Ronza Al-Nouri  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 11:43
Member (2016)
German to Arabic
+ ...
Oct 13

Dears colleagues,

I'm thinking about getting "SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance" but before I buy it, I need to clarify two points.

1) Is it a lifelong or a yearly licence?

2) My laptop is 5 years old but it still works. Anyway, if it stopps to work and I buy a new one, should a buy a new licence?

Thank you very much,

R.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Ronza Oct 13

Ronza Al-Nouri wrote:
1) Is it a lifelong or a yearly licence?

Lifelong.

Get the "Plus" version, which gives you the right to use two licenses simultaneously.

However, eventually you're going to have a computer that it will no longer run on (think of all those Windows 95 programs that you bought with lifelong licenses, but which can't run on Windows 10), or you'll want to work for clients who insist that you use a more recent version of it.

Typically, when you tell clients that you have Trados, you tell them the version number as well. This means that if we eventually have Trados 2029, but you only have Trados 2019, it won't matter too much because the client will know that you have Trados 2019 because you said so.

Trados releases a new version once every 2 or 3 years, but some of the files created with the latest version still works on the version released 6 years ago. Some upgrades are free, but most are sold with a bit of a discount. For example, Trados 2019 new costs about EUR 800, but if you have Trados 2017 you can upgrade to Trados 2019 for about EUR 200, or if you have Trados 2015 you can upgrade to Trados 2019 for about EUR 300. If you have Trados 2014 or Trados 2011 and you want the latest version, you'd have to buy it outright (about EUR 800)

2) My laptop is 5 years old but it still works. Anyway, if it stops to work and I buy a new one, should a buy a new licence?

No. You can continue to use your old license on the new computer (but you must tell the Trados company to reset the license count for you, or you can "return" and get back the license yourself if you know how to do that).

[Edited at 2019-10-13 14:36 GMT]

mareug

Ronza Al-Nouri  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2016)
German to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Oct 13

Thank you very much for the helpful information.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Licence for SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within SDL Trados Studio

SDL Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search