UK to US in Trados without manually inserting.
Thread poster: gauloise
gauloise
gauloise
United States
Local time: 21:50
Member (2020)
Italian to English
+ ...
Jul 4, 2019

My client sent me two packages for Trados. One for UK English and one for US. They want me to translate one file, and then change the spelling for US.

The packages are pre-made, so after I translate the GB and open the US, I can't figure out a way to automatically copy all the work from the GB package to the US. If I duplicate the GB package file and change the name to US, when I open the package it still says GB, so that won't work.

It will take me ages to go segment
... See more
My client sent me two packages for Trados. One for UK English and one for US. They want me to translate one file, and then change the spelling for US.

The packages are pre-made, so after I translate the GB and open the US, I can't figure out a way to automatically copy all the work from the GB package to the US. If I duplicate the GB package file and change the name to US, when I open the package it still says GB, so that won't work.

It will take me ages to go segment by segment and fill in the US file just to change a word or two.

They said they can't make a new package from the completed GB file on their end and I must do it myself.

Any help? There must be some kind of automatic way. I find Trados really unintuitive and like a time machine back to 1999.

Also, I try to create my own TMs of the GB file, but when I try to open them in the US file, nothing happens. It only allows me to use the TM attached to the package (which doesnt have the GB data)

(Also I tried importing review files and it doesn't work)

Thanks for any help!

[Edited at 2019-07-04 09:36 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-07-04 10:29 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-07-04 11:24 GMT]
Collapse

Andrea Garfield-Barkworth
Andrea Garfield-Barkworth  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2015)
German to English
Check this thread Jul 4, 2019

A similar question was asked in the SDL Community. Here is the post: https://community.sdl.com/product-groups/translationproductivity/f/studio/17732/change-a-translated-document-from-us-to-uk-english . You will obviously need to do it the other way round. Hope it helps.

gauloise

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Gauloise Jul 4, 2019

gauloise wrote:
If I duplicate the GB package file and change the name to US, when I open the package it still says GB, so that won't work.

The fact that these are packages may mean that even if you do manage to convert the GB file that it is a US file, the package may not "work" when the client tries to import it.

They said they can't make a new package from the completed GB file on their end and I must do it myself.

You can't. To create a forward package, you need the agency version of Trados. What the client should do, is to import your GB return package, then create a whole new project for US and then pre-translate the US project against your returned GB project's TM, and then generate a US forward package for you. This is a lot of work, so even if they can, perhaps they simply don't want to. Or: they are not the end-client themselves and do not actually have the agency version of Trados themselves.

Any help? There must be some kind of automatic way.

No, but what you can try is to use the bilingual review feature.

(Also I tried importing review files and it doesn't work)

Okay, well... try it again after reading this.

You basically create a bilingual review file for both GB and US, and then copy the English text from the GB to the US file, and then import the US project's bilingual review file, and which will put the English text into the US project's target fields for you to edit further. You can't use bilingual review if you use Office 2000, Office 2003 or Office 2017 (and even then, it may fail). Also, you can't import the GB bilingual review file directly into the US project -- you have to copy/paste.

So:
1. In Trados, on the left pane, click "Projects" to open project list view, and in the right pane right-click the GB project and select Batch Tasks > Export for Bilingual Review.
2. Now go to the US project, open its files, and copy source to target for all segments (since bilingual review import doesn't want to import to empty segmens). To copy source to target for all, select all segments by clicking on the segment *numbers*, and right-click on the segment numbers and select Copy Source to Target.
3. Now export the US project in the same way: on the left pane, click "Projects" to open project list view, and in the right pane right-click the US project and select Batch Tasks > Export for Bilingual Review.
4. Open both bilingual review Word files. Copy the English text from the GB one to the US one (using tracked changes is optional -- so disable it, you won't need it).
5. Now import the US bilingual review file again: on the left pane, click "Projects" to open project list view, and in the right pane right-click the US project and select Batch Tasks > Update for Bilingual Review.
6. Pray (or pray beforehand), and if your deity favours you, the US project will now have the GB text in it.

Do not make any edits to either project in Trados while you're using bilingual review (otherwise the bilingual review file will refuse to be imported). If you have tags, bilingual review might fail as well. If you're out of luck, bilingual review import will fail.

I find Trados really unintuitive and like a time machine back to 1999.

Ironically, it's the "modern" ribbon interface that causes this.

Also, I try to create my own TMs of the GB file, but when I try to open them in the US file, nothing happens.

Yes... I guess (I'm no expert) you have to change the language code in the TM, and the only way to do that is to export the TM to TMX, then open the TMX file in a text editor (e.g. Akelpad) to change the language codes, then create a brand new US TM in Trados and import the TMX file into it. AFAIK you can't change a TM's language codes inside Trados.

Andrea Garfield-Barkworth wrote:
A similar question was asked in the SDL Community. Here is the post: https://community.sdl.com/product-groups/translationproductivity/f/studio/17732/change-a-translated-document-from-us-to-uk-english

Paul's suggestion comes down to sending the client the SDLXLIFF file instead of the return package. This is the simplest solution, if the client is happy with it. But since you're effectively sending a hacked version of the GB file, the client's Trados version may not be happy to import it into their US project. However, it's worth a shot (but if it doesn't work, you may have to redo all the work you did...).

[Edited at 2019-07-04 10:24 GMT]

gauloise

gauloise
gauloise
United States
Member (2020)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jul 4, 2019

Thank you Samuel and Andrea for your help, it is really greatly appreciated!

Samuel, thanks for taking the time to write such an in-depth explanation, it has been a great help

ETA: If anyone else has this problem, I tried the cut and paste method, but it didn't work, unfortunately

[Edited at 2019-07-04 11:25 GMT]

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
I am not sure if totally understand your problem, but..... Jul 4, 2019

..... there is a function called "Any TM". Create one and put the whole translation, UK and US, into that TM and send it to the client.

If not possible, create a TM, any TM, and your client can open it under "Any TM".

If I understood you wrong, my excuses.

[Edited at 2019-07-04 23:27 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-07-04 23:29 GMT]

gauloise
gauloise
United States
Member (2020)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Anytm missing Jul 5, 2019

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

..... there is a function called "Any TM". Create one and put the whole translation, UK and US, into that TM and send it to the client.

If not possible, create a TM, any TM, and your client can open it under "Any TM".

If I understood you wrong, my excuses.

[Edited at 2019-07-04 23:27 GMT]

Thanks Robert, I have Trados 2017 and it says AnyTM is built in. When I follow an online tutorial, I am missing the Add button. It just says create. I have looked for help on the trados site, and it says "click add" in the menu without saying how you can get the add button to show up or what menu it is under. I have no idea how this software is the industry standard.

I am not sure if the problem is that I am using a package and not starting from scratch myself

[Edited at 2019-07-05 15:08 GMT]

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Not 'add, but 'use' Jul 5, 2019

gauloise wrote:
I have no idea how this software is the industry standard.

You are looking for a wrong button. And to be exact, you should not look for any button but do the following:

Project settings -- your language pair (or 'All lang. pairs' - whatever is used in your project) -- Translation memory ans automation -- In the 'Use...' tab open the drop-down list and choose whatever you need.

gauloise
gauloise
United States
Member (2020)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Add AnyTM? Jul 7, 2019

Natalie wrote:

gauloise wrote:
I have no idea how this software is the industry standard.

You are looking for a wrong button. And to be exact, you should not look for any button but do the following:

Project settings -- your language pair (or 'All lang. pairs' - whatever is used in your project) -- Translation memory ans automation -- In the 'Use...' tab open the drop-down list and choose whatever you need.

When I do that (try to add UK Eng to US Eng) I get an error message saying this language not supported for this projects language pair. Use "Add---> AnyTM"

I don't have an add button. There are online video tutorials, and the Add before is before the create button. I don't have it in my Trados 17, and it is supposed to be built in

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Please re-read once more Jul 7, 2019

Project settings -- your language pair (or 'All lang. pairs' - whatever is used in your project) -- Translation memory and automation -- In the 'Use...' tab open the drop-down list and choose whatever you need (AnyTM or whatewer you like).

gauloise
gauloise
United States
Member (2020)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That doesnt work Jul 8, 2019

Natalie wrote:

Project settings -- your language pair (or 'All lang. pairs' - whatever is used in your project) -- Translation memory and automation -- In the 'Use...' tab open the drop-down list and choose whatever you need (AnyTM or whatewer you like).

Yes, Nathalie, I understand, I have tried that, if you read my above post you can see the error message I receive. Thanks for your help, though.

[Edited at 2019-07-08 08:28 GMT]

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
You are definitely doing something wrong Jul 8, 2019

[quote]gauloise wrote:

Robert Rietvelt wrote:
I have Trados 2017 and it says AnyTM is built in. When I follow an online tutorial, I am missing the Add button. It just says create.

It looks to me that you are confusing the AnyTM function (which is really built in Studio 2017) and adding an ANY TM to a project. The function is built in, but you need to create your own TM in order to be able to add (aka use) it in your projects.

[Edited at 2019-07-08 12:44 GMT]

gauloise
gauloise
United States
Member (2020)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I get error message Jul 8, 2019

[quote]Natalie wrote:

gauloise wrote:

Robert Rietvelt wrote:
I have Trados 2017 and it says AnyTM is built in. When I follow an online tutorial, I am missing the Add button. It just says create.

It looks to me that you are confusing the AnyTM function (which is really built in Studio 2017) and adding an ANY TM to a project. The function is built in, but you need to create your own TM in order to be able to add (aka use) it in your projects.

[Edited at 2019-07-08 12:44 GMT]

Yes, I understand all that. I do create my own TM. It isn't accepted and I get the error message. Thank you very much Natalie, but please understand, I do all those things and get an error message. I am replying just so people know I have not resolved my problem.

If anyone else can give me advice on how to do the "Add AnyTM" function so I do not get the error message or how to create a AnyTM from a UK TM that can be used in a US file from a package, please let me know.

Martina Klett
Martina Klett  Identity Verified
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Give Samuels 2nd suggestion a try Jul 8, 2019

Hi gauloise,

maybe you could try to follow Samuels 2nd suggestion if you have not done that already, i.e.:

[quote from Samuels post] "Yes... I guess (I'm no expert) you have to change the language code in the TM, and the only way to do that is to export the TM to TMX, then open the TMX file in a text editor (e.g. Akelpad) to change the language codes, then create a brand new US TM in Trados and import the TMX file into it. AFAIK you can't change a TM's language codes in
... See more
Hi gauloise,

maybe you could try to follow Samuels 2nd suggestion if you have not done that already, i.e.:

[quote from Samuels post] "Yes... I guess (I'm no expert) you have to change the language code in the TM, and the only way to do that is to export the TM to TMX, then open the TMX file in a text editor (e.g. Akelpad) to change the language codes, then create a brand new US TM in Trados and import the TMX file into it. AFAIK you can't change a TM's language codes inside Trados."

1. Open your GB project, export the TM containing your translation in tmx format
2. Open the tmx file in Notepad++ (or the editor suggested by Samuel)
3. Replace "en-GB" with "en-US" and save the tmx file
4. Open your US project, import the tmx file in the TM belonging to this project
[alternatively, create a new, normal TM with the pertaining language combination xxXX-enUS and add this TM to the US project]
5. Open the file to be translated into enUS and use the batch function "pretranslate file"

In Studio 2015, this works for me - hopefully, Studio 2017 offers the same options.

HTH,
Martina
Collapse

Adam Warren

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

UK to US in Trados without manually inserting.

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »