Vincenzo Di Maso  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:26
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
Feb 4, 2019

Dear all,

my client requested me to create a two-column Word file to work on.
Basically I have a few files to translate and my client needs the translation inserted in two columns.

Is there a tool simplifying this process?
I have Trados 2014. Is there a straightforward function there?
Of course I have no will to create tables from scratch in Word. That would be bothersome and time-consuming.

Thank you very much in advance.
Your hel
... See more
Dear all,

my client requested me to create a two-column Word file to work on.
Basically I have a few files to translate and my client needs the translation inserted in two columns.

Is there a tool simplifying this process?
I have Trados 2014. Is there a straightforward function there?
Of course I have no will to create tables from scratch in Word. That would be bothersome and time-consuming.

Thank you very much in advance.
Your help will be much appreciated.
Collapse

Mauro Ciaccio
Mauro Ciaccio
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
Windows Layout as Columns Feb 4, 2019

Have you tried simply selecting the following menu options (valid for Office 365***):

Layout - Columns - Two

You can just copy and paster your source text into Word, and then apply the formatting.

This will be a pretty brute force approach, so you will then probably need to define the styles that you require.

Hope that helps

*** Should be the same in older versions

[Edited at 2019-02-04 13:52 GMT]

Andriy Yasharov
Andriy Yasharov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 15:26
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
A two-column Word/rtf file export from a CAT tool Feb 4, 2019

Hi,

Try importing your source file into Studio or any other CAT tool, even a trial version will do, and export the file as a two-column Word/rtf file for translation in MS Word.

Maud Durand

EvaVer (X)
EvaVer (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:26
Czech to French
+ ...
Do you mean... Feb 4, 2019

monolingual text formatted in two columns, or source in one column and target in the other? I suppose the latter. I don't use Trados, but what I would do is, I would transform the source text (in Word) into a table. Then I would use CAT on it, and then create a Word document with a 2-column table and copy the source into one and the trans into the other. Seems complicated, but it is quite fast and it's difficult to get it wrong.

Andriy Yasharov
Andriy Yasharov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 15:26
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
source in one column and target in the other Feb 4, 2019

I mean that it is possible to have the source in one column and the target in the other as discussed in the following topic: www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/312487-how_to_export_generate_a_bilingual_doc_in_trados.html

Vincenzo Di Maso

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 14:26
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Two steps in Word Feb 4, 2019

First, if it isn't already, I convert the source text to a table; then I adjust the width of the rsulting single column to be about half my screen width, so that I can then copy-&-paste the entire column next to itself.
Then I select and set the 'source (probably left-hand) column to the untranslatable attribute for my particular CAT tool, and then translate as normal (of course, only the right-hand column will translate.
This is quite handy, as you always have the 'clean' source tex
... See more
First, if it isn't already, I convert the source text to a table; then I adjust the width of the rsulting single column to be about half my screen width, so that I can then copy-&-paste the entire column next to itself.
Then I select and set the 'source (probably left-hand) column to the untranslatable attribute for my particular CAT tool, and then translate as normal (of course, only the right-hand column will translate.
This is quite handy, as you always have the 'clean' source text just alongside, so can easily copy-&-paste from that if you need to, which is sometimes easier than copying from the source segment.

Aftare clean-up at the end, you can if necessary select the left-hand 'source' column and remove the 'do not translate' attribute; though in many cases, this is not necessary.
Collapse

Vincenzo Di Maso
Vincenzo Di Maso  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all! Feb 4, 2019

thank you all!
It worked by using the bilingual review mode in Trados.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Working with Trados, need a two-column Word doc

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »