https://www.proz.com/forum/scams/324202-scam_translation_of_a_11643_word_document_various_email_addresses_payment_with_a_check-page5.html&phpv_redirected=1

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >
SCAM: translation of a 11,643-word document (various email addresses, payment with a check)
Thread poster: Thomas Szabo, MD, MS
Valerie22
Valerie22
United States
Local time: 10:10
English to French
+ ...
Email from Cheryl Kutscher <[email protected]> Sep 12, 2019

I have also received the same email with the same request.
I thought there was something fishy because although I have been registered with ProZ for many years, I have actually never really done any translation.
The second thing which I thought was odd was the number of words to translate: the email says 11,834 words (55 Pages) while there are actually just over 10,000 words.
Finally, when I asked for the company's website, "Cheryl" never responded. Instead, she confirms that
... See more
I have also received the same email with the same request.
I thought there was something fishy because although I have been registered with ProZ for many years, I have actually never really done any translation.
The second thing which I thought was odd was the number of words to translate: the email says 11,834 words (55 Pages) while there are actually just over 10,000 words.
Finally, when I asked for the company's website, "Cheryl" never responded. Instead, she confirms that she will pay me upfront and wants to know my full name, my physical address and mobile number.
The final thing I thought was weird was the actual email address.
I also googled it and my search led me to this post. I am so thankful for finding it before providing my personal information. I would have given my PO Box address anyway.
Just be careful who you're dealing with. A non-registered ProZ company that is willing to pay you upfront, that's definitely fishy.
Collapse

Marina Sorace
Marina Sorace
United States
Local time: 07:10
English to Spanish
Has anyone gone to the police? Sep 13, 2019

I had a similar experience as the ones mentioned above where the communication was all via email. I demanded upfront payment and then received the famous “oh we have a larger project and have sent the check for said amount” (10 times what we agreed upon). 😳🙄
Picking up the scam right away, I responded this would not work for me as I had never agreed to take on such a large project and would never do so before reviewing the content. Regardless of my answer, the fedex envelope with
... See more
I had a similar experience as the ones mentioned above where the communication was all via email. I demanded upfront payment and then received the famous “oh we have a larger project and have sent the check for said amount” (10 times what we agreed upon). 😳🙄
Picking up the scam right away, I responded this would not work for me as I had never agreed to take on such a large project and would never do so before reviewing the content. Regardless of my answer, the fedex envelope with the “ check” arrived today.
I want to know if anyone in the US has gone to the police with this? And if so, what has your experience been like? This profession has already enough gamble and uncertainty related to work flow, delayed payments, etc and now we have to add insult to injury and weed out 2 scammers a week too? 😩😂 If formal complaints are made and investigations started by law enforcement maybe they’ll back of proZ translators for a while?

Thoughts?
Collapse

Mabel Carvalho
Mabel Carvalho  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:10
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Assunto: [Trabalhos no ProZ.com] High-quality English to Portuguese (European)urgent translation req Sep 13, 2019

I don't know if I can call "SCAM" what happened to me, but the thing is that in an ad similar to today's on ProZ's website, I answered, got hired, performed the translation of over 13,000 words and got no penny . The person who signs the ad did not pay me, dealt me the blow.
The work was urgent, I stopped doing other translations, I lost time and money. The person acted in bad faith with me. Because I do voluntary translations, I thought the service would be free. Pay 0.03 USD per word.I h
... See more
I don't know if I can call "SCAM" what happened to me, but the thing is that in an ad similar to today's on ProZ's website, I answered, got hired, performed the translation of over 13,000 words and got no penny . The person who signs the ad did not pay me, dealt me the blow.
The work was urgent, I stopped doing other translations, I lost time and money. The person acted in bad faith with me. Because I do voluntary translations, I thought the service would be free. Pay 0.03 USD per word.I hope other translators don't fall for the same scam.
Collapse

Mabel Carvalho
Mabel Carvalho  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:10
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Subject: [Working at ProZ.com] urgent high quality English to Portuguese (European) translation 08:4 Sep 13, 2019

Subject: [Working at ProZ.com] urgent high quality English to Portuguese (European) translation 08:46

I don't know if I can call "SCAM" what happened to me, but the fact is, in a similar ad to today's ProZ site, I answered, got hired, translated over 13,000 words and got no penny . The person who signs the ad did not pay me, dealt me the blow.
The work was urgent, I stopped doing other translations, wasted time and money. The person acted in bad faith with me.
As I do vo
... See more
Subject: [Working at ProZ.com] urgent high quality English to Portuguese (European) translation 08:46

I don't know if I can call "SCAM" what happened to me, but the fact is, in a similar ad to today's ProZ site, I answered, got hired, translated over 13,000 words and got no penny . The person who signs the ad did not pay me, dealt me the blow.
The work was urgent, I stopped doing other translations, wasted time and money. The person acted in bad faith with me.
As I do voluntary translations, she thought the service would be free. Combined to pay 0.03 USD per word. I hope other translators will not fall for the same blow.
Announced again today, as above
Collapse

Leah Ashe
Leah Ashe  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:10
Italian to English
+ ...
And another one, now from "Sydney John" Sep 28, 2019

"I'm contacting you in regard to an Spanish content document with 12,750 words words (44 Pages). I need this document translated to English. I would like to know if you are interested please get back to me asap thanks"

Koren Wheatley
Koren Wheatley  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
New scammer name to add Oct 3, 2019

I received the same mathematically-challenged and undercharged for translation (when I told him I only had time to proofread his file) 44-page (actually 73) paper to translate with an enormous check as payment from a "sponsor." Being highly suspicious, I actually called the name on the FedEx overnight envelope, and the man at that company told me that their account for FedEx had been hacked and that, instead of coming from their company in Georgia (USA), the fake was coming from North Carolina. ... See more
I received the same mathematically-challenged and undercharged for translation (when I told him I only had time to proofread his file) 44-page (actually 73) paper to translate with an enormous check as payment from a "sponsor." Being highly suspicious, I actually called the name on the FedEx overnight envelope, and the man at that company told me that their account for FedEx had been hacked and that, instead of coming from their company in Georgia (USA), the fake was coming from North Carolina.

The check was from an oil company in Kansas; the contact person via email: [email protected] (Arthur Williams); his phone number from New Jersey; the "sponsor" refund for a cancelled "phase too" (yes, he wrote that) to be completed later goes to an address in Maryland.

He kept asking me when the check was deposited, so I told him that it had been. Nope. That is when he postponed the second part of the project due to a death in the sponsor's family and demanded that monies be wired back to him because his sponsor "told him that the check had cleared his account". He said that I could keep an extra $100 for my troubles. I said that if he needed the money back so quickly, then he could get it from his "sponsor's bank account" as it "never left it for mine."

I then told him that he didn't know the difference between a translation and a proofreading and couldn't keep his story straight. He seemed shocked that he gave up that banking information and name, all the while thinking that I had deposited the check. I then told him that he had been turned in to the Federal Trade Commission, which I absolutely did. The last thing that I said to him was that wire fraud is a federal offense.

Radio silence.
Collapse

Carlos Manuel Lugo Valdez
Carlos Manuel Lugo Valdez  Identity Verified
Dominican Republic
English to Italian
+ ...
I was framed too Oct 4, 2019

I was framed by this Nancy bill too. Spread the news, because this thing, is not a human being, but a demon of hell. spread her name and her email: [email protected] in all records so no one else is caught in this person cheating scam.

Laurent Mercky
Laurent Mercky
France
Local time: 16:10
Chinese to French
+ ...
and.. Oct 4, 2019

I WILL NEVER trust this kind of job proposition.
Because such agencies/clients are NOT serious.
No one would drop 11,000 words job to an unknown translator far away without requesting more info from you.

I will NEVER accept any cheque.
NEVER.

*Bank wiring* is the king.

[Edited at 2019-10-04 17:57 GMT]

finnword1
finnword1
United States
English to Finnish
+ ...
Done already Oct 5, 2019

I suspect that this 11,643 word (44 page) document must have already been translated many times over, into all kinds of languages, since it has been around for years.

Hilda Herrera
Hilda Herrera  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
New name Debby Johnson scam Oct 5, 2019

Hello.

Be on the look out for Debby Johnson at [email protected]. It contains the same content as mentioned by others. 44 page, no sources, no company name, cashiers check payment.

Thank you having this thread.
Hilda

Lotte Radoor
Lotte Radoor
United States
Local time: 08:10
English to Danish
+ ...
Scam - Daniel Smith Oct 6, 2019

I received below email from "Daniel Smith" does not care about cost, does not provide 'official documents' with references, addresses etc. Also does not provide any contact address/name and only wants to pay by certified check! Watch out.

Author: Daniel Smith
[NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.]
Author's IP address: 172.98.67.24

-----------

Hello, I'm contacting you in regard to an
... See more
I received below email from "Daniel Smith" does not care about cost, does not provide 'official documents' with references, addresses etc. Also does not provide any contact address/name and only wants to pay by certified check! Watch out.

Author: Daniel Smith
[NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.]
Author's IP address: 172.98.67.24

-----------

Hello, I'm contacting you in regard to an English content
document worth 11,723 words (50 Pages). I need this
document
translated into Danish. I would like to know if you are
interested and available to get this done for me. Please
get
back to me as soon as you can via email
([email protected]). Thank you.
Collapse

Nazeli Gamityan
Nazeli Gamityan
United States
Local time: 09:10
English to Armenian
+ ...
Hi Koren, I had the similar situation and I reported it to my bank. Were you able to cash the check? Oct 8, 2019

Koren Wheatley wrote:

I received the same mathematically-challenged and undercharged for translation (when I told him I only had time to proofread his file) 44-page (actually 73) paper to translate with an enormous check as payment from a "sponsor." Being highly suspicious, I actually called the name on the FedEx overnight envelope, and the man at that company told me that their account for FedEx had been hacked and that, instead of coming from their company in Georgia (USA), the fake was coming from North Carolina.

The check was from an oil company in Kansas; the contact person via email: [email protected] (Arthur Williams); his phone number from New Jersey; the "sponsor" refund for a cancelled "phase too" (yes, he wrote that) to be completed later goes to an address in Maryland.

He kept asking me when the check was deposited, so I told him that it had been. Nope. That is when he postponed the second part of the project due to a death in the sponsor's family and demanded that monies be wired back to him because his sponsor "told him that the check had cleared his account". He said that I could keep an extra $100 for my troubles. I said that if he needed the money back so quickly, then he could get it from his "sponsor's bank account" as it "never left it for mine."

I then told him that he didn't know the difference between a translation and a proofreading and couldn't keep his story straight. He seemed shocked that he gave up that banking information and name, all the while thinking that I had deposited the check. I then told him that he had been turned in to the Federal Trade Commission, which I absolutely did. The last thing that I said to him was that wire fraud is a federal offense.

Radio silence.

PAUL RIEK
PAUL RIEK  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2019)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Almost fell for it Oct 8, 2019

I was contacted from [email protected] back in August with a similar pitch, and today I received a "Cashier's Check" for $5,400.56 (more than twice the agreed amount) via Priority Mail Express from Payroll Service Inc of Brooklyn, New York, drawn on Canvass Credit Union of Englewood, Colorado. I received a text from 609-300-3279 alerting me to the delivery. They were willing to invest in overnight mail. Wow! I was going to... See more
I was contacted from [email protected] back in August with a similar pitch, and today I received a "Cashier's Check" for $5,400.56 (more than twice the agreed amount) via Priority Mail Express from Payroll Service Inc of Brooklyn, New York, drawn on Canvass Credit Union of Englewood, Colorado. I received a text from 609-300-3279 alerting me to the delivery. They were willing to invest in overnight mail. Wow! I was going to take the check to the bank to ask how to know it's legit, but I checked here first. Thanks for ProZ!Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
As a kindness Oct 9, 2019

You might want to notify Payroll Service Inc of Brooklyn, New York and Canvass Credit Union of Englewood, Colorado that someone is damaging their reputations through fraud. In the larger scheme of things, it might not make a difference, but the parties involved might even try to take action.

PAUL RIEK wrote:

I was contacted from [email protected] back in August with a similar pitch, and today I received a "Cashier's Check" for $5,400.56 (more than twice the agreed amount) via Priority Mail Express from Payroll Service Inc of Brooklyn, New York, drawn on Canvass Credit Union of Englewood, Colorado. I received a text from 609-300-3279 alerting me to the delivery. They were willing to invest in overnight mail. Wow! I was going to take the check to the bank to ask how to know it's legit, but I checked here first. Thanks for ProZ!

Steve Wang
Steve Wang
United States
English to Chinese
Same email from Cheryl Kutscher Oct 9, 2019

Luckily I check,
Cheryl Kutscher via ProZ.com
Author: Cheryl Kutscher
Author's IP address: 173.244.36.2

-----------

document worth 11,543 words (46 Pages). I need this document
translated into Chinese, I would like to know if you are
interested and available to get this
... See more
Luckily I check,
Cheryl Kutscher via ProZ.com
Author: Cheryl Kutscher
Author's IP address: 173.244.36.2

-----------

document worth 11,543 words (46 Pages). I need this document
translated into Chinese, I would like to know if you are
interested and available to get this done for me. Please get
back to me as soon as you can via
email([email protected]). Thank you.

Best regard,
Cheryl
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SCAM: translation of a 11,643-word document (various email addresses, payment with a check)

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »