Edoardo BONACINA
Edoardo BONACINA  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 20:13
Italian to Turkish
+ ...
Nov 28, 2019

Good morning.
IN studşo 2015, does anyone know ho to limit the target segment character number so that I can see when the target charater number exceeds the one of the source?
I'm dealing with a string project and the translation length should not be longer than the original text
Thanks

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:13
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Edoardo Nov 28, 2019

Edoardo BONACINA wrote:
In Studio 2015, does anyone know how to limit the target segment character number so that I can see when the target character number exceeds the one of the source?

In Trados 2019 (don't know about 2015), I see no option to show the number of characters in the source text, nor do I see an option in the QA settings to flag a segment if the target text exceeds the length of the source text. One can set a universal target length limit (e.g. 50 characters) only, and even then it will only warn you if you use QA directly after each segment.

However, at the very bottom right, I can see the number of characters in the target text. If the target text is empty, then that counter reads "0", and it updates while I type. So, what you can do, as a workaround, is resize the Trados window so that that counter is close to the segment that you're going to translate, and then press Alt+Insert (to copy source to target), look at the counter, memorize the number, and then type your translation, while keeping an eye on the counter to ensure that you do not exceed the memorized number.

Remember, even if the target text contains a match, you can always press Alt+Insert and then press Ctrl+Z again to undo the previous action (though in Trados 2017, unfortunately, it then selects the text).

Edoardo BONACINA
Türkiye
Italian to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Samuel Nov 28, 2019

Thank you
I am already pasting the source and than do the translation, but it's a nightmare when you have 73.500 segments
SDL should insert that functionality...

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Edoardo Nov 28, 2019

Edoardo BONACINA wrote:
...it's a nightmare when you have 73.500 segments SDL should insert that functionality...

There may be a plugin or add-on for this. Try asking your question here:
https://community.sdl.com/product-groups/translationproductivity/f

Edoardo BONACINA
Türkiye
Italian to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Samuel Nov 28, 2019

I will
thanks a lot!!

Lorenzo Bermejo
Lorenzo Bermejo
English to Spanish
+ ...
Project Settings Nov 29, 2019

Hi Edoardo and Samuel,
I see that in Project Settings > Verification > QA Checker > Length Verification, you can setup if during QA you want Studio to throw an Error message when target segments are longer in % than the source segments.
Maybe that was what you were looking for.

Abdifatah Aden

Andrew Ivanchenko
Andrew Ivanchenko
Ukraine
Local time: 19:13
English to Russian
+ ...
Same problem Mar 15, 2020

I have a same problem, the only difference is that my target segments should not exceed source ones by more than 3 characters.
This percentage limitation obviously does not work. The only way out I found is typing the target text first, copying source to target, memorizing the count, clicking Ctrl + Z (undoing), looking at the count of the target text I typed before and making sure it does not exceed the count of the source one by more than 3 characters.

[Edited at 2020-03-15 12:0
... See more
I have a same problem, the only difference is that my target segments should not exceed source ones by more than 3 characters.
This percentage limitation obviously does not work. The only way out I found is typing the target text first, copying source to target, memorizing the count, clicking Ctrl + Z (undoing), looking at the count of the target text I typed before and making sure it does not exceed the count of the source one by more than 3 characters.

[Edited at 2020-03-15 12:00 GMT]
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
I would use External View Mar 15, 2020

Andrew Ivanchenko wrote:

[Edited at 2020-03-15 12:00 GMT]

This sounds rather awkward and time consuming. The way I would do it, would be to finish the first translated draft, then export it as External View.
Copy the Word table into Excel and create a test where Excel checks if the target cell is less or equal to the number in source + 3 characters and flagg those rows that don't fulfill this '. I would think you would save yourself a lot of work this way since you can't do this directly in Studio.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2015 - How to limit target character number

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »