Trados changing fonts
Thread poster: Clifford Marcus
Clifford Marcus
Clifford Marcus
Local time: 07:22
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dec 5, 2009

I've put up with this for years and never done anything about it, but I notice that often Trados changes the fonts of the text I am working with.
Is there something that can be done about this?
TIA

Cedomir Pusica
Cedomir Pusica  Identity Verified
Serbia
Local time: 08:22
Member (2009)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Same here Dec 5, 2009

I'd love to know myself! I thought it might be something about incompatibility (Vista + Trados 7), but would appreciate any comments.

Clifford Marcus
Clifford Marcus
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
FWIW I'm on XP Dec 5, 2009

I don't think it's a Vista thing, I'm on XP...

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Local time: 11:52
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
You may give it a try. Dec 5, 2009

I am also facing this problem while working in a Word file. The font in the source and target text becomes bold, italics or even superscribed. Someone suggested me that I should copy the matter from the Word file and then paste it into the Wordpad or Notepad and then copy the text from Wordpad or Notepad and then paste it into a new Word file.

It worked for me for a few files but recently I had to translate a Word file with a lot of tables and when I followed the above mentioned p
... See more
I am also facing this problem while working in a Word file. The font in the source and target text becomes bold, italics or even superscribed. Someone suggested me that I should copy the matter from the Word file and then paste it into the Wordpad or Notepad and then copy the text from Wordpad or Notepad and then paste it into a new Word file.

It worked for me for a few files but recently I had to translate a Word file with a lot of tables and when I followed the above mentioned procedure, the entire formatting of the document was disturbed. So I had no option but to translate the original file and correct the formatting errors manually.

You may try the above procedure if your file does not have a complicated formatting.

Regards,

Chopra
Collapse

Estefanía González
Estefanía González  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
Tag Editor Dec 5, 2009

I guess that you have Workbench and you have not upgraded to Studio 2009.

I think everyone has experienced the formatting problem you are mentioning and the easy and straight workaround to this is to work directly in the Tag Editor environment.

I hope it helps!

Best regards,

Estefanía

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Search the Proz Trados archive Dec 5, 2009

Clifford Marcus wrote:

I've put up with this for years and never done anything about it, but I notice that often Trados changes the fonts of the text I am working with.
Is there something that can be done about this?
TIA

Hi Clifford,

The first thing you could do is search the Trados forum archive for "font changes" or something like that. This is an old problem that occurs because the Word document styles were changed manually instead of using templates. Here's an explanation from Trados mavens Jerzy Czopik and Ralph Lemster dating from 2002:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/7046-why_is_trados_changing_fonts.html#43855

In a nutshell, your options are:

1) strip out the styles and translate (may not be an option if formatting has to remain as is)
2) reformat the document using appropriate styles (could be time-consuming)
3) translate in TagEditor or Studio
4) encourage your clients to learn how to use Word

FWIW

Giles

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Please search this forum for "font changes" Dec 5, 2009

and you will find numerous topics and tipps about that.
After "How to edit a PDF file" this is the second most posted topic here on ProZ.

It is not Trados aloe, what is causing the font changes. The main guilty person is the autor of the document, using formatting in a bad way.
To avoid formatting changes you might try to correct the formatting in Word, which is quite a lot of work, or go for Tageditor, which works
... See more
After "How to edit a PDF file" this is the second most posted topic here on ProZ.

It is not Trados aloe, what is causing the font changes. The main guilty person is the autor of the document, using formatting in a bad way.
To avoid formatting changes you might try to correct the formatting in Word, which is quite a lot of work, or go for Tageditor, which works perfectly well and does not change any formatting (almost). An upgrade to Trados Studio would be even better, as you get an up-to-date program with much better filters. Studio is not changing and Word formatting, at least as far I could test that.
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 09:22
English to Turkish
+ ...
This is a Trados problem Dec 5, 2009

This subject has been discussed several times, and users of other CAT tools (e.g. Deja Vu X and MemoQ) state that they do not have such problems!

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Not directly a Trados problem Dec 5, 2009

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

This subject has been discussed several times, and users of other CAT tools (e.g. Deja Vu X and MemoQ) state that they do not have such problems!

Of course, and as a Trados user I also state I do not have any formatting problems in Word. But I use SDL Trados 2009 and do not work in Word!
You simply forget to add, that other tools do not work in Word either.
As soon you start working in Word, changes will occur. Since I do not know when I keep telling everyone to leave Word and start working with state-of-the-art tools. When working with Tageditor, no fonts are changed. When working with Studio nearly no formatting changes occur. TBH, within the time I work with Studio I did not have to correct more than duplicated column breaks in my target file. That was really all. And this is done within seconds. Using docx even this does not occur. This is a known bug and will be certainly settled soon.

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 09:22
English to Turkish
+ ...
Same problem in Studio 2009? Dec 5, 2009

Hi Jerzy,

I remember it was reported here at Proz.com SDL Trados support forum, I have searched the archive but it is not easy to find. There are so many posts related to Trados problems.

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
Since I do not know when I keep telling everyone to leave Word and start working with state-of-the-art tools.

<
... See more
Hi Jerzy,

I remember it was reported here at Proz.com SDL Trados support forum, I have searched the archive but it is not easy to find. There are so many posts related to Trados problems.

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
Since I do not know when I keep telling everyone to leave Word and start working with state-of-the-art tools.

SDL was really too late to abandon Word environment. Many translators have been using other standalone CAT tools for years.

----------------------------------
http://www.proz.com/post/1257172#1257172

[Edited at 2009-12-05 14:47 GMT]
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
False assumptions and tradition... Dec 5, 2009

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

The fact the formatting is bad is often true but the problem is indeed the way Trados deals with Word.
I rarely work with Wordfast (classic) or Metatexis but it seems these Word based tools have less problems with the formatting than the leader of the market.
Because they don't rely blindly on the styles and on the antiquated code page assumptions.

To avoid formatting changes you might try to correct the formatting in Word, which is quite a lot of work,

Normally, I pretranslate with Workbench, then I import the bilingual text in DVX, the bilingual file exported from DVX is correct.
So, it's possible to create well looking bilingual Word files even if the entry data are a crap.
Of course, when the file is really messy (e.g. OCR), I make some additional preprocessing steps.

or go for Tageditor, which works perfectly well and does not change any formatting (almost). An upgrade to Trados Studio would be even better
quote]
Of course, you're right.
But you can't produce bilingual Word files with these tools...

PS.
I don't like to translate in Word but some customers still need bilingual Word files.
The long time lack of innovation in Trados persuaded 'em it's the best way to handle 'em.
The Trados guys are simply trapped in their own trap.

Cheers
GG

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Studio does not change font Dec 5, 2009

The linked thread just leads to a post with no later answer to my question about it.
As long tags are correctly placed, no font changes (and other formatting changes) occure.
If you understand something about font and font substitutions and about the difference between screen formatting and the real formatting, you will know what I speak about.

For me Word is already history. I will not deliver any billingual Word files anymore unless the customer will hold a gun against
... See more
The linked thread just leads to a post with no later answer to my question about it.
As long tags are correctly placed, no font changes (and other formatting changes) occure.
If you understand something about font and font substitutions and about the difference between screen formatting and the real formatting, you will know what I speak about.

For me Word is already history. I will not deliver any billingual Word files anymore unless the customer will hold a gun against me. And fortunately for me most of my customers do accept billingual files not in Word format.
BTW, what I say about styles in Word applies to Word 2003 in Windows XP. Word 2003 in Windows Vista is not workable with Trados for me anymore. So in this case it is indeed a Trados problem, I must admit. This is my reason to abandon Word alltogether in the future.
Collapse

Tom Tyson
Tom Tyson  Identity Verified
German to English
Studio changing font Dec 6, 2009

in random segments fonts have changed from calibri to Times New Roman and vice versa in another file. This started two days ago. Can't see why. I could only change it by copying source direct into taget and then editing that. Jerzy, help ...?!

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Display tags Dec 6, 2009

Hi Tom,
you might want to display all tags to avoid deleting some of them unintentionally.

Tom Tyson
Tom Tyson  Identity Verified
German to English
Tags Dec 6, 2009

Hi Stanislav. I don't think I've been deleting tags because I've been able to "save target as" which I think doesn't work if you delete a tag accidentally. What I get is an apparently random decision to produce eg Times New Roman in a segment in the middle of a text which is in a different font. The next segment will be back to normal. I daren't go near the tags, by the way!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados changing fonts

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »