Md Abu Alam  Identity Verified
Bangladesh
Local time: 18:08
Member (2009)
English to Bengali
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Jan 11, 2019

I use SDL Trados 2017, but I never performed proofread/review project. One of my client has sent me a Trados package for proofreading and wrote: "Please track your changes in Trados". Does she mean maintaining of track change? How can I do it (I mean menu, sub-menu etc) .

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:08
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Abu Jan 11, 2019

Md Abu Alam wrote:
How can I do it (I mean menu, sub-menu etc).

You need to click a tab called "Review", but it doesn't show up unless you've opened a file. You first have to open a file. Then a "Review" tab will appear. Click it, and then click a button called "Track changes".

Note that unlike in MS Word, tracked changes in Trados is not a document property but a program property. This means that if you close Trados and then reopen it to continue working on a file in which you had previously used tracked change, you'll have to remember to re-enable tracked changes. Trados doesn't remember that.

[Edited at 2019-01-11 09:43 GMT]

Md Abu Alam
Maricenia Jane Rojas Cortez
expressisverbis
Viera Valková

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Open for Review Jan 11, 2019

... instead of Open for translation and then the default is track changes on.

expressisverbis
Giuliana Buscaglione
Viera Valková

Md Abu Alam
Md Abu Alam  Identity Verified
Bangladesh
Local time: 18:08
Member (2009)
English to Bengali
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Thanks Jan 11, 2019

I understood. Thank you very much.

Elif Baykara Narbay
Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 15:08
German to Turkish
+ ...
open for review Jan 11, 2019

In Studio, to be able to review/proofread a file, you need to select the relevant file and then select "open for review" either on the menu or by right-clicking the file name.

I use the 2019 version where "track changes" is the default mode on in the review functionality. I don't know whether this applies to 2017 too or not. But first, you have to open the file in the review mode and not in the translation mode.

Edit: I apologize for repeating the previous comments :/
... See more
In Studio, to be able to review/proofread a file, you need to select the relevant file and then select "open for review" either on the menu or by right-clicking the file name.

I use the 2019 version where "track changes" is the default mode on in the review functionality. I don't know whether this applies to 2017 too or not. But first, you have to open the file in the review mode and not in the translation mode.

Edit: I apologize for repeating the previous comments :/ I was away from the keyboard for a short time and I forgot to refresh it before posting my comment.

[Edited at 2019-01-11 07:41 GMT]
Collapse

Md Abu Alam
Sonia Cunha-Goldner
Marcela Bigardi
expressisverbis

Gordana Sujdovic
Gordana Sujdovic  Identity Verified
Serbia
English to Serbian
+ ...
@Abu Jan 11, 2019

Suggestion: upon completing proofreading, check up your work. Make a copy of that file, as help file, accept all track changes, and run spellcheck, or see whether you made some issues while proofreading (merged words when changing/deleting something, made double spaces etc. - it happens)

[Edited at 2019-01-11 12:34 GMT]

expressisverbis

Elif Baykara Narbay
Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Türkiye
German to Turkish
+ ...
@Gordana Jan 12, 2019

Gordana Sujdovic wrote:

Suggestion: upon completing proofreading, check up your work. Make a copy of that file, as help file, accept all track changes, and run spellcheck, or see whether you made some issues while proofreading (merged words when changing/deleting something, made double spaces etc. - it happens)

[Edited at 2019-01-11 12:34 GMT]

There is already an option for this.

When you open the file for review, on the review tab of the ribbon, you will see a button "Final Mode".

It works just like in Microsoft Word: You can switch the modes with and without the changes shown.

In my opinion, it is quite a safe and easy method of final proofreading a review.

expressisverbis

Gordana Sujdovic
Gordana Sujdovic  Identity Verified
Serbia
English to Serbian
+ ...
@Elif Jan 12, 2019

Thanks:) Never enough learning and so many CATs, online platforms, buttons...This info will be helpful for other translators, for sure.

Francesco Toscano
Francesco Toscano  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
help with the review of a bilingual table Feb 14, 2022

Hi everyone!
My client asked me to review a bilingual Word table using Trados. How shall I do that?
If I open the Review tab in Trados the target text appears on the left, together with the source document.
Thanks.

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 13:08
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Source and target texts listed in the Source column? Feb 14, 2022

Francesco Toscano wrote:

Hi everyone!
My client asked me to review a bilingual Word table using Trados. How shall I do that?
If I open the Review tab in Trados the target text appears on the left, together with the source document.
Thanks.

I believe you can find a solution here:
https://community.rws.com/product-groups/trados-portfolio/trados-studio/f/studio/26126/all-source-and-target-text-listed-in-the-source-column-importing-from-ms-word

Stepan Konev
Francesco Toscano

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
You need the entire project Feb 14, 2022

Francesco Toscano wrote:
My client asked me to review a bilingual Word table using Trados
Is it a simple 2-column table created by your client or a special Trados-generated and properly marked up table? In both cases you will have to prepare the file for work. How you prepare it depends on your answer to the above question. But both cases involve hacking — you can't just open a 2-column Word table in Trados and go on.
If you are not prepared for hacking, ask your client to send you a package.

expressisverbis
Francesco Toscano

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Francesco Feb 14, 2022

Francesco Toscano wrote:

Hi everyone!
Thanks.

In addition to what has been already said, if this is a Trados-generated file, then you can simply proofread it in Word with tracked changes and send back to the client who will be able to import it back to Trados. That's all.
While proofreading be cautious in order not to change in the table of anything else besides the proofread target column. Also do not change the filename.

Stepan Konev
expressisverbis
Francesco Toscano
Jorge Payan

Francesco Toscano
Francesco Toscano  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
bilingual table which was built manually Feb 14, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:

Francesco Toscano wrote:
My client asked me to review a bilingual Word table using Trados
Is it a simple 2-column table created by your client or a special Trados-generated and properly marked up table? In both cases you will have to prepare the file for work. How you prepare it depends on your answer to the above question. But both cases involve hacking — you can't just open a 2-column Word table in Trados and go on.
If you are not prepared for hacking, ask your client to send you a package.

Basically it is a 3k segment document. The agency/client provided a bilingual table which was built manually.
So I guess this is the reason why I cannot review the document in Trados.
I will ask the agency for help, thanks.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proofreading in SDL Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »