Thread poster: Paulette Romero
Paulette Romero
Paulette Romero  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 22:07
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 24, 2018

Hi, everyone. I work for a small translation agency and one of our clients sent us a very large project with a WC of 100k+ words. We normally work with Memoq but this client wanted us to work with Trados. We had to split this project up among 10 different translators.

My main question is how do we set up a TM so that all the translators are sharing one TM in real time? The client did not send us a TM themselves and asked us to set one up. Is it possible for us to somehow host t
... See more
Hi, everyone. I work for a small translation agency and one of our clients sent us a very large project with a WC of 100k+ words. We normally work with Memoq but this client wanted us to work with Trados. We had to split this project up among 10 different translators.

My main question is how do we set up a TM so that all the translators are sharing one TM in real time? The client did not send us a TM themselves and asked us to set one up. Is it possible for us to somehow host the TM locally one of our machines so that everyone is working off the same TM? Is there another option available??? Also, with so many translators I'm pretty sure everyone is using their own version of Studio and I don't know which versions are being used.

Sorry for this seemingly silly question but since we normally work with Memoq my knowledge of Trados is very limited. Thanks!

[Edited at 2018-10-24 18:42 GMT]
Collapse

Andrey Korobeinikov
Andrey Korobeinikov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 11:07
English to Russian
+ ...
Use Dropbox or any other File Sharing Resource Oct 25, 2018

Hello,

AFAIK, it is not possible to share the same TM on a local machine unless you're using a server-based SDL Studio. However, there is a workaround.

You can use Dropbox for the purpose.
1) Create temporary TMs for every translator in the team. Put all the TMs in a shared folder on Dropbox.
2) Have every translator set up their project so that a particular translator only updated his/her particular TM while looking at other TM at the same time (all the TM
... See more
Hello,

AFAIK, it is not possible to share the same TM on a local machine unless you're using a server-based SDL Studio. However, there is a workaround.

You can use Dropbox for the purpose.
1) Create temporary TMs for every translator in the team. Put all the TMs in a shared folder on Dropbox.
2) Have every translator set up their project so that a particular translator only updated his/her particular TM while looking at other TM at the same time (all the TMs have to be loaded to the SDL project). This a mandatory condition for the project to run smoothly. Otherwise you risk ending up with lots of conflicting copies in the Dropbox.

AFAIK, it is good for Studio versions starting from 2014.

This is a simplified procedure, you can have a look at my experience at http://www.sibtranslations.com/en/team-translation-in-dropbox/ for more details. It is mainly based on Paul Filkin's recommendations (https://multifarious.filkin.com/2014/12/08/with-a-little-help/) but I tried it and it worked well for me. Other options may be to exchange TMX files once a day or use Memsource or SmarCat instead.

Make sure before sharing the project that every next occurence of a repetition is locked. Otherwise you may get too many translation of the same segment.

Hope this helps and good luck with your project
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sharing TM in real time among many different translators

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »