https://wiki.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/338266-what_is_the_point_of_the_language_setting_in_a_project.html

What is the point of the language setting in a project?
Thread poster: Nicholas Knutsen

Nicholas Knutsen
Mexico
Local time: 20:42
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Oct 24, 2019

This is a very basic question, but I just realized after using Trados Studio for some years, that I have no idea what the point of the project language settings are.

I always have to add my TM as AnyTM, even though the language pair of the TM matches the one of the project, otherwise I get an error message that I have not been able to figure out.

Anyway, I created a project but by mistake I chose EN>NO instead of SE>NO. I added the correct TM (SE>NO), but this worked fi
... See more
This is a very basic question, but I just realized after using Trados Studio for some years, that I have no idea what the point of the project language settings are.

I always have to add my TM as AnyTM, even though the language pair of the TM matches the one of the project, otherwise I get an error message that I have not been able to figure out.

Anyway, I created a project but by mistake I chose EN>NO instead of SE>NO. I added the correct TM (SE>NO), but this worked fine, I guess because I added it as AnyTM. But what does it mean that there is a mismatch between the project language pair and the TM language pair? It seems to have no consequence.
Collapse

NeoAtlas
Spain
Local time: 03:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
Language-locale? Oct 25, 2019

As an example, there will be a mismatch language combination between en-US to nb-NO in your project and en-UK to nb-NO in your TM, just because the English locale are different. Same thing about Norwegian (I can count 6 flavours).
If languages match exactly, you won't need AnyTM.

LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:42
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
For extra revenue and auto-localization rules Oct 25, 2019

Two reasons:
1. SDL wants you to buy the Professional version if you exceed their absurdly (especially for anyone for works from a cluster of very closely related or nearly identical source languages) low limit of 5 installation languages. So they make things difficult in this regard just because they can.
2. Auto-localization rules (date and time formats, decimal separators, etc.) will differ by language and flavor. So if the respective defaults are automatically set up when a proje
... See more
Two reasons:
1. SDL wants you to buy the Professional version if you exceed their absurdly (especially for anyone for works from a cluster of very closely related or nearly identical source languages) low limit of 5 installation languages. So they make things difficult in this regard just because they can.
2. Auto-localization rules (date and time formats, decimal separators, etc.) will differ by language and flavor. So if the respective defaults are automatically set up when a project language/variant is chosen, then it makes sense this selection would be important.

Otherwise, I really do get your point. It's not like the fuzzy matching algorithms vary by language. Or do they?
Collapse

Nicholas Knutsen

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the point of the language setting in a project?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »