Thread poster: sidlejinx
sidlejinx
sidlejinx
Ukraine
Local time: 00:44
English to Russian
+ ...
Feb 6, 2019

I use SDL Trados Studio 2017. Can I mark some text fragments in my source file to prevent them from appearing in the SDL project (this text should not be translated)? I know this can be done by marking the text in red in DejaVu. Does SDL support the feature?

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 23:44
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Try hiding the text in the source document Feb 7, 2019

I mainly work in Dejavu, and mostly receive Studio jobs as packages or sdlxliff file so I don't have to be concerned with text that should not be imported.

But I know that Dejavu now supports not importing text (cells) that are hidden in Excel, so it may well be that this is the case in Studio also. At least I would try that.

If the text isn't a full cell, at least I'd try marking it with red as for Dejavu, but I suspect you have already tried that road.

Ro
... See more
I mainly work in Dejavu, and mostly receive Studio jobs as packages or sdlxliff file so I don't have to be concerned with text that should not be imported.

But I know that Dejavu now supports not importing text (cells) that are hidden in Excel, so it may well be that this is the case in Studio also. At least I would try that.

If the text isn't a full cell, at least I'd try marking it with red as for Dejavu, but I suspect you have already tried that road.

Roy
Collapse

Anthony Rudd
Anthony Rudd

German to English
+ ...
Marking text as non-translatable Feb 7, 2019

What is your source format?

sidlejinx
sidlejinx
Ukraine
Local time: 00:44
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Format Feb 7, 2019

mainly .doc, .docx

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Why do you mention text marked with red? Feb 7, 2019

You mentioned that with Dejavu you can mark text in red to show that it should not be imported. But this is for Excel sheets. For .doc and .docx files you hide the text you don't want imported, and tells Dejavu that it should disregard it.

I would have thought that this is the same with Studio, although I have not checked if you have a special setting for not importing hidden text.

Roy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2017: how to mark text that should be left untranslated

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »