Frank Zou
Frank Zou  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 15:54
Member (2016)
Chinese to English
+ ...
Nov 27, 2019

I use TRADOS 2017. It was a new project (with new TM), about 10,000 words. After I "generate target translation", I only get partially generated target text; about 80% of the text are still the source language.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:54
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Frank Nov 27, 2019

Frank Zou wrote:
After I "generate target translation", I only get partially generated target text; about 80% of the text are still the source language.

Are all the segments in the SDLXLIFF file translated? In Trados, go to the Review tab and then to the segment filter (which looks like a funnel) and check that you have the "All segments" filter enabled. Optionally also try some of the other filters to see which segments have those statuses.

Have you selected all segments and changed their status to "translated"? To select all segments in Trados 2017, you have to click the first segment number at the top, scroll down to the bottom, and Shift + click the last segment number at the bottom, then right-click anywhere in the segment number column (not on the source or target text!) and select "Change segment status".

When looking at the text that is not translated in the final file, can you see those untranslated sentences anywhere in the source text of the SDLXLIFF file? If not, it would mean that Trados did not extract those segments into the SDLXLIFF file.

[Edited at 2019-11-27 08:28 GMT]

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Have you run Verify? Nov 27, 2019

Frank Zou wrote:
I use TRADOS 2017. It was a new project (with new TM), about 10,000 words. After I "generate target translation", I only get partially generated target text; about 80% of the text are still the source language.

If you have translated everything, the first thing I am thinking of, is some sort of tag problem here. So check that all tags are in place and the right order.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Verify Nov 27, 2019

Roy Oestensen wrote:
Check that all tags are in place and the right order [by running Verify].

FWIW, there are two functions in Trados called "verify", that work in slightly different ways:

1. The first one is the project-wide verification: right-click the project and select Batch Tasks > Verify Files. This creates a report of all the errors, but doesn't allow you to easily jump to each error.
2. The second one is the view verification: when files are open in a "view", click the "Verify Document" button at the far right of the Review tab. You can also press F8 while a view is open. This allows you to jump to each segment with an error by clicking on the error itself.

Frank Zou
Frank Zou  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 15:54
Member (2016)
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Everything's fine except the target text Nov 27, 2019

Everything's fine without any error shown except the target text is only partial target text.

I don't know why but the problem was caused by the large table with dozens of pictures in the source text.

After I removed all the pictures in the table, take the table out and translated it as a separate file in the Studio, the result was fine.

Then, I went through the source text without the table, all the target texts were generated,

Finally, I ma
... See more
Everything's fine without any error shown except the target text is only partial target text.

I don't know why but the problem was caused by the large table with dozens of pictures in the source text.

After I removed all the pictures in the table, take the table out and translated it as a separate file in the Studio, the result was fine.

Then, I went through the source text without the table, all the target texts were generated,

Finally, I manually copied the contents of the table and the job was done.

I still wonder, though, what's wrong with the table?
Collapse

sidlejinx
sidlejinx
Ukraine
Local time: 09:54
English to Russian
+ ...
The same problem Feb 17, 2020

I had the same problem. Once with a table too, and the other time with plain text.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

partial generation of target text

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »