Gurudutt Kamath  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 21:01
French to English
+ ...
Nov 1, 2018

Hi all,
Trados Studio 2019, Micorosoft Word 2016

I exported a Bilingual Review File in Word. Reviewed the Word file with track changes. When I import it...there are no changes made to my SDLX file. I got a warning message and an error message (Segment 282 is repeated. Another message: The file has track changes, TQAs comments and cannot be used or some such). I removed the tracked changes and comments and tried again. But with no luck.

Not sure what I can do to ge
... See more
Hi all,
Trados Studio 2019, Micorosoft Word 2016

I exported a Bilingual Review File in Word. Reviewed the Word file with track changes. When I import it...there are no changes made to my SDLX file. I got a warning message and an error message (Segment 282 is repeated. Another message: The file has track changes, TQAs comments and cannot be used or some such). I removed the tracked changes and comments and tried again. But with no luck.

Not sure what I can do to get it working.

Also, is there a way in which I can manipulate the Bilingual Review File say in Excel or Word and use it to get my job done. Is there a way to open the Bilingual Review File as an SDLX file?

Any solutions?

Thanks and best wishes.

Guru
Collapse

Adam Warren
Adam Warren  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 17:31
Member (2005)
French to English
A similar experience Nov 1, 2018

Hullo Gurudutt and all of you,

A recent "retrofit" operation in Studio 2019 only updated about half my document. Perhaps I should adjust the accuracy setting to a "slacker" level. Even so, these vagaries are vexatiuos. I haven't yet taken the time to explore the issue in the SDL resources, a laborious but necessary prerequisite, since SDL wants us to pay for support.

Good luck in tracking down the causes.

With kind regards,

Adam Warren (transl
... See more
Hullo Gurudutt and all of you,

A recent "retrofit" operation in Studio 2019 only updated about half my document. Perhaps I should adjust the accuracy setting to a "slacker" level. Even so, these vagaries are vexatiuos. I haven't yet taken the time to explore the issue in the SDL resources, a laborious but necessary prerequisite, since SDL wants us to pay for support.

Good luck in tracking down the causes.

With kind regards,

Adam Warren (translator 41189)
Collapse

Gurudutt Kamath

Gurudutt Kamath
India
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nov 1, 2018

Both bilingual review and retrofit seem to be giving problems. We need to try them on smaller files. Thanks for your good wishes.

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
English to German
Same Nov 2, 2018

This feature has never worked for me. If you find out how to make it work, I'm all ears.

Gurudutt Kamath
India
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks and Summary Nov 2, 2018

Hi all,
Thanks for your inputs.

SDL Trados 2019...my favourite tool....sort of failed me. But actually based on Paul Filkin's excellent blog (er, he provided the link in his answer on the SDL Community forum) I realized it was I who goofed up. I had made changes to the SDLXLIFF file. Obviously, this is not done!

There are too many (naturally) conditions for Bilingual Review and Retrofit to work. So if some condition is not met, it will not work. But believe me I i
... See more
Hi all,
Thanks for your inputs.

SDL Trados 2019...my favourite tool....sort of failed me. But actually based on Paul Filkin's excellent blog (er, he provided the link in his answer on the SDL Community forum) I realized it was I who goofed up. I had made changes to the SDLXLIFF file. Obviously, this is not done!

There are too many (naturally) conditions for Bilingual Review and Retrofit to work. So if some condition is not met, it will not work. But believe me I implicitly trust SDL Trados 2019. Suggest trying it out on a smaller file.

What I did to resolve the issue was to take the contents of the review file into Excel. (Converting rows into columns is a bit tricky.) Then create two Word documents....French and English....and then align them. Finally, use the new TM and create a new SDLXLIFF file!

A tip while creating the Bilingual Review file would be to choose the side by side option. This will put the Source and the Target languages next to each other. In which case, you can simply select each column and create two Word files for alignment. (If you choose Top-Down..where Source is above and Target is below...and it creates two rows for each segment. Then you will have to round-trip through Excel to extract the "two columns" that you want. [Suggested this -- in case you encounter a problem as I did!]

Just like I highly recommend Proz...I would also recommend Studio 2017 and Studio 2019. Teething trouble will always be there!

Thanks again and have a great weekend ahead folks.

I love Proz and also the very helpful members of Proz!

Guru
Collapse

Ricki Farn

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
A very unreliable feature Nov 2, 2018

Gurudutt Kamath wrote:
I exported a Bilingual Review File in Word. ... Not sure what I can do to get it working.

This feature is notoriously unreliable. Here are some tips that might get it working:
https://multifarious.filkin.com/2014/07/26/efer-ad/

Also, is there a way in which I can manipulate the Bilingual Review File say in Excel or Word and use it to get my job done?

You can try, but always work on a copy, and then copy the target column back into the original export file, but the feature is very particular and if it thinks that you changed the file format too much, it will fail to import the file.

Gurudutt Kamath
Ricki Farn

Gurudutt Kamath
India
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nov 2, 2018

Thanks. I did read the blog and discovered how I had goofed up.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Importing Bilingual Review File

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »