Eva Horetzeder
Eva Horetzeder  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Apr 29, 2019

Hi,

I have started to translate a PDF file in Studio Trados 2019 and saved the target file (Word) as usually. However, this time I can't open the target word file, a message pops up saying that Word has experienced an error trying to open the file. Suggesting to : Check the file permissions for the document or file etc.

Has anyone seen this message before and could give me any advice? Where can I check file permissions? Is there any settings in Trados I missed ?
... See more
Hi,

I have started to translate a PDF file in Studio Trados 2019 and saved the target file (Word) as usually. However, this time I can't open the target word file, a message pops up saying that Word has experienced an error trying to open the file. Suggesting to : Check the file permissions for the document or file etc.

Has anyone seen this message before and could give me any advice? Where can I check file permissions? Is there any settings in Trados I missed ?

Many thanks for your help!!

Eva
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:30
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Did you reboot yet? Apr 29, 2019

Eva Horetzeder wrote:
"Check the file permissions for the document or file" etc.

Before we continue, did you reboot yet and then try to open the file while Trados is not running?

Eva Horetzeder
Eva Horetzeder  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Before we continue, did you reboot yet and then try to open the file while Trados is not running? Apr 29, 2019

Yes, I did, I restarted the system and tried to open the saved file. Same message, I am afraid. Any ideas? Thanks Samuel

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Tag problem? Apr 29, 2019

I would check for tag problems, for instance misplaced tags or text in the wrong place compared to the tags.

I think the Verify function can help you here.

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 22:30
French to English
+ ...
Have you tried converting the PDF to Word before adding it to the project? Apr 29, 2019

1. The PDF is just a Word file, saved as PDF. In this case, open it in Word and you will know right away whether this is the issue.

2. The PDF is scanned, in which case converting it before adding it to Trados may well solve the problem.

In any case, splitting and re-assembling the PDF using one of the many utilities that can do this will solve any permission problems, if there were any.

HTH,
Sandra

Stanislav Okhvat
Stanislav Okhvat
Local time: 23:30
English to Russian
Re: Problems opening target word file after translating PDF in Trados 2019 May 1, 2019

Hello Eva,

When you import a PDF document into Trados Studio 2019, Studio creates a Word document behind the scenes, and then imports this Word document. In some cases the Word document may contain structural elements that will cause Studio to crash. This depends on the complexity of the layout in your PDF document. If your PDF contains a single column of text (like most documents), with occasional images, and you can actually select all the text when you open the PDF in Adobe Reade
... See more
Hello Eva,

When you import a PDF document into Trados Studio 2019, Studio creates a Word document behind the scenes, and then imports this Word document. In some cases the Word document may contain structural elements that will cause Studio to crash. This depends on the complexity of the layout in your PDF document. If your PDF contains a single column of text (like most documents), with occasional images, and you can actually select all the text when you open the PDF in Adobe Reader, then Studio 2019 should import this PDF without any issues. However, if the document contains 2 or 3 columns of flowing text (like in newspapers or magazines), tables without table borders, text floating above images, etc., then Studio may have issues with your PDF file (which you will need to work around inside translation editor and/or fix after exporting the translated file), sometimes these issues will cause Studio to crash.

I would recommend you to convert the PDF to Word first and then import it into Trados Studio:
1) Check whether you can select text in this PDF file: open it in Adobe Reader and try pressing Ctrl+A to select all text. If the text becomes selected on all pages, then the PDF can be converted to Word format using any PDF converter. If the text cannot be selected, you actually need a PDF converter that can perform OCR (optical character recognition), as not all PDF converters support OCR.
2) Use Adobe ExportPDF service or a good PDF converter / OCR application like ABBYY Finereader to convert this document.

By the way, on May 16 I will be holding a free webinar about converting PDFs to Microsoft Word format. I will describe how to use ABBYY Finereader in order to create translation-friendly Word documents with a proper layout, and how to format them properly before translation in order to avoid excessive tags, incorrect segmentation, partially invisible text, and other issues. Here is the link: https://webinar.utic.eu/webinar/stanislav_okhvat/

Best regards,
Stanislav Okhvat
TransTools – Useful tools for every translator
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Another possibility: InFix May 1, 2019

If it for some reason is interesting to get a pdf as a result, then InFix would be a possibility. It converts the pdf to an xtm format if I remember right (sorry if the format is called something different). You then translate this xmt file and import the translation into InFix, which then creates the translated pdf. I believe it works quite well, but there may be issues with font size as the translation may need a different amount of space from the source.

Roy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems opening target word file after translating PDF in Trados 2019

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »