Displaying white spaces in Passolo
Thread poster: Britta Kavanagh
Britta Kavanagh
Britta Kavanagh
Local time: 09:36
English to German
Jul 9, 2010

I'm using Passolo Translator 2009 and am looking for a way to display the white spaces in my translation. Is there any such feature?
Thanks a lot,
Britta

Achim Herrmann
Achim Herrmann
Local time: 10:36
English to German
Please describe the problem Jul 11, 2010

Hello Britta,

I don't think that "this is a text" will be displayed like "thisisatext". So it would be helpful if you can try to describe the problem more exactly.

Achim

Britta Kavanagh
Britta Kavanagh
Local time: 09:36
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Clarification Jul 12, 2010

Hi Achim,

you're right, that's not what I meant.
I'm looking for a way to display the white spaces as symbols (like a little red dot or something like that).
Hopefully this is clearer now.

Thanks,
Britta

Achim Herrmann
Achim Herrmann
English to German
Not a feature Jul 12, 2010

Hello Britta,

this is currently not a feature in SDL Passolo. To get things moving please visit ideas.sdltrados.com and add this as product wish for the next release.

Achim

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
A modded font Jul 12, 2010

Achim Herrmann wrote:

this is currently not a feature in SDL Passolo. To get things moving please visit ideas.sdltrados.com and add this as product wish for the next release.

I suppose a workaround is possible.
You should check a modded font, e.g. a font created by DVX or MQ users (e.g. Calibri by Denis Hay) and force it as a default font for your language.
It should work but :
- the display may be a little bit incorrect
- you should restore the default font assignments in the output files but it should be simple (a simple search'n'replace should do).

PS.
I never tested it... normally I see double spaces

Cheers
GG

Achim Herrmann
Achim Herrmann
English to German
It works Jul 13, 2010

Hello Grzegorz,

Thank you for this useful hint. I just tested it and it works. If you don't use the font within dialogs, there is no need to change it back.

There are only a few changes and from my point og view the white space dot is very small, even if you have enlarged the edit field to 150%.

On the other hand I would like to see more special characters visualized in this mode like → for the TAB character and ↵ for new line characters.

T
... See more
Hello Grzegorz,

Thank you for this useful hint. I just tested it and it works. If you don't use the font within dialogs, there is no need to change it back.

There are only a few changes and from my point og view the white space dot is very small, even if you have enlarged the edit field to 150%.

On the other hand I would like to see more special characters visualized in this mode like → for the TAB character and ↵ for new line characters.

The feature is on your internal wish list but adding it to the SDL ideas side will increase it's priority.

Achim
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Myron Netchypor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Displaying white spaces in Passolo

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »