How to create a term base in Trados Studio 2014?
Thread poster: Kate Deimling
Kate Deimling
Kate Deimling
United States
Local time: 17:57
French to English
+ ...
Oct 10, 2018

Hello,

I'm sure this will seem a remarkably basic question to most people on this forum, but here goes:

I use Trados 2014 and have never created a term base. I am working on a project for a repeat client and have a hand-written list of glossary entries that I'd like to use to create a term base in case I continue to have more projects on this topic. I cannot find a way to create a term base in Trados and I'm wondering if I need to purchase SDL MultiTerm to do so? Yet I'
... See more
Hello,

I'm sure this will seem a remarkably basic question to most people on this forum, but here goes:

I use Trados 2014 and have never created a term base. I am working on a project for a repeat client and have a hand-written list of glossary entries that I'd like to use to create a term base in case I continue to have more projects on this topic. I cannot find a way to create a term base in Trados and I'm wondering if I need to purchase SDL MultiTerm to do so? Yet I'm pretty sure that in the past clients sent me projects linked to both a TM and a term base (terms would come up as translation options for certain words, perhaps by using control + comma - I don't exactly remember the process).

So my question is:
- Do I have to buy MultiTerm?
- If so, how much does it cost?
- Is it easy to use? Obviously I've managed all this time without creating term bases, so I'm not sure I need a "terminology management system" but just want to be able to integrate some glossaries into my use of Trados. The simplest possible way to do so would be my preference.

Thanks for your help!

Best,
Kate
Collapse

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 00:57
French to English
+ ...
MultiTerm is included with Trados. Just download and install it. Oct 10, 2018

Kate Deimling wrote:

So my question is:
- Do I have to buy MultiTerm?
- If so, how much does it cost?
- Is it easy to use? Obviously I've managed all this time without creating term bases, so I'm not sure I need a "terminology management system" but just want to be able to integrate some glossaries into my use of Trados. The simplest possible way to do so would be my preference.

I find it astounding that people work without real-time glossaries.

Yes, you need a glossary management system. Once you start using it, you won't be able to do without it.
MT is not particularly user-friendly, but it's important that you learn it. It will automatically suggest the relevant terms as they occur in your text.

HTH,
Sandra

Kate Deimling
Kate Deimling
United States
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Don't know how to download and install MultiTerm Oct 10, 2018

Thanks, Sandra!

Maybe this is a question for Paul or SDL support staff - how do I download SDL Multiterm? It does not seem to be in Trados already ready for download (or if it is, I can't find it). If I go to the Multiterm website, the latest version is Multiterm 2019 but I have Trados 2014. Do I need to get the newest version of Trados first?

-Kate

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:57
English to Spanish
+ ...
Downloads Oct 10, 2018

Log in to SDL.com, click on your name that appears at the top, and then click on Downloads. You should find a list of software for which you have a license. It should show Trados, MultiTerm desktop installer (click the Download button beside that), and MultiTerm widget. Unless you use Enterprise, you don't need the widget. I never downloaded that widget, yet I have a little green widget that shows on the bottom of my screen (with the other program icons) that I can use to look up specific term... See more
Log in to SDL.com, click on your name that appears at the top, and then click on Downloads. You should find a list of software for which you have a license. It should show Trados, MultiTerm desktop installer (click the Download button beside that), and MultiTerm widget. Unless you use Enterprise, you don't need the widget. I never downloaded that widget, yet I have a little green widget that shows on the bottom of my screen (with the other program icons) that I can use to look up specific terms.

Also click on the tab that says Licenses, so you can see your activation codes. You will need to copy that and paste it at the appropriate time during installation of MultiTerm.
Collapse

Kate Deimling
Kate Deimling
United States
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Success! Oct 10, 2018

Thank you, Molly Rose, for these clear instructions! I've downloaded MultiTerm and will get to work building my term bases as soon as I can squeeze it in.

All best,
Kate

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:57
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hooray! Oct 10, 2018

I'm glad to know you got it!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to create a term base in Trados Studio 2014?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »