Annemarie. B
Annemarie. B  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 03:16
English to Swedish
+ ...
Feb 21, 2011

Dear all,

I reached out for help here yesterday since I couldn't create (or save) a return package. Finally I sent the agency a zipped SDLXLIFF file, but apparently they cannot open that one. They want it in excel format or any format they could open. I am not a Trados expert and I cannot solve this by my own.

Tonight I try to "save target as" and get the following error message:

Failed to save target content. The target document cannot be created because
... See more
Dear all,

I reached out for help here yesterday since I couldn't create (or save) a return package. Finally I sent the agency a zipped SDLXLIFF file, but apparently they cannot open that one. They want it in excel format or any format they could open. I am not a Trados expert and I cannot solve this by my own.

Tonight I try to "save target as" and get the following error message:

Failed to save target content. The target document cannot be created because a mismatch with the source document has been detected.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Kind regards,

Annemarie

[Redigerad 2011-02-21 21:31 GMT]

[Redigerad 2011-02-21 21:31 GMT]
Collapse

Veronica Coquard
Veronica Coquard
France
French to English
+ ...
I am no expert, but will try ot help Feb 21, 2011

I hear your pain, Annemarie!

Here is what I can offer, in the hopes that someone much more qualified will come to your rescue, as my own experience with packages is limited to an online course that I followed to learn how to use Trados Studio on an intermediary level. Anyway, here is the gist of my notes concerning the target file in a package:

You cannot simply save the target text, but you must export it. Go to the Project menu and select > Batch tasks > Export files.
... See more
I hear your pain, Annemarie!

Here is what I can offer, in the hopes that someone much more qualified will come to your rescue, as my own experience with packages is limited to an online course that I followed to learn how to use Trados Studio on an intermediary level. Anyway, here is the gist of my notes concerning the target file in a package:

You cannot simply save the target text, but you must export it. Go to the Project menu and select > Batch tasks > Export files... to do this.

I also noted that you must be wary of where your package is being saved; be default, it will go into My documents > SDL Trados Studio > Projects. Could it be that your project is there, but you were looking elsewhere?

Please forgive me if these suggestions are of no help whatsoever. I wish you all the best!

[Edited at 2011-02-21 17:10 GMT]
Collapse

Annemarie. B
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
no luck Feb 21, 2011

Dear Versanglais,

Thank you for your answer!

I tried to export files instead, but there are 2 error messages, the same as before telling me about this mismatch. So it is not possible to save at all, because I can't click the next button.

I appreciate your help although I haven't managed to solve it.

Kind regards,

Annemarie

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
What was the original file? Feb 21, 2011

Hello Annemarie,

I think my first question is did you have a Project Package from your client? If not then you do not need to send a return package. It would be enough to send the sdlxliff (if they could use it), the target file (if you could get it out), or maybe even the Translation Memory as a TMX.

From the sound of it I think you started with Excel and want to send the Excel target file back. Perhaps you can try pressing F8 when your translation is open and this
... See more
Hello Annemarie,

I think my first question is did you have a Project Package from your client? If not then you do not need to send a return package. It would be enough to send the sdlxliff (if they could use it), the target file (if you could get it out), or maybe even the Translation Memory as a TMX.

From the sound of it I think you started with Excel and want to send the Excel target file back. Perhaps you can try pressing F8 when your translation is open and this will run a QA check on your document identifying missing tags where the source does not match the target. If you find there are a lot of messages when you do this then correcting the problems in the translation may make it possible to save the target file.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Annemarie. B
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It was a package Feb 21, 2011

Hi Paul,

Yes, I did receive a package (ending with sdlppx).

Can you tell me which status the file should have when I create the return package? Mine is "in review".

Kind regards,

Annemarie

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Why not create a return package then? Feb 21, 2011

And then the agency would need to create the target, not you.
Go to Project, chose Create Return package and follow the steps in the wizard.

Annemarie. B
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I could not create the return package//now it is OK. Feb 21, 2011

Dear Jerzy,

The initial problem was that I could not save the return package. I have now managed to do it though. I almost don't know what I did to solve it, but I do know that I had marked some segments as translated, although they were not supposed to be translated. Words like "sheet" for example. I changed that, and changed the status to untranslated.

The other thing, which I find more embarrasing, is that I think I maybe forgot to name the return package. I thought
... See more
Dear Jerzy,

The initial problem was that I could not save the return package. I have now managed to do it though. I almost don't know what I did to solve it, but I do know that I had marked some segments as translated, although they were not supposed to be translated. Words like "sheet" for example. I changed that, and changed the status to untranslated.

The other thing, which I find more embarrasing, is that I think I maybe forgot to name the return package. I thought the name would be created automatically and I just browsed to choose a place to save it.

Thank you for answering.

Kind regards,

Annemarie
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
If you select the path... Feb 21, 2011

the name of the package will be created automatically.
You need to go into the folder packages/out and pick the sdlrpx from there.
Or when creating the return package use the function for sending it via e-mail.

Tom Fennell
Tom Fennell
United States
Local time: 20:16
Russian to English
+ ...
I solved this issue Jun 24, 2011

I solved the dreaded "The target document cannot be created because a mismatch with the source document has been detected" error.

I actually first received the equally, if not more dreaded "Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection."

Proceeding systematically, I went back and renamed the source file and loaded it into Studio. I was careful to "analyze files only" not prepare them, so that there would be no corruption from pr
... See more
I solved the dreaded "The target document cannot be created because a mismatch with the source document has been detected" error.

I actually first received the equally, if not more dreaded "Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection."

Proceeding systematically, I went back and renamed the source file and loaded it into Studio. I was careful to "analyze files only" not prepare them, so that there would be no corruption from pre-translation.

Then I tried to save the empty source file as target and got the "The target document cannot be created because a mismatch with the source document has been detected" error.

At this point I was stuck.

However there was a solution.

1. Create new .sdltm in Studio.
2. Import .sdlxliff file into this tm.
3. Export .sdltm file into .tmx file
4. Create project .tmw file in Trados 7.
5. Import .tmx file into .tmw file
6. Translate .xls file in Workbench.
7. Open .ttx file in Tag Editor
8. rename .xls file to .xls backup
9. Save .ttx file as target

10. In my case Tag Editor gave helpful error messages, and I had to go through and find all the Russian worksheet names that I had translated into English and restore the source for those 5-6 segments.

11. In my case Save Target worked, then I went in and translated the worksheet names in Excel.

It would be nice if the error messages in Studio were as helpful as those in Tag Editor!
Collapse

Katarzyna Slowikova
Katarzyna Slowikova  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Czech
+ ...
If anybody else still uses Studio 2011... Apr 1, 2019

Tom Fennell wrote:

1. Create new .sdltm in Studio.
2. Import .sdlxliff file into this tm.
3. Export .sdltm file into .tmx file
4. Create project .tmw file in Trados 7.
5. Import .tmx file into .tmw file
6. Translate .xls file in Workbench.
7. Open .ttx file in Tag Editor
8. rename .xls file to .xls backup
9. Save .ttx file as target

10. In my case Tag Editor gave helpful error messages, and I had to go through and find all the Russian worksheet names that I had translated into English and restore the source for those 5-6 segments.

11. In my case Save Target worked, then I went in and translated the worksheet names in Excel.

... you don't have to freak out at this 11-steps exorcism!

I solved this issue by just creating a new project with the source file newly saved from the client's email (I didn't get a package), with the same TM as the faulty project. The resulting sdlxliff had some segments empty - all of those that I merged, which is normal but also one that had seemingly no reason to be left empty.
I went one by one, merging and accepting the TM match and exporting after each operation... no error. Then I filled the non-merged segment with the 99% TM match (interestingly there were 2 identical instances in the TM (???!)), exported.... and no error!!!
So I have no idea what caused this error message (at export to an excel file, in my case) but I suspect that the there may be different reasons behind it. Tom rightly notes that Trados error messages were not helpful in his case and I don't remember them being helpful ever!

To sum it up, you have to experiment and the easiest first step is imho creating a new project with the old TM. If you have source file, you can do it, even if you were originally working with the package.
Good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Save target as = error /this issue is solved

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »