Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:00
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
May 28, 2019

A while back I have reported that an agency in the Ukraine was happy to work with me, having agreed to all my terms and rates until I refused to send them a clean copy of my translation certificate/diploma. The last email from that PM was, "send in file". Then all communication stopped instantly.

Instead they kept posting job offers, trying to attract colleagues in all language pairs. And the regular high income they promise is quite unusual because the translation of literature se
... See more
A while back I have reported that an agency in the Ukraine was happy to work with me, having agreed to all my terms and rates until I refused to send them a clean copy of my translation certificate/diploma. The last email from that PM was, "send in file". Then all communication stopped instantly.

Instead they kept posting job offers, trying to attract colleagues in all language pairs. And the regular high income they promise is quite unusual because the translation of literature seldom pay "exorbitant" rates.

Today I see that the same agency has posted a "new selection of translators". Again they offer a high income, even a bonus program. My question is, what needs to be done to earn that bonus? Deliver an easily edible copy of your certificate? Of course it must not contain any blackened portion.

Please be prepared that all conversation ceases the moment you hesitate to send in an edible copy of your diploma and/or your passport. Please be safe and do your research.
Collapse

Robert Forstag

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
This site should not allow fraudulent use of the Jobs Board May 28, 2019

It is one thing to allow posters to make offers that most professional translators find insultingly low. It is another to allow outright fraud to continue to be perpetrated.

The outfit in question has posted no less than 35 times on the Jobs Board since February 8th, promising lucrative offers to translate books from and into a wide range of languages that include Old High German and Phoenician [!].

Surely, with the promise of such attractive conditions, it would have l
... See more
It is one thing to allow posters to make offers that most professional translators find insultingly low. It is another to allow outright fraud to continue to be perpetrated.

The outfit in question has posted no less than 35 times on the Jobs Board since February 8th, promising lucrative offers to translate books from and into a wide range of languages that include Old High German and Phoenician [!].

Surely, with the promise of such attractive conditions, it would have long since secured all of the qualified translators it needed to meet its supposed contractual obligations for an endeavor that, if legitimate, would rank as one of the most massive translation projects of this century.

The content and frequency of these postings give ample cause to suspect fraud, and therefore it is incumbent upon the site to directly contact the soliciting agency in order to determine whether such suspicions are warranted.

[Edited at 2019-05-28 20:34 GMT]
Collapse

Thayenga
Michele Fauble

Thayenga
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Action should be taken / Update May 28, 2019

Thank you, Robert, for confirming not only my suspicion, but also my experience with said agency.

I had informed them of my cautioning previous post here, but it seems like they don't care.

Not wishing to violate any forum rules, I didn't post her and the agency's name here. But since they are so amazingly persistent, I will contact the forum moderator. Hopefully they will stop that agency from luring our colleagues into "the deal of their lives".

I have ju
... See more
Thank you, Robert, for confirming not only my suspicion, but also my experience with said agency.

I had informed them of my cautioning previous post here, but it seems like they don't care.

Not wishing to violate any forum rules, I didn't post her and the agency's name here. But since they are so amazingly persistent, I will contact the forum moderator. Hopefully they will stop that agency from luring our colleagues into "the deal of their lives".

I have just submitted a support request regarding this agency, also naming the PM. Hopefully Admin will ban them from this site.

[Edited at 2019-05-28 17:45 GMT]
Collapse

Robert Forstag
Yolanda Broad

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
New posting today Jun 4, 2019

There is a new posting today for "a potential job" involving translation in 12 different language combinations.

I guess that this means the site has investigated the outfit in question, and found it to be entirely legitimate.

(I also notice that more than 200 people have quoted for the potential project. A lot of hunger out there....)

Thayenga
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
New postings cheaper by the dozen Jun 4, 2019

Robert Forstag wrote:

I guess that this means the site has investigated the outfit in question, and found it to be entirely legitimate.

Then so be it. It's too bad that our colleagues will have to find out the hard way. And I haven't received an answer to my support request. Maybe that's why.

Robert Forstag wrote:
(I also notice that more than 200 people have quoted for the potential project. A lot of hunger out there....)

Every time that company had posted a job, usually potential, there were a couple of hundreds of quotes. Seriously, by this time that agency should have several thousands of translators at their disposal, but still they're hungry for more. Amazing/unbelievable indeed.

LIZ LI
LIZ LI  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 00:00
French to Chinese
+ ...
OMG Jun 4, 2019

I submitted a quote... right before accidentally clicked into this...

Just want to express my gratitude to Thayenga for your kindly reminder even if it still remains a suspicion.

Thayenga
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You might be lucky Jun 5, 2019

LIZ LI wrote:

I submitted a quote... right before accidentally clicked into this...

Just want to express my gratitude to Thayenga for your kindly reminder even if it still remains a suspicion.

You're very welcome, Liz.

Maybe they're not interested in diplomas from China.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

More fishing for diplomas?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »