Trados dongle not recognized
Thread poster: Manuela Brehm
Manuela Brehm
Manuela Brehm
Local time: 13:14
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Sep 18, 2002

I have a Trados 5 Freelance version. For quite some time the program gives me the information that the dongle is not connected to the parallel port (pls connect dongle to parallel port) and runs in demo version. Then, all of a sudden it begins to work again. But today I have already been trying for one hour and nothing seems to work.

Trados doesn´t give me an answer (although I have a support contract with them - which I surely will cancel this month). Has anyone had a similar proble
... See more
I have a Trados 5 Freelance version. For quite some time the program gives me the information that the dongle is not connected to the parallel port (pls connect dongle to parallel port) and runs in demo version. Then, all of a sudden it begins to work again. But today I have already been trying for one hour and nothing seems to work.

Trados doesn´t give me an answer (although I have a support contract with them - which I surely will cancel this month). Has anyone had a similar problem? What can I do?

I already disconnected and connected the dongle several times. I shut down the computer several times, etc...

Thanks in advance.
Collapse

Carsten Behrend
Carsten Behrend  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:14
English to German
+ ...
Did you try... Sep 18, 2002

... to deinstall and reinstall Trados? Do you use Trados 5 or 5.5? The upgrade requires a dongle reprogramming which is accomplished beyond the install routine. Check the additional files.

Carsten

Marisapad
Marisapad  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
I EXPERIENCED THE SAME Sep 18, 2002

In my case it was an electric problem of my port and a normal computer technician did partially solve it.

However he solved the problem only partially, because the electric problem came again and \"burned\" my dongle.

So I contacted Trados and they replaced my burned dongle immediately.

I do not love people at Trados, but to be honest, that time it wasn\'t their fault.

I must also add that if there is an electri
... See more
In my case it was an electric problem of my port and a normal computer technician did partially solve it.

However he solved the problem only partially, because the electric problem came again and \"burned\" my dongle.

So I contacted Trados and they replaced my burned dongle immediately.

I do not love people at Trados, but to be honest, that time it wasn\'t their fault.

I must also add that if there is an electrical problem in your port, probably your dongle is already partially damaged, and that\'s why it behaves erratically.

HTH

marisa
Collapse

Robin Salmon (X)
Robin Salmon (X)  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 23:14
German to English
+ ...
Defective dongle Sep 18, 2002

I have just last week got a lot of help from the TW Users Group at Yahoo. You can upgrade from Trados 5 Freelance to Trados 5.5 Freelance for nothing and so I did that and found that even when I updated the dongle I got the message you got. The TW User Group members suggested I download the Harvester dongle test from this site: http://support.trados.com/view.asp?cntID=760.

I sent the results to
... See more
I have just last week got a lot of help from the TW Users Group at Yahoo. You can upgrade from Trados 5 Freelance to Trados 5.5 Freelance for nothing and so I did that and found that even when I updated the dongle I got the message you got. The TW User Group members suggested I download the Harvester dongle test from this site: http://support.trados.com/view.asp?cntID=760.

I sent the results to my Trados office and they are sending me a new dongle free of charge.

Robin
Collapse

Petra Dr. Schmidt-Sarbutt
Petra Dr. Schmidt-Sarbutt
Australia
Local time: 00:14
German to English
+ ...
USB dongle might work Sep 19, 2002

Dear Valentim,

Are you by any chance using WIndows xp? After upgrading to xp, I experienced more or less the same problem and no suggested remedy (re-installing, re-setting BIOS configs and so on) helped. Trados support also seemed quite at a loss. We eventually replaced the conventional dongle with a USB dongle and I haven\'t had any problems since!

Cheers, Petra

Vauwe
Vauwe
English to German
+ ...
Trados Dongle Sep 19, 2002

I experienced the problem that my Trados5 dongle didn\'t work with Trados5.5. So I had to purchase a 5.5 dongle.

Manuela Brehm
Manuela Brehm
Local time: 13:14
German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dongle Sep 19, 2002

Thanks to all for your advices.

The problem is a deffective Dongle (found out after running the Harvester Test). They are going to send me a new one.

Have a great weekend.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados dongle not recognized

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »