Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 14:22
French to English
+ ...
@Epameinondas May 21, 2020

Epameinondas Soufleros wrote:

Of course they won't make the term pane not flash a hundred times whenever you add a new term.

My term pane does not not flash whenever I add a new term, and never did. This must be your own thing.

My problem was that term recognition was not working. Terms were not recognized, although I had just added them and I knew they were in. Additionally, some existing terms could be neither edited nor deleted.
After much frustration, it occurred to me that I had never reorganized the termbase since its creation, many years ago.

After I cloned the termbase, imported its entire contents and reorganized it, things work just fine.

Maybe your problem is a simple procedure, such as reorganizing the termbase.

HTH,
Sandra

A. & S. Witte

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Add terms with Ctrl+Shift+F2 May 23, 2020

Try doing it with the shortuct, after you have selected a term in the source pane and one in the target pane. Also, I have the terminology pane set to autohide. So, it appears, the existing terms flash and then, after a noticeable delay, the new ones are added.

It happened on my old desktop computer and it happens on my new laptop. Surely, I can't be the only one.

[Edited at 2020-05-23 16:32 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-05-23 16:33 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Wolfgang Schoene
Wilhelm Weigert
Matheus Chaud

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 15:22
English to Russian
I understand what Epameinondas Soufleros means May 23, 2020

Never before an autohide concept was so close to neverhide as with Studio. It takes ages for it to [quick] add a term and get lost from the screen. It seems to give birth to something tremendous rather than add a term. God save you from clicking on it during the period when it is adding a term because if you click, it will never disappear automatically. Also if you happen to hover your mouse over the termbase viewer bookmark, the said termbase viewer pops up wearing your patience thin.

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:22
English to German
+ ...
I understand what Epameinondas Soufleros means May 25, 2020

Stepan Konev wrote:

Never before an autohide concept was so close to neverhide as with Studio. It takes ages for it to [quick] add a term and get lost from the screen. It seems to give birth to something tremendous rather than add a term. God save you from clicking on it during the period when it is adding a term because if you click, it will never disappear automatically. Also if you happen to hover your mouse over the termbase viewer bookmark, the said termbase viewer pops up wearing your patience thin.

Me too, I understand what Epameinondas means. The screen flickers/refreshes like mad, especially with large termbases. Someone one day told me that the best thing to do is to detach the Termbase Viewer from the main window. That's what I did, quick term adding is a bit faster and the window is out of the way on the other screen.

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
French to English
+ ...
Add terms with a shortcut May 26, 2020

Try doing it with the shortcut, after you have selected a term in the source pane and one in the target pane.

I always add terms with a shortcut, after selecting a term in the source pane and in the target pane (how else?). The difference is that I have my own shortcut, because the default is much too complicated and I keep adding terms all the time, if only for convenience (including long names or frequent phrases). I think my shortcut is sth like Alt-Left or Alt-Right. My fingers know it without the need to look at the keyboard.
Nothing ever flashed.

Maybe you should change the shortcut.
Just a thought...

HTH,

[Edited at 2020-05-26 07:11 GMT]

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Deleted Jun 26, 2020

Deleted

[Edited at 2020-06-26 11:15 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Jost Zetzsche spoke to Daniel Brockmann Jun 26, 2020

Robert Rietvelt wrote:
For who doesn't have a subscription, here the latest news from Jost Zetzsche about Studio 2021.

I don't think one should copy/paste the entire article here. Copyright and all. Allow me summarize the relevant parts of what Jost wrote in his subscription newsletter:

1. W.r.t. the online version:
1.1 You can start a project on the desktop version or on the online version.
1.2 You can switch between platforms (web > desktop > web, or: desktop > web > desktop) during your translation of the project.
1.3 When you start a project on the online version, you have access to "all the necessary options, including things like minimum match values, TU penalties, updating custom fields, all file types or segmentation rules".
1.4 Not all features present in the desktop version are present in the online version. It is a matter of opinion, but e.g. Daniel believes that find/replace is easier in the online version.
1.5 Add-ons and extensions (i.e "apps") that work in the desktop version won't work in the online version, but there are plans to create an app store specifically for the online version.
1.6 MOST IMPORTANTLY: the online version will not be free. Initially, all users of the desktop version will have 1 year's free access to the online version, but after that, the online version will be an optional paid extra.

2. W.r.t. extra features:
2.1 "Additional XML filtering capabilities by using 'elements' and 'attributes' [instead of the] XPath language".
2.2. "An 'advanced filter' feature that will allow you to define ... which parts of your project should be displayed and how, ... through regular expressions".

3. Other comments:
3.1 There is a separate mobile app to "accept projects" (it's not stated whether it's Android or iPad).
3.2 Something-something about Live Essential and Live Team Starter and Live Team, but I don't understand any of it.

[Edited at 2020-06-26 10:07 GMT]

Peter Mueller

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
@Samuel Jun 26, 2020

[quote]Samuel Murray wrote:

I don't think one should copy/paste the entire article here. Copyright and all.

You might be right, and since you summarized it, I deleted the post. Better safe than sorry.

[Edited at 2020-06-26 11:17 GMT]

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Will probably keep away from the online version Jun 26, 2020

Thanks for the overview. I wasn't aware that Studio will come with an online version, though I will keep to my tried and trusted offline version.

In general cloud based CAT tools are inferior to offline cat tools. This is even the case with memsource, which has both an online and offline version, which have quite similar interfaces. so I always download the project so I can work offline (in some other offline CAT tool, mine you).

So this is not an enhancement I am looki
... See more
Thanks for the overview. I wasn't aware that Studio will come with an online version, though I will keep to my tried and trusted offline version.

In general cloud based CAT tools are inferior to offline cat tools. This is even the case with memsource, which has both an online and offline version, which have quite similar interfaces. so I always download the project so I can work offline (in some other offline CAT tool, mine you).

So this is not an enhancement I am looking eagerly forward to.

Roy
Collapse

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
@Roy Jun 26, 2020

Roy Oestensen wrote:

So this is not an enhancement I am looking eagerly forward to.

Roy

Curious. You download the (memsource?) project and translate it in another CAT (SDL?). How do you get the translation back in the original Cat-tool (memsource?)?

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Reason to upgrade? Jun 26, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:
the online version will not be free. Initially, all users of the desktop version will have 1 year's free access to the online version, but after that, the online version will be an optional paid extra.

So, they're highlighting the online version as the main reason to upgrade your desktop app but next year they'll ask you to renew the online app by paying for it separately? This does not make any sense. It's as if they're saying 'pay the price of product A so that you can try product B for a limited time'.

I'm afraid I pre-ordered Studio Destkop 2021 just to be a beta tester for Studio Online… This information did not appear anywhere on SDL's site. Very disappointing.

[Edited at 2020-06-26 13:35 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 15:22
English to Russian
Just check in the box Jun 26, 2020

The most disappointing thing about this discussion is that SDL Ian did not answer a single question about the new version. He just posted a piece of information and abandoned the discussion. This perfectly demonstrates SDL's attitude. Samuel Murray did all the work for SDL Ian. Hope SDL Ian will share his compensation with Samuel.

Wojciech Sztukowski

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Export and import of xliff file from memsource functions nicely Jun 26, 2020

Robert Rietvelt wrote:
Curious. You download the (memsource?) project and translate it in another CAT (SDL?). How do you get the translation back in the original Cat-tool (memsource?)?

I export an mxliff project file from memsource (the cloud based version)

But before i can import it into Studio, I have to download an addition for Studio, which I get from here: https://appstore.sdl.com/language/app/mxliff-file-type/962/

Then I can create a Studio project and import the mxliff file into Studio and then translate it as normal.
When I am finished, I export the translated mxliff file, double click on it to open it in the offline version of memsource to check that everything is fine.
And then I upload it from the offline version

Actually quite straightforwad in other words.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
@Roy Jun 29, 2020

Roy Oestensen wrote:

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

I export an mxliff project file from memsource (the cloud based version)

But before i can import it into Studio, I have to download an addition for Studio, which I get from here: https://appstore.sdl.com/language/app/mxliff-file-type/962/

Then I can create a Studio project and import the mxliff file into Studio and then translate it as normal.
When I am finished, I export the translated mxliff file, double click on it to open it in the offline version of memsource to check that everything is fine.
And then I upload it from the offline version

Actually quite straightforwad in other words.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Thank you for the information.

I will give it a try next time I receive a memsource job.

Patrick Arbaut
Patrick Arbaut
Argentina
Local time: 09:22
English to French
+ ...
Spoiler Inside Jul 3, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:
the online version will not be free. Initially, all users of the desktop version will have 1 year's free access to the online version, but after that, the online version will be an optional paid extra.

So, they're highlighting the online version as the main reason to upgrade your desktop app but next year they'll ask you to renew the online app by paying for it separately? This does not make any sense. It's as if they're saying 'pay the price of product A so that you can try product B for a limited time'.

I'm afraid I pre-ordered Studio Destkop 2021 just to be a beta tester for Studio Online… This information did not appear anywhere on SDL's site. Very disappointing.

[Edited at 2020-06-26 13:35 GMT]

Well, to recap, seems nothing more than an update which one must pay for...

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio 2021 is coming soon!

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »