Sweden
Local time: 20:34
Member (2006)
Swedish to English
TOPIC STARTER
A few clarifications Jan 9, 2012

Katalin Horvath McClure wrote:

Thayenga wrote:
The subject of the project is indeed highly suspicius. Try to contact this customer again and mention that you have completed the project (not a good idea without varification of the client and a PO). Then you can ask again for a detailed address. If there's no (satisfactory) response, go ahead and contact law enforcement.

The subject of the project itself is not suspicious. Here is what is stated in the initial posting:

The document to be translated is an RFP for procurement of a cyclotron, hot cells, a dosage monitoring system and a plug door for Sahlgrenska University Hospital in Gothenburg, Sweden.

RFP stands for Request For Proposal, part of the standard tender process in the EU, and in many other economies.
The subject of the RFP is equipment used for radiation therapy, nothing contradictory for a hospital.

Katalin

There's nothing secret or particularly suspicious about the project per se. The RFP is, of course, freely available on the Web.

My suspicion arises from the fact that the procurement does deal with nuclear material combined with the general dodginess (I do like that word; I should use it more often) of the way I was approached and the way everything else has been handled. The fact that my client gave his location as Amman, Jordan made me even more uneasy about it, when I had had a little time to reflect on it.

Please note that while Jordan may have a transparent nuclear program, I'm not thinking so much in terms of Jordan as a country as in terms of who may be active within its boundaries. Of course, in that case the person would not have been likely to share his correct location. (And indeed, he may not have.)

Here is the present situation:
- The translation is done. (And to reply to your earlier comment, Katalin, I was referring to the learning experience of knowing what to look for before accepting a translation job.)
- I have informed the client that the translation is done (unfortunately). In the same E-mail, I asked for an address.
- After getting an address of "Amman, Jordan," I replied asking for a complete address.
- I have now sent an additional E-mail making clear that I will send neither the completed translation nor an invoice until I receive complete company information, including a full street address.

Thanks for all your thoughts and help. They are greatly appreciated.
Tim

Trudy Peters
Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:34
German to English
+ ...
Keep us posted. Tim! Jan 9, 2012

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A little suspicious, not sure what to do

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »