Trados 2017: emails and URLs as Recognised Tokens?
Thread poster: Kean Hall
Kean Hall
Kean Hall
Italy
Local time: 16:29
Member (2018)
Italian to English
Feb 3, 2019

Hello, new to Trados. Excuse me in advance if this is somehow an idiot question, but is there no way of setting up emails and URLs as Recognised Tokens so I can quickly transfer them from ST to TT? I've trawled the internet but found nothing.

Thanks in advance.

Adam Warren

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
You may want to start by explaining what you mean by ST and TT Feb 4, 2019

I am a longtime user of Studio, but I cannot recognise ST and TT, so please avoid using abbreviations that others may not recognise.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
I assume Feb 4, 2019

that ST means source text and TT stands for target text.

Kean, you should open the TM settings, go to Fields and Settings section, and tick the Recognize Acronyms option.
If acronym recognition is activated, URLs (hyperlinks) and IP addresses are also recognized as recognized tokens.

[Edited at 2019-02-04 10:19 GMT]

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
OK, sorry for being dumb, but there are so many abbreviations around that I don't recognise them all Feb 4, 2019

Your solution is probably better than mine, since I in such cases usually use Ctr+Insert to copy source to target and then edit target accordingly.

(In actual fact I do my translation work in Dejavu, which copies links from source to target automatically so that I don't have to think more about it.)

Roy

Kean Hall
Kean Hall
Italy
Member (2018)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your replies... Feb 4, 2019

...I shall try your suggestion Natalie. Does the fact that you don't mention emails mean that it is not possible have emails as recognised tokens?

Thanks,
Kean

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Kean Feb 4, 2019

Emails are copied exactly as URLs.

In my case this works perfectly well. I have just finished a rather long translation containing plenty of links and email addresses, and all of them were copied to the target text automatically. So all you need is just looking through all this stuff to be sure that everything is correct.

Kean Hall
Kean Hall
Italy
Member (2018)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
OK thanks... Feb 4, 2019

...I'll try your suggestion.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2017: emails and URLs as Recognised Tokens?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »