Thomas Loob
Thomas Loob  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 12:41
English to Swedish
+ ...
Apr 3, 2019

Hello
I am becoming increasingly irritated with SDl and its products.
First, they release snth they call Passolo 2018 and it is not even a functioning version.
I try to connect to a Multiterm termbase and to some TMs to keep consistency, but it shows this error box:
untitled

So then I tried to be clever and instead use Import and the formats are xfg and ctr.
Opened MT to create such a file, but nope, can't do that.
Went to SDL Knowledgebase and searched for "xfg" and lo and behold, no search hits at all.
Why call xfg and ctr for "SDL Import files" when they aren't even referenced in support material?

When I try to connect the TM in Passolo, it shows error messages when I even look and the Setup button

ERROR - Unhandled Exception in Add-In. Component='DnTradosStudio.AddInComponent' Method='Initialize' Message='Could not load file or assembly 'Sdl.LanguagePlatform.Core, Version=1.6.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=c28cdb26c445c888' or one of its dependencies. Ogiltig pekare. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80004003 (E_POINTER))' StackTrace=' at DnTradosStudio.TMInternals.TradosStudioLanguagePairs..ctor(ITranslationsCallback transCallback)
at DnTradosStudio.Threading.StudioThreadQueueItem..ctor(ITranslationsCallback callback)
at DnTradosStudio.TradosStudioTranslator.InitializeThread()
at DnTradosStudio.AddInComponent.Initialize(CPAIInit init, CPAIApplicationTools apptools, CPAIAddIn addin)
at PAIFN_Initialize(PAISTRUCT_INIT* init, IPAIApplicationTools* apptools, IPAIAddIn* addin)'

Anyone have any idea how to solve these problems?

[Redigerad 2019-04-03 08:21 GMT]

[Redigerad 2019-04-03 08:29 GMT]

[Redigerad 2019-04-03 11:48 GMT]

Thomas Loob
Estonia
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wake up call for Trados support on this site Apr 8, 2019

Got this solution:
Studio issue:
1- Copy the path to the installation folder ie. C:\Program Files\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\Studio2 (or 3 or even 4)
2- Open the Notepad in Administrator mode (ie. click Start then right click on Notepad then choose Run as Administrator.
3- Click Open > File.
4- Fill in the File name field with the path to the Passolo settings file for Studio (ie. C:\Program Files (x86)\SDL\SDL Passolo\SDL Passolo Translator 2018\System\DnTradosStudio) th
... See more
Got this solution:
Studio issue:
1- Copy the path to the installation folder ie. C:\Program Files\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\Studio2 (or 3 or even 4)
2- Open the Notepad in Administrator mode (ie. click Start then right click on Notepad then choose Run as Administrator.
3- Click Open > File.
4- Fill in the File name field with the path to the Passolo settings file for Studio (ie. C:\Program Files (x86)\SDL\SDL Passolo\SDL Passolo Translator 2018\System\DnTradosStudio) then choose All files (*.*) in the drop down list. Double-click the settings.xml file.
5- Once the file is open, paste the Studio installation folder hereabove between the tags and (without space).
6- Close the file and save the changes

Then Open Passolo again, and check that the connection with Studio is OK (Tools > Add-Ins, then click the Translation Tab and click Load). A green check should replace the red cross.

Multiterm:
You should check that you have the .pai file corresponding to your MT (ie. PAITransMultiTerm.pai) in folder C:\Program Files (x86)\SDL\SDL Passolo\SDL Passolo Translator 2018\System.
I also copied the below .pai file from it's location in the Trados folder under System to System. Now I have two MultiTerm connections of which one works.
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Can Passolo projects be done in Studio? Apr 8, 2019

Thomas Loob wrote:
Got this solution:
Studio issue:
3- Click Open > File.
4- Fill in the File name field with the path to the Passolo settings file for Studio (ie. C:\Program Files (x86)\SDL\SDL Passolo\SDL Passolo Translator 2018\System\DnTradosStudio) then choose All files (*.*) in the drop down list. Double-click the settings.xml file.
5- Once the file is open, paste the Studio installation folder hereabove between the tags and (without space).
6- Close the file and save the changes

I got a Passolo request the other day and declined the job because I am not working in Passolo. But does the above mean that it is possible to do the translation of Passolo projects in Studio? Because then I might after all say yes to Passolo jobs.

Angela Malik
Angela Malik  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:41
German to English
+ ...
Same problem here! Apr 8, 2019

Roy Oestensen wrote:

I got a Passolo request the other day and declined the job because I am not working in Passolo. But does the above mean that it is possible to do the translation of Passolo projects in Studio? Because then I might after all say yes to Passolo jobs.

No, Roy. You cannot translate Passolo projects in Studio (unless there is a crazy workaround).

What Thomas Loob is referring to is the fact that Passolo SHOULD be able to connect to MultiTerm termbases and Studio TMs, so you can use those for terminology/concordance while working in Passolo. But like Thomas, I have also not been able to connect to termbases and TMs in Passolo 2018. It is mighty frustrating!

Thomas, I don't even know if I understood your second message at all -- I think I may just have to try it when I have the time and see if I can get Passolo to work with termbases/TMs again.

Thomas Loob
Estonia
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Futher explanation Apr 8, 2019

Angela Rimmer wrote:
Thomas, I don't even know if I understood your second message at all -- I think I may just have to try it when I have the time and see if I can get Passolo to work with termbases/TMs again.

Copy the Studio path (might be C:\Program Files (x86)\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\Studio5 for Studio 2017).
Open Notepad as an admin to be able to edit the Passolo settings xml file.

Then open the Passolo 2018 settings file "C:\Program Files (x86)\SDL\SDL Passolo\SDL Passolo Translator 2018\System\DnTradosStudio" in Notepad and copy the path to Studio in the xml file between the InstallLocation tags, it looks like the picture I attached.

Skärmklipp

Then save the xml file. (That's why Notepad must be opened in admin mode.)

Good luck!

[Redigerad 2019-04-08 08:06 GMT]

[Redigerad 2019-04-08 08:06 GMT]

[Redigerad 2019-04-09 05:27 GMT]

Angela Malik
Angela Malik  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:41
German to English
+ ...
Thanks! Will try it later Apr 8, 2019

Thanks Thomas, I'll definitely give it a go later this week. It will be such a relief if I can get it to work again!

Roy Oestensen
Denmark
Member (2010)
+ ...
No Passolo for me then. Apr 8, 2019

Angela Rimmer wrote:
No, Roy. You cannot translate Passolo projects in Studio (unless there is a crazy workaround).

Thanks. That's what I also thought. I am really too old to start learning new CAT tools, and as I also have sufficient work as it is, I will continue to decline passolo tasks.

Roy

Thomas Loob
Estonia
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Learning Apr 9, 2019

Thanks. That's what I also thought. I am really too old to start learning new CAT tools, and as I also have sufficient work as it is, I will continue to decline passolo tasks.
Roy

You're never too old to learn. In fact it is good to learn new things when you are older, keeps the brain from sinking into dementia
The fix is quite simple, too.

Roy Oestensen
Denmark
Member (2010)
+ ...
Agreed Apr 9, 2019

Thomas Loob wrote:
You're never too old to learn. In fact it is good to learn new things when you are older, keeps the brain from sinking into dementia
The fix is quite simple, too.

I wholeheartedly agree with you, but for each new CAT tool that I have to learn, my production goes way down, which is just not worth it. Much better to give priority to Studio, memoQ and Dejavu.

If I am to learn new things, I prefer it to be something which is not related to work so that my production doesn't suffer.

Thomas Loob
Estonia
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A new error! Apr 15, 2019

And as I fixed the error above and did a project in Passolo 2018, the next problem comes along.

Now the program has problems with Unicode. I can't even use it, it just shuts down.
Total junk.

[Redigerad 2019-04-15 06:46 GMT]

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
German to French
+ ...
Unicode? Apr 15, 2019

Thomas Loob wrote:

Now the program has problems with Unicode. I can't even use it, it just shuts down.

I'm a Passolo user for a long time and I don't understand what means"has problems with Unicode". Could you explain?

Thomas Loob
Estonia
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Passolo 2018, Unicode stopped working Apr 15, 2019

That's the error message. Then passolo 2018 closes down. I see from a bux fix for 2018 that Unicode has been an issue.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Passolo 2018 and connecting to Studio and Multiterm does not work

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »