https://www.proz.com/forum/scams/335332-english_german_religious_translator_urgently.html&phpv_redirected=1

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
ENGLISH-GERMAN RELIGIOUS TRANSLATOR!!!! URGENTLY!
Thread poster: Wolfram Weinberg, PhD
Wolfram Weinberg, PhD
Wolfram Weinberg, PhD
United States
Local time: 14:09
Member (2018)
English to German
+ ...
Jun 8, 2019

is this a scam? - is this how one's ProZ ID gets stolen for to be "impersonated" ?
VERY URGENTLY REQUIRED THE TRANSLATOR OF BOOKS TO A RELIGIOUS BOOK! FROM ENGLISH TO GERMAN!RECEIVING APPLICATIONS TO MONDAY!
hello!
If you are interested in cooperation with our company, I am ready to answer any question.Your candidacy seemed appropriate. Can I send you a questionnaire to fill in? After filling, let's talk in more detail about cooperation. Ready to fill in today?
please s
... See more
is this a scam? - is this how one's ProZ ID gets stolen for to be "impersonated" ?
VERY URGENTLY REQUIRED THE TRANSLATOR OF BOOKS TO A RELIGIOUS BOOK! FROM ENGLISH TO GERMAN!RECEIVING APPLICATIONS TO MONDAY!
hello!
If you are interested in cooperation with our company, I am ready to answer any question.Your candidacy seemed appropriate. Can I send you a questionnaire to fill in? After filling, let's talk in more detail about cooperation. Ready to fill in today?
please send m its file in exel format.
https://www.proz.com/translation-jobs/1582378

[Edited at 2019-06-08 12:04 GMT]
Collapse

Akhila Phadnis

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:09
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Most probably Jun 8, 2019

If it is the agency in question, based in the Ukraine, then it's definitely a scam.

They have been posting job requests, promising high pay (literature translations don't pay as well as they promise) and lots of work. I am not sure how many jobs like this they've posted, definitely more than a dozen, while religious content is fairly new.

After they've agreed to your rate, they want an edible copy of your diploma. Who knows what for.

Please check out one of
... See more
If it is the agency in question, based in the Ukraine, then it's definitely a scam.

They have been posting job requests, promising high pay (literature translations don't pay as well as they promise) and lots of work. I am not sure how many jobs like this they've posted, definitely more than a dozen, while religious content is fairly new.

After they've agreed to your rate, they want an edible copy of your diploma. Who knows what for.

Please check out one of the 2 forum threads on this subject. https://www.proz.com/topic/335024

If it is the same agency, stay clear for your own safety.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Signs are... Jun 8, 2019

Wolfram Weinberg wrote:
Is this a scam? Is this how one's ProZ.com ID gets stolen to be "impersonated"?

Well, I can't see the job's details, so I don't know if the job poster's e-mail address is the same as the translation agency's. Anyway, if you're worried about that, why not write to the agency directly, at the agency's known e-mail address?

As for the agency itself, they have a LinkedIn page (with 19 "employees" linked) and a Facebook page (created 4 years ago), and their web site looks like something that someone had spent a lot of effort on -- more than I would expect of a scammer. Their web site's domain was registered in 2015 and is registered in the country where the agency claims to be from.

Wolfram Weinberg, PhD
Wolfram Weinberg, PhD
United States
Member (2018)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
more than I would expect of a scammer ? Jun 8, 2019

really? Do scammers do (only) what you expect?? how do you assess their capacity and (long-term) strategy? - good luck with that, - for all of us

Samuel Murray wrote:

Wolfram Weinberg wrote:
Is this a scam? Is this how one's ProZ.com ID gets stolen to be "impersonated"?

Well, I can't see the job's details, so I don't know if the job poster's e-mail address is the same as the translation agency's. Anyway, if you're worried about that, why not write to the agency directly, at the agency's known e-mail address?

As for the agency itself, they have a LinkedIn page (with 19 "employees" linked) and a Facebook page (created 4 years ago), and their web site looks like something that someone had spent a lot of effort on -- more than I would expect of a scammer. Their web site's domain was registered in 2015 and is registered in the country where the agency claims to be from.

[Edited at 2019-06-08 12:59 GMT]

Wolfram Weinberg, PhD
Wolfram Weinberg, PhD
United States
Member (2018)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
why does Proz not block what is definitely a scam? Jun 8, 2019

in case you wonder: an edible copy of your diploma is used to impersonate you

Thayenga wrote:

Please check out one of the 2 forum threads on this subject. https://www.proz.com/topic/335024

If it is the same agency, stay clear for your own safety.

[Edited at 2019-06-08 12:57 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-06-08 12:58 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-06-08 12:59 GMT]

Thayenga
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Ban them Jun 8, 2019

I really don't know why they don't block them. A while back I submitted a support request, but never received an answer. Usually I've received a reply to my support requests within a couple of days.

Therefore, I can only assume that Admin has investigated that agency and found nothing wrong with it.

And yes, I know the fraud that can be done with an edible copy of a diploma. That's why I've posted the first thread here. And this is all I can do, alert our colleagues no
... See more
I really don't know why they don't block them. A while back I submitted a support request, but never received an answer. Usually I've received a reply to my support requests within a couple of days.

Therefore, I can only assume that Admin has investigated that agency and found nothing wrong with it.

And yes, I know the fraud that can be done with an edible copy of a diploma. That's why I've posted the first thread here. And this is all I can do, alert our colleagues not to fall for that trick.

[Edited at 2019-06-08 13:03 GMT]
Collapse

Wolfram Weinberg, PhD
Wolfram Weinberg, PhD
United States
Member (2018)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
did you ever receive an answer to a support request for an investigation of a suspicious activity? Jun 8, 2019

did you ever receive an answer to a support request for an investigation of a suspicious activity?
"Admin" not giving an answer to me does not suggest that "Admin has investigated that agency and found nothing wrong with it"; it suggests to me that "Admin" does not care.

Thayenga wrote:

And yes, I know the fraud that can be done with an edible copy of a diploma. That's why I've posted the first thread here. And this is all I can do, alert our colleagues not to fall for that trick.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Jun 8, 2019

Wolfram Weinberg wrote:

really? Do scammers do (only) what you expect?? how do you assess their capacity and (long-term) strategy? - good luck with that, - for all of us

Scammers do work to a certain protocol. One thing they usually do is leave deliberate grammar or spelling mistakes in their texts. This way, literate, educated people soon coton on to the fact that it's a scam and they don't read any further. Only uneducated, and therefore more gullible people will read on and click through.

Wolfram Weinberg, PhD
Wolfram Weinberg, PhD
United States
Member (2018)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
does this Proz.com BlueBoard member fit the scammer's certain protocol? Jun 8, 2019

apparently the (deliberate?) grammar mistakes, the capitalizing and the !! are acceptable to the literate, educated people of who oversees ProZ Quality Assurance and Security.

Wolfram Weinberg wrote:

Scammers do work to a certain protocol. One thing they usually do is leave deliberate grammar or spelling mistakes in their texts. This way, literate, educated people soon coton on to the fact that it's a scam and they don't read any further. Only uneducated, and therefore more gullible people will read on and click through. [/quote]

[Edited at 2019-06-08 14:50 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-06-08 14:51 GMT]

Thayenga
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
No Jun 8, 2019

Wolfram Weinberg wrote:

did you ever receive an answer to a support request for an investigation of a suspicious activity?
"Admin" not giving an answer to me does not suggest that "Admin has investigated that agency and found nothing wrong with it"; it suggests to me that "Admin" does not care.

[/quote]

As stated below, I never did receive any reaction at all to my support request. Very unusual indeed.

Well, it doesn't really suggest it (my bad), but it insinuates that this might have been the outcome of it because there was no reply or any (to my knowledge) reaction to it.

Paweł Hamerski (X)
Paweł Hamerski (X)
English to Polish
+ ...
edible is nice in a cookbook rather. Jun 8, 2019

By the way these requests for religious translators are mostly underpaid and serving to spread zealous beliefs (I am quite polite here).
N.B. My above mail is waiting 2 days already for approval

[Zmieniono 2019-06-10 10:38 GMT]

[Zmieniono 2019-06-10 10:39 GMT]

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:09
Japanese to English
+ ...
Religious translator Jun 9, 2019

Let's hope they choke on that "edible" diploma.

Colleen Roach, PhD
Thayenga

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
"URGENT!!!!!" translation of a religious book????? Jun 9, 2019

Such heightened level of urgency sounds absolutely ridiculous in relation to the subject. Is another Megachurch pastor about to hop on a private Learjet to convert yet another group of misguided locals, lost in some uncharted land, before they'll be swept away by a coming major hurricane and lose a chance for paradise? Anything is possible, but can such tribe be found in the German-speaking locales?

I wouldn't care ab
... See more
Such heightened level of urgency sounds absolutely ridiculous in relation to the subject. Is another Megachurch pastor about to hop on a private Learjet to convert yet another group of misguided locals, lost in some uncharted land, before they'll be swept away by a coming major hurricane and lose a chance for paradise? Anything is possible, but can such tribe be found in the German-speaking locales?

I wouldn't care about any protocols after taking a first glance at this nonsense.
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Kristina Cosumano (X)
Robert Forstag

Thayenga
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Ukraine Jun 9, 2019

IrinaN wrote:

...but can such tribe be found in the German-speaking locales?

Wilsonn Perez Reyes
Wilsonn Perez Reyes  Identity Verified
El Salvador
Local time: 13:09
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Received today Jun 10, 2019

A ProZ.com user visited your ProZ.com profile and sent the following message.

Author: yao julianah
Author's Profile: http://www.proz.com/profile/2739812
Author's IP address: 41.202.81.119
Message type: Collaboration

-----------

It is my pleasure to know you more better. i will like us to
share our pasts, exchange our pictures
and s
... See more
A ProZ.com user visited your ProZ.com profile and sent the following message.

Author: yao julianah
Author's Profile: http://www.proz.com/profile/2739812
Author's IP address: 41.202.81.119
Message type: Collaboration

-----------

It is my pleasure to know you more better. i will like us to
share our pasts, exchange our pictures
and see what we can do together for tomorrow. anyway am
still single and ready for long term
relationship, also will like to know female friends too
worldwide you can reach me via my mail
address [email protected] yaojulia400atyahoodotcom
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ENGLISH-GERMAN RELIGIOUS TRANSLATOR!!!! URGENTLY!

Translation news

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »