SDL Trados Studio 2011: How can I change the Source Language and Target Language in TM?
Thread poster: Rain Na Bun
Rain Na Bun
Rain Na Bun
Thailand
Local time: 12:41
English to Thai
Feb 11, 2013

How can I change the Source Language and Target Language in TM?

I cannot use the TM for translation because of the name of Source Language and Target Language does not match with my language pair.
I would like to change the name of Source Language and Target Language in TM.
The source and target language are English (United Kingdom) to Catalan (Catalan)
It should be English (United States) to Thai (Thai)

How can I do that?

Thank you
... See more

I cannot use the TM for translation because of the name of Source Language and Target Language does not match with my language pair.
I would like to change the name of Source Language and Target Language in TM.
The source and target language are English (United Kingdom) to Catalan (Catalan)
It should be English (United States) to Thai (Thai)

How can I do that?

Thank you very much.

[Edited at 2013-02-11 11:39 GMT]
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:41
Finnish to French
TMX Feb 11, 2013

Rain Na Bun wrote:

I believe you need to export to TMX, use a suitable text editor (find/replace) to change the language codes and import back into Studio.

Katarzyna Slowikova

Rain Na Bun
Rain Na Bun
Thailand
English to Thai
TOPIC STARTER
How can I do the following process? Feb 11, 2013

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Rain Na Bun wrote:

I believe you need to export to TMX, use a suitable text editor (find/replace) to change the language codes and import back into Studio.

Thank you Dominique.
It's already in TMX format.
How can I do the following process?
...use a suitable text editor (find/replace) to change the language codes and import back into Studio.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:41
Finnish to French
Text editors Feb 11, 2013

Rain Na Bun wrote:
It's already in TMX format.
How can I do the following process?
...use a suitable text editor (find/replace) to change the language codes and import back into Studio.

There's a (very) basic text editor included in Windows: Notepad. If your TMX is not too big, it may work for you. If not, you will have to get a more capable text editor. There are loads of them, both free and commercial. Google "free text editor for Windows" or ask for recommendations. I personally use a commercial editor called UltraEdit, but there are lots of good free ones that would be perfectly sufficient for your needs (find/replace).

Katarzyna Slowikova

Rain Na Bun
Rain Na Bun
Thailand
English to Thai
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Feb 12, 2013

Thank you very much.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:41
English
Using non recognised languages Mar 4, 2013

Hi,

I thought it might be useful to let you know about a new application posted on the open exchange last week that will allow you to add any translation memory you like as a reference TM. You can only update TMs that match your Project languages exactly, but with this application you can add them for reference. So creating project templates that contain a TM cascade of all the flavours you use regularly might be a good option in future.

You can find the application h
... See more
Hi,

I thought it might be useful to let you know about a new application posted on the open exchange last week that will allow you to add any translation memory you like as a reference TM. You can only update TMs that match your Project languages exactly, but with this application you can add them for reference. So creating project templates that contain a TM cascade of all the flavours you use regularly might be a good option in future.

You can find the application here : http://goo.gl/OibDU

You can find an article on this application and it's use in project templates here : http://goo.gl/q4bDM

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Lianne van de Ven
Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:41
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Olifant Aug 20, 2013

Opening the tmx in (free and freestanding) Olifant software (http://okapi-olifant.software.informer.com/) allows you to reverse languages of a TM.

The help files:
http://okapi.sourceforge.net/Release/Olifant/Help/howtos.htm

Lanna Rustage
Lanna Rustage  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
Just export, import into a correct-language tradosmemory, and back Mar 27, 2014

I just had this problem and the editing advice didn't work, so I exported from Studio 2011 to TMX, created an empty memory in Trados workbench with the necessary language pair, imported from the TMX into the Trados memory - no checks made!!!.

I then exported from Trados to TMX - which now had the right language pair - and created a new memory in Studio for the language pair and imported that latest TMX file - really fast even on a large memory and worked fine.

Katarzyna Slowikova
Katarzyna Slowikova  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Czech
+ ...
Editing works, likely for all tmx supporting CATs! Feb 22, 2019

Lanna Rustage wrote:

I just had this problem and the editing advice didn't work, so I exported from Studio 2011 to TMX, created an empty memory in Trados workbench with the necessary language pair, imported from the TMX into the Trados memory - no checks made!!!.

I then exported from Trados to TMX - which now had the right language pair - and created a new memory in Studio for the language pair and imported that latest TMX file - really fast even on a large memory and worked fine.

I have done basically the 1st step (thinking this will be it, and frankly, I don't understand why you'd do basically the same twice) and it didn't work - En-GB tmx wouldn't be imported to an empty En-US memory. So I don't see how this could work.

But anyway, for those who still have Trados 2011 in 2019 (I do and am very happy with it!): the trick with editing works and is super easy and fast (thank you, Dominique!), no fancy applications needed.

Be sure to do the editing in the tmx file, not in the Trados format. You just replace all occurrences of the language acronym with the language you want (in my case EN-GB with EN-US, as a source language) and voila, you have a memory in that language pair.

I see no reason why this wouldn't work also with newer versions of Trados Studios, actually all CATs that support tmx format. Wish there was such an easy solution to every problem with those grumpy CATs!

[Edited at 2019-02-22 15:41 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio 2011: How can I change the Source Language and Target Language in TM?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »