Eppo Schaap
Eppo Schaap  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:43
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Feb 4, 2009

Is there a way to prevent Trados from translating (segmenting) certain parts of text in Word (doc, not docx) tables? I always thought this could be done by making the text purple (blue = 255 and red = 255) and this worked in the past in several situations. With my current project however purple text is segmented too after translating in Workbench (SDL Trados 2007).

BTW: Can't find anything in the manual while searching for purple or magenta.

Adam Warren
Adam Warren  Identity Verified
France
Member (2005)
French to English
You need to use the 'don't translate' style Feb 5, 2009

It's a bit roundabout, but here goes:

I have located a Word sample file accessed by clicking the 'Samples' shortcut reached via the following directory chain on my machine:
"C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\SDL International\SDL Trados 2007 Freelance\Trados\Samples"

That sample file has the 'don't translate' style.

I have the 'Do_Not_Translate' style saved in my Word Normal.dot file. To simplify, let us assume that it is in that 'N
... See more
It's a bit roundabout, but here goes:

I have located a Word sample file accessed by clicking the 'Samples' shortcut reached via the following directory chain on my machine:
"C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\SDL International\SDL Trados 2007 Freelance\Trados\Samples"

That sample file has the 'don't translate' style.

I have the 'Do_Not_Translate' style saved in my Word Normal.dot file. To simplify, let us assume that it is in that 'Normal' template file.

I. Copy the 'don't translate' style into your work file:

1. With your work document displayed in Word, go to Tools> Templates & Add-ons.
  2. Click on Organizer.
  3. If normal.dot is not displayed, click on "Open file" below the empty window.
  4. Similarly, if your work file is not displayed, Browse for it to find and display it in the other window. Usually, it should be, though.
  5. Find and select the 'don't translate' style in the Normal.dot file.
  6. Click "Copy" to copy that style into the work file window, opposite the Normal file window, as arrowed.

II. Select the portions of your work file that you need to shield from segmentation.

• With the portion or portions selected, find the style in the Style menu box located in the relevant Word toolbar.
  • Alternatively, you can Click on Format > style and select the 'don't translate' style from the menu that displays in a right-hand window.

I emphasise that the menu wordings I am using here are approximate: I'm working from memory, and I use a French version of Word XP, which I'm simultaneously translating - a bit dizzying!

You can't miss the style when it's displayed in WYSIWYG: It's got huge Arial 12 point characters that look bedaubed with red lead oxide:-)

III. An alternative, which you have stumbled on, is to make your own style, record it in Word and register it as a 'don't translate' style in Trados - I haven't the workbench in front of me, but you can poke around the menus at the top of the Trados window. You may need to read the Trados documentation about "internal" and "external" styles, and perhaps print out the page with them on to refer to while you set up your "no admittance" style.

If I'm teaching an eagle how to fly, then my heartfelt apologies. But I hope this may help.

With kind regards,

Adam (IanDhu).

[Edited at 2009-02-05 23:52 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-02-05 23:54 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-02-06 00:01 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-02-06 00:04 GMT]
Collapse

Eppo Schaap
Eppo Schaap  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm going to try this Feb 5, 2009

Dear Adam,

Thank you for your extensive clarification. I'm going to try this as soon as my rush jobs are over! It has helped me several steps further.

Adam Warren
Adam Warren  Identity Verified
France
Member (2005)
French to English
You've made my day, Eppo! Feb 6, 2009

Eppo Schaap wrote:

Dear Adam,

Thank you for your extensive clarification. I'm going to try this as soon as my rush jobs are over! It has helped me several steps further.

I'm very glad. For all I know, my instructions may have slips, but they show you broadly where to look and what to look for. And I'm glad you've got rush jobs in these troubled times.

With kind regards,

Adam.

Milan Hudecek
Milan Hudecek
English to Slovak
+ ...
Anything similar in Studio? Jan 30, 2019

Hi, guys, while this has worked fine with Trados Workbench, it does not with Studio (up to version 2019). Is there anything like this or do I just have to use Lock Segment?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

preventing Trados from segmenting (translating) text

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »