Shahed Zaman
Shahed Zaman
United States
Local time: 20:23
English to Bengali
+ ...
Nov 7, 2019

I got this email a few days ago:

"A ProZ.com user visited your ProZ.com profile and sent the following message.

Author: Adetunji Dayo
[NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.]
Author's IP address: 64.145.93.52

-----------

Hello, I'm contacting you in regard to an English content
document worth 11,638 words (44 Pages). I need this document
translated into KudoZ.
... See more
I got this email a few days ago:

"A ProZ.com user visited your ProZ.com profile and sent the following message.

Author: Adetunji Dayo
[NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.]
Author's IP address: 64.145.93.52

-----------

Hello, I'm contacting you in regard to an English content
document worth 11,638 words (44 Pages). I need this document
translated into KudoZ. I would like to know if you are
interested and available to get this done for me. Please get
back to me as soon as you can via
email([email protected]). Thank you.

Best regard,

Adetunji."

I replied that I am available for the job. He sent me a document and asked for my rate. When I gave that to him, he said that he would need my address to send out the payment in check. He would also like to hire me for the next part of the project and would pay for the total work which would amount to roughly 3 times the amount I quoted. I guess this raised the first red flag. I still gave him my address but did not expect anything. However, the check arrived the next day via FedEx overnight shipping with a letter inside the envelope asking me to confirm receipt to a phone number via text. When I confirmed, he told me to deposit the check to my account and send him a photo of the deposit slip for record purposes. At this point, I started looking through the scam-related forum posts on proz, and found several other posts with similar scam strategies. However none of them mentioned a request to send the deposit slip to the employer, so I am guessing this might be another new addition to the plethora of scamming plots and informing the fellow translators about this. Hope this helps. Stay alert!
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
Priceless! Nov 7, 2019

I need this document
translated into KudoZ. [/quote]

Did you reply to THIS?

Michele Fauble
Liviu-Lee Roth
Yolanda Broad
Slobodan Kozarčić

Shahed Zaman
Shahed Zaman
United States
English to Bengali
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So stupid of me, right?! Nov 7, 2019

Yeah, I noticed that later. Should be more careful from now on.

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 02:23
Danish to English
+ ...
Report it Nov 7, 2019

Well now that you have the cheque, you could hand it over to the police. Sometimes they can match evidence from different people and cases and in a few cases they do manage to arrest the super criminals behind such scams.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Yolanda Broad
Vadim Kadyrov

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 21:23
Romanian to English
+ ...
I won't repeat what I wrote so many times Nov 8, 2019

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Well now that you have the cheque, you could hand it over to the police. Sometimes they can match evidence from different people and cases and in a few cases they do manage to arrest the super criminals behind such scams.

It is about an international, very lucrative industry where texts and addresses of potential victims are posted, sold and bought on the dark net.
Police won't do anything. I have a collection of three such overpaid checks, collected while "playing" with the scammers.

Best action, do not interact with them and keep yourself informed about the latest trend in scamming.

Stay safe,
Lee

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 02:23
Danish to English
+ ...
Do you have inside connections with the police? Nov 8, 2019

How exactly do you know that police won't do anything? They surely don't inform you about their investigations.

They are unlikely to investigate a single case, but if they begin to see a pattern from many reported cases, they may well begin to investigate it. Occasionally they do manage to find and arrest scammers. We don't know if the proceeds from such crimes are used to fund more serious crime.

I just don't have such a defeatist attitude. Doing a little thing such as
... See more
How exactly do you know that police won't do anything? They surely don't inform you about their investigations.

They are unlikely to investigate a single case, but if they begin to see a pattern from many reported cases, they may well begin to investigate it. Occasionally they do manage to find and arrest scammers. We don't know if the proceeds from such crimes are used to fund more serious crime.

I just don't have such a defeatist attitude. Doing a little thing such as reporting crime, even when you know your particular case will probably go nowhere in itself, may sometimes end up helping others in the long term.
Collapse

Jessica Noyes

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
Without going into arguments Nov 8, 2019

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

I just don't have such a defeatist attitude. Doing a little thing such as reporting crime, even when you know your particular case will probably go nowhere in itself, may sometimes end up helping others in the long term.

I did not say that you should not report it. Everybody should, but don't have high expectation to have your complaint solved.
I don't have a defeatist attitude, just inside knowledge. I worked for 14 years as a prosecutor in my country and here I work on a daily basis with federal law enforcement as a translator and federal court interpreter.

Lee

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
just to pove my point Nov 12, 2019

Today I received this message and I replied:

-----Original Message-----
To: liviulee6
Sent: Tue, Nov 12, 2019 10:56 am
Subject: Service needed
Hello, I got your contact from an on-line directory and I'm contacting you in regard to an English content document with 11,643 words (44 Pages). I need this document translated to Romanian. I would like to know if you are interested and available to get this done for me. Please get back t
... See more
Today I received this message and I replied:

-----Original Message-----
To: liviulee6
Sent: Tue, Nov 12, 2019 10:56 am
Subject: Service needed
Hello, I got your contact from an on-line directory and I'm contacting you in regard to an English content document with 11,643 words (44 Pages). I need this document translated to Romanian. I would like to know if you are interested and available to get this done for me. Please get back to me as soon as you can.
Thank you.
Best regards

On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 5:24 PM wrote:

Thank you for the BS.

Lee

Brenda Fletcher [email protected]
To liviulee6 [email protected]

Hello
I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project.However, I will require your service to translate the attached English document. In the mean time, could you also confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation? The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from 12/12/2019.
Finally, what would be your preferred mode of payment? Though I'm proposing a certified bank draft, a cashier check or bank certified check. Please do not hesitate to confirm if this is okay with you? I look forward to reading from you soon.
Best Regards

This exchange is proof that the recepient "Brenda Fletcher" did not understand my message. From my experience, the sender might be located in Eastern Europe, Asia or Africa and doesn't speak English. His boss (the head-scammer) tasked him to send e-mails in bulk and reply with a givent text (bought online).

What can the police do? So far, nothing.

Stay safe,
Lee
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scam Alert - Check Deposit Slip

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »