Thread poster: Miriela Santos
Miriela Santos
Miriela Santos
United States
Local time: 17:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 16, 2019

Hi. I almost fall as a victim of scam with a translation of a project about conflict management. Some days after that, another attempt, this one with some master thesis about animal science, from University of Aarhus, this one even sent me a check for a high amount of money, telling they made a mistake, for me to send the difference to them. They even send the check via FedEx. The two projects were highly interesting and had very much sense.

Kristof Haavik

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 20:28
Romanian to English
+ ...
did you ever reply to such e-mails? Aug 16, 2019

If you ever replied to such scam e-mails, your e-mail address ended up on the forum for cyber criminals on the dark web. Expect to receive many more.

Stay safe,
Lee

Thayenga
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Kristof Haavik
Kristof Haavik  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:28
Member (2010)
English to French
+ ...
Conflict management project Aug 16, 2019

The conflict management scam is the one I'm facing. Too bad, because it's actually kind of interesting. Since their game is fake checks for too much rather than not paying (or pretending to pay) at all, I'll know what to do when I get the check, since apparently that part is real--just not valid. But if it was sent by Fedex, doesn't that give law enforcement wherever it was sent from an opening to track down the sender?

Miriela Santos
Miriela Santos
United States
Local time: 17:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Check through FedEx Aug 16, 2019

I don't really know about tracking the sender through FedEx, but I think I would have to dedicate much time to do so, and I've lost enough time already translating for nothing.

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 19:28
English to Russian
+ ...
Oh Lordy... Aug 16, 2019

Kristof Haavik wrote:

doesn't that give law enforcement wherever it was sent from an opening to track down the sender?

And the sender showed up with his real ID, a permanent residence address (incidentally, no one at FedEx asks for any IDs before accepting an envelope), and a couple of wedding pictures. Sure, FBI, Interpol, KGB and both Nigerian tanks will be on location round the clock to ambush the perpetrator.

Kristof, please, for your own sake, give it a rest. It may be hard to pick up a few detached pieces of self-esteem after having been duped, and we sympathize with you, but it's time to get it - learn the lesson and let go. Haven't you read all the advises given in dozens of posts already?

https://www.proz.com/forum/scams/336674-concern_about_a_possible_scam_ive_gotten_involved_in-page2.html

You can send the fake check to FBI as a potential proof of mail fraud but I doubt they have enough storage space left for those checks.

Liviu-Lee Roth
Davide Leone

Paweł Hamerski
Paweł Hamerski
Poland
Local time: 02:28
English to Polish
+ ...
Important thing is that they paid for Fedex Aug 16, 2019

It is nice they have some costs.

Yolanda Broad
Davide Leone
Liviu-Lee Roth

Davide Leone
Davide Leone  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:28
Member (2015)
English to Italian
+ ...
Let it go Aug 16, 2019

Kristof Haavik wrote:

The conflict management scam is the one I'm facing. Too bad, because it's actually kind of interesting. Since their game is fake checks for too much rather than not paying (or pretending to pay) at all, I'll know what to do when I get the check, since apparently that part is real--just not valid. But if it was sent by Fedex, doesn't that give law enforcement wherever it was sent from an opening to track down the sender?

Kristof, you really have to let it go. Put it to rest and move on.
When I received the fake check through FedEx, I checked the sender's address on Google map, and it came up as a state park somewhere in Virginia.
A professional scammer won't use any real name or real address, but hide from you in the meanders of cyberspace. You are basically chasing ghosts here.

[Edited at 2019-08-17 10:49 GMT]

IrinaN
Liviu-Lee Roth

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Two scam attempts in a few days

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »