Best way to backup?
Thread poster: Joanne Parker
Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:29
German to English
+ ...
Thanks Sylvie Apr 2, 2003

that sounds very practical. Alison, I also have a laptop that is up-to-date enough to function as a substitute desktop, so if anything goes, I can start up again immediately. Not very light, unfortunately!

Incidentally, speaking of redundant systems, another thing I have found useful is to have a dial-up connection set up on the laptop to back up my cable modem. The cable company reorganized a while back and was notoriously unreliable for a while. This way I have 2 e-mail ad
... See more
that sounds very practical. Alison, I also have a laptop that is up-to-date enough to function as a substitute desktop, so if anything goes, I can start up again immediately. Not very light, unfortunately!

Incidentally, speaking of redundant systems, another thing I have found useful is to have a dial-up connection set up on the laptop to back up my cable modem. The cable company reorganized a while back and was notoriously unreliable for a while. This way I have 2 e-mail addresses through 2 different connections, and both can be accessed through the Web.
Collapse

Joanne Parker
Joanne Parker  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:29
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 3, 2003

thanks everyone for all your tips. I\'m now the proud owner of a 256 MB memory key, which is doing the job just fine.

For those of you who didn\'t know what these are (and this included me at the start of the week), it\'s a portable drive the size of a keyring. You just plug it into a USB port and you have a new drive on your PC where you can backup all your files. If your PC ever fails, you can just take the memory key (aka stick/pen etc) out of the PC and plug it into a n
... See more
thanks everyone for all your tips. I\'m now the proud owner of a 256 MB memory key, which is doing the job just fine.

For those of you who didn\'t know what these are (and this included me at the start of the week), it\'s a portable drive the size of a keyring. You just plug it into a USB port and you have a new drive on your PC where you can backup all your files. If your PC ever fails, you can just take the memory key (aka stick/pen etc) out of the PC and plug it into a new one.

Thanks again from a very relieved

Joanne
Collapse

sylver
sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:29
English to French
Pen drives and else. Apr 4, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-04-02 07:53, smalich wrote:

How about just getting a pen drive and regularly putting your backups on that? They have from 16 MB to 1 GB of memory. More than that you don\'t need. Besides, you can get one these days from 49-69 euro and you don\'t have to install anything, just plug it in your USB port and transfer your data. Should there be a hard disk crash or virus attack, just take it to the next computer and plug ... See more
Quote:

On 2003-04-02 07:53, smalich wrote:

How about just getting a pen drive and regularly putting your backups on that? They have from 16 MB to 1 GB of memory. More than that you don\'t need. Besides, you can get one these days from 49-69 euro and you don\'t have to install anything, just plug it in your USB port and transfer your data. Should there be a hard disk crash or virus attack, just take it to the next computer and plug it in.

Pen drive is small, but a great tool. It\'s great with small amount of data, like a couple current working files, a TM, a glossary, basic stuff you need, but it does not replace the need for regular complete back up, including all email communications (one of the most valuable things you have, IMO)

Actually, backing up work files doesn\'t require any special program, just a CD burner or a zip drive installed. You know the files concerned, it\'s just a matter of saving and \"burning\" your work at regular intervals.

Actually, it\'s probably better to save past translations (original and translation) on 1 or 2 CDs, have a separate CD with your terminology (TM, glos,...) and an other CD for contacts, emails, general admin,...

As for the system files, well, usually, if the computer crash, it\'s way better to make a fully clean new install (assuming you got your programs on CD). ▲ Collapse

DGK T-I
DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:29
Georgian to English
+ ...
and CD-RW Apr 4, 2003

Adding to all the excellent methods already suggested, a CD-RW (re-writer) with \"click and move\" software coming with it, is convenient - files can be moved or copied to the rewritable CD just like another drive (with \"send to\" or by moving or copying in \"my computer\" or clicking on the icon)and updated, exported, or removed as necessary.

(Although not quite as small as a key ring

)

Gillian Scheibelein
Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:29
German to English
+ ...
compact flash cards Apr 22, 2003

Compact flash cards are another possibility, they are similar to a pen drive. However, they need a card reader - either a PMCIA or a USB reader, both fairly inexpensive. In Germany, many new computers are being delivered with card readers instead of the old 3 1/2\" disk drive (A. Cards, like pens, come in different capacities. I spotted an advertisement for an up-and-coming CF card with 4 GB capacity the other day. I use 2 cards with 128 MB and alt... See more
Compact flash cards are another possibility, they are similar to a pen drive. However, they need a card reader - either a PMCIA or a USB reader, both fairly inexpensive. In Germany, many new computers are being delivered with card readers instead of the old 3 1/2\" disk drive (A. Cards, like pens, come in different capacities. I spotted an advertisement for an up-and-coming CF card with 4 GB capacity the other day. I use 2 cards with 128 MB and alternate between the two. Daily back-ups go onto the card and every 10 days or so I back up everything onto a CD-RW (2 in alternation). Once every 3 months or so the whole lot goes onto a CD-R.

I find CF cards very useful for transferring data quickly between my desktop and my laptop instead of using the network connection. Another advantage of the CF card is that it can be used in my digital camera as well.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best way to backup?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »