Joanne Parker
Joanne Parker  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:49
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Sep 26, 2002

Hello,

I am working on an urgent order and I have a problem. I am translating PPT slides with Trados 5.5. This worked successfully, I cleaned the files up and sent them to my customer - who cannot open the files. Nor can I. We both get the message \"PPT can\'t open the type of file represented by xxx.ppt\".

Has anyone had this error and know how to fix it?

Thanks in advance,

Joanne

Joanne Parker
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Part 2 Sep 26, 2002

I have just worked out that I can open the uncleaned version of the file. But PPT can\'t open the cleaned up version.

Help, please!

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Local time: 11:49
German to English
+ ...
I guess you used T-Window... Sep 26, 2002

I guess you used T-Window for powerpoint to translate the files. How did you manage to clean up the files? When I use T-Window, my source segments are not included in the file (they kinda disappear), so I always send my customer the \"uncleaned\" version. Have a look in your uncleaned version and see if you can see any source segments in there. If not, I\'d just send the customer that one.

HTH

Alison

Joanne Parker
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Sep 26, 2002

I can\'t see any Trados markers either, so I\'m taking your advice.

Thanks again,

Joanne

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
"Remove source segments" Sep 26, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-09-26 10:51, alison1969 wrote:

I guess you used T-Window for powerpoint to translate the files. How did you manage to clean up the files? When I use T-Window, my source segments are not included in the file (they kinda disappear), so I always send my customer the \"uncleaned\" version.

There\'s a function in the Trados menu embedded in PowerPoint (aka T-Window) called \"Remove source segm... See more
Quote:

On 2002-09-26 10:51, alison1969 wrote:

I guess you used T-Window for powerpoint to translate the files. How did you manage to clean up the files? When I use T-Window, my source segments are not included in the file (they kinda disappear), so I always send my customer the \"uncleaned\" version.

There\'s a function in the Trados menu embedded in PowerPoint (aka T-Window) called \"Remove source segments\". The only problem with an \"uncleaned\" file is probably the file size. ▲ Collapse

Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)
Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
T-windows for Excel gives you only a clean file Sep 26, 2002

Good morning,

Having worked with T-Windows for Excel, I can confirm that the target file is clean. The process is not like when we use Workbench alone with Word (where we have to clean up the file).

T-Windows basically sets-up a brand new separate file where you will only find your target, no source segments.

So no clean up needed and you can indeed send it to your client *as is*
... See more
Good morning,

Having worked with T-Windows for Excel, I can confirm that the target file is clean. The process is not like when we use Workbench alone with Word (where we have to clean up the file).

T-Windows basically sets-up a brand new separate file where you will only find your target, no source segments.

So no clean up needed and you can indeed send it to your client *as is*

(Added: Ralf, I was not aware of this function in regards to T-windows and Power Point, thank you for specifying!!!)

Nathalie

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-09-26 14:34 ]
Collapse

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
Thanks Ralf! Sep 26, 2002

You learn something new every day.....

Alison

Joanne Parker
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Ralf! Sep 27, 2002

I managed to clean up the files using the Trados Workbench. According to the Trados support guys, this way of doing it destroys the file, which is why I couldn\'t open it.

As you say, the option in PPT is the correct way to do it.

Thanks very much, everyone, for your help.

Joanne

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PowerPoint and Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »