anything in my poor english (or any other language...)

lise

Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Formatting issue Dec 6, 2002

Quote:

The trouble with saving PPT files as RTF is that all the text is not saved, it

only saves the outline text (the bit down the left hand side!).

That very much depends on how text is stored in the PPT file. If, for example, a diagram which has been embedded as an object (graphics file) contains text, this is impossible to extract because it isn\'t saved as such.

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:47
German to English
+ ...
True, but ... Dec 6, 2002

Quote:

That very much depends on how text is stored in the PPT file. If, for example, a diagram which has been embedded as an object (graphics file) contains text, this is impossible to extract because it isn\'t saved as such.

... you wouldn\'t get embedded text if you aligned Word files either. The \'Extract text\' option seems to be the best of imperfect options. Embedded text will present a problem w... See more
Quote:

... you wouldn\'t get embedded text if you aligned Word files either. The \'Extract text\' option seems to be the best of imperfect options. Embedded text will present a problem wherever you encounter it, and, AFAIK, there is no way of incorporating it into a TM anyway, short of entering it by hand. Or am I missing something?

Regards

Mary ▲ Collapse

Raluca Manea
Raluca Manea
Romania
Local time: 05:47
English to Romanian
+ ...
I know it's off-topic but... Jan 11, 2019

Hello, I own a SDL Trados Studio 2011 suite.

My problem is that I have a source .doc file, and I already have its target (translation), but the translation was not performed using Trados, so basically I have two separate .doc files, the source document and the target document.

How can I put the .doc files together, one as the source and the other one (its translation) as the target, and just make the necessary corrections and then save a target? Please help me!
... See more
Hello, I own a SDL Trados Studio 2011 suite.

My problem is that I have a source .doc file, and I already have its target (translation), but the translation was not performed using Trados, so basically I have two separate .doc files, the source document and the target document.

How can I put the .doc files together, one as the source and the other one (its translation) as the target, and just make the necessary corrections and then save a target? Please help me!

Thank you in advance for your help!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ppt-files and trados win-align

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »