How to merge segments using 'project settings'?
Thread poster: Luke Hubbard (X)
Luke Hubbard (X)
Luke Hubbard (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:06
German to English
Feb 5, 2019

Hi,

I'm currently doing the training for SDL Trados and the instructions have asked me to merge two segments for a sample PDF file. I've used the 'highlight, right click + select merge segments'. However, these instructions ask us to go into 'project settings' and 'allow source editing' and 'enable merging segments across paragraphs'. I'v selected both but still cannot merge the segments. Any ideas?

Thank you

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 20:06
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
I would convert the pdf into a Word document and fix it there Feb 5, 2019

It usually is better to fix the pdf in Word before importing rather than fiddling with merging segments in Studio.

I suspect the problem is a hard paragraph shift that is the culprit for you, which Studio may not allow to be merged.

Therefore, better to remove the line shift in Word first.

Luke Hubbard (X)
United Kingdom
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Convert it to Word? Feb 6, 2019

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. Do I convert the pdf into Word before uploading it into Studio or once it has been uploaded, view it in Word and then change it there?

Thank you

Luke Hubbard (X)
United Kingdom
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
What I failed to add Feb 6, 2019

Sorry, I forgot to mention this - the first segment is a heading and the second is listed as a paragraph but it is part of the heading.

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 20:06
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Convert to Word first Feb 7, 2019

Luke Hubbard wrote:

Hi,
Thank you for your reply. Do I convert the pdf into Word before uploading it into Studio or once it has been uploaded, view it in Word and then change it there?
Thank you

I would convert the pdf to Word first and then import it into Studio.

The best would, of course, be if you could get the original from the client. A pdf is a generated document based on some other sort, although if it originally is an Indesign document, this may not solve your problem.

Roy

Luke Hubbard (X)
United Kingdom
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Understood Feb 11, 2019

Roy Oestensen wrote:

Luke Hubbard wrote:

Hi,
Thank you

I would convert the pdf to Word first and then import it into Studio.

The best would, of course, be if you could get the original from the client. A pdf is a generated document based on some other sort, although if it originally is an Indesign document, this may not solve your problem.

Roy

I see now.

Thank you Roy for your help.

Alexandre Nikolaev
Alexandre Nikolaev
Local time: 14:06
French to Russian
I cannot merge even if my original file is Word Feb 26, 2019

The option merge segment is not highlighted

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to merge segments using 'project settings'?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »