Scam: My client died; please take his position!
Thread poster: Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 21:56
English to Greek
+ ...
Feb 26, 2008

Hello,

something has been going on lately at the Internet which has impressed me; at first I was furious, then I tried to ignore it, now I wish to share it with you.

It is two months now that I receive e-mails from "lawyers", "accountants" and I don't know who else, that say the following:

a client of mine died and left behind him millions. He doesn't have any descendants. Since his name resembles yours, please pretend that you are his relative and let's
... See more
Hello,

something has been going on lately at the Internet which has impressed me; at first I was furious, then I tried to ignore it, now I wish to share it with you.

It is two months now that I receive e-mails from "lawyers", "accountants" and I don't know who else, that say the following:

a client of mine died and left behind him millions. He doesn't have any descendants. Since his name resembles yours, please pretend that you are his relative and let's share the millions of the inheritance!!!

It is evident that this is phishing, but the excuse is beyond any imagination!

I just wished to share this with the rest of you. Do you receive such e-mails too?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-02-27 12:43]
Collapse

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 15:56
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Advance fee scam Feb 26, 2008

Eleni Makantani wrote:
Do you receive such e-mails too?

Yes, it is an old trick, once it was done using the normal mail, but it has boomed with e-mail.

By the way, this is fishy but technically is not phishing, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phishing
It is a Nigerian scam, or 419 scam, or Advance fee scam see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigerian_scam

bye
Gianfranco

[Edited at 2008-02-26 20:37]

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 21:56
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Yes, sure Feb 26, 2008

several a day, including notifications I have won millions in some lottery I have never participated in. I guess I'd be a billionaire by now wouldn't I have been too lazy to answer to all these...

Uldis

Eleni Makantani wrote:
I just wished to share this with the rest of you. Do you receive such e-mails too?

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 20:56
Italian to English
In memoriam
Yes Feb 26, 2008

Hi Eleni,

I've been on the wrong end of one or two phishing trips like this.

Actually, they're not even a particularly serious threat because, like you, I wouldn't even consider making a false declaration of identity in order to deceive the executors of an estate.

I do enjoy the names that these phishing routines generate, though. My favourite is a message I received from a wonderfully exotic lady called Lakeisha Manygoats.

Φιλικά,
... See more
Hi Eleni,

I've been on the wrong end of one or two phishing trips like this.

Actually, they're not even a particularly serious threat because, like you, I wouldn't even consider making a false declaration of identity in order to deceive the executors of an estate.

I do enjoy the names that these phishing routines generate, though. My favourite is a message I received from a wonderfully exotic lady called Lakeisha Manygoats.

Φιλικά,

Giles
Collapse

Tatiana Lammers
Tatiana Lammers  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
get them too Feb 26, 2008

I get those every month. Simply report them as scam and that's it.

yam2u
yam2u  Identity Verified
United States
English to Malay
+ ...
The yarns they spin Feb 26, 2008

... get wilder over the years.

They have come a long way from the initial HUGE inheritance from some African country that desperately needed to be "parked temporarily" in someone's account.

Yes Giles, the names are in themselves priceless.

Nothing as exotic as your example for me today. just a Rev. Father Jones Harth,
... See more
... get wilder over the years.

They have come a long way from the initial HUGE inheritance from some African country that desperately needed to be "parked temporarily" in someone's account.

Yes Giles, the names are in themselves priceless.

Nothing as exotic as your example for me today. just a Rev. Father Jones Harth, the CSO of The World Bank (no less), who is at his wit's end trying to figure out a way to dispose the sum of USD10 million.

Bet anything someone is compiling these expensive tales and publishing them as a book any day now.

-may-
Collapse

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Start Collecting Feb 27, 2008

I've collected over $56,000,000 so far, you should start collecting too!

(Just kidding, but isn't it worth it just for the entertainment value? I get several of those a week.)

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad
Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 20:56
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Filter Feb 27, 2008

Uldis Liepkalns wrote:

several a day, including notifications I have won millions in some lottery I have never participated in. I guess I'd be a billionaire by now wouldn't I have been too lazy to answer to all these...

Uldis

I do not receive too much spam since most of them are "killed" on the server. Regular mail passes through the filter of course.

Nikolaj Widenmann
Nikolaj Widenmann
United States
Local time: 12:56
Member (2007)
Danish to English
+ ...
My rich unknown relative died in an airline crash Feb 27, 2008

A few months ago, an attorney-at-law based in Malaysia sent me a couple of emails urging me to act now to cash in on some inheritance left by "Mike Widenmann", who perished in an airline crash in the Persian Gulf Region in 2001. It came complete with a CNN news link to the disaster (though the accident apparently did happen, CNN had no details on poor old Mike). And just to make it easier for me to read, the entire text was in bold type.

I considered cashing in, not to mention add
... See more
A few months ago, an attorney-at-law based in Malaysia sent me a couple of emails urging me to act now to cash in on some inheritance left by "Mike Widenmann", who perished in an airline crash in the Persian Gulf Region in 2001. It came complete with a CNN news link to the disaster (though the accident apparently did happen, CNN had no details on poor old Mike). And just to make it easier for me to read, the entire text was in bold type.

I considered cashing in, not to mention adding Mike to my very extensive family history file; somehow years of research spanning five centuries had allowed our millionaire relative to go unnoticed.

In the end, I decided that I would end up paying more taxes than I would ever want to. Good thing I didn't go for it; I would not have qualified for this year's US government check to help us stay out of a recession. Looking at it from that point of view, I may have just saved the United States, and possibly the whole world, from another Great Depression. And that has to be worth a lot more money than what old Mike ever carried to his grave in the Persian Gulf.

In the end, I blocked this person's emails from reaching me, and I have been living merrily ever since as a middle-class citizen.

Now I'm off for lunch.
Collapse

Barbara Cochran, MFA
Barbara Cochran, MFA  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:56
Spanish to English
+ ...
Got You Beat Henry! Feb 28, 2008

[quote]Henry Hinds wrote:

I've collected over $56,000,000 so far...

I've got you beat Henry! So far I've amassed about $973,006,543.00 based on such e-mails.

I get them everyday.

[Edited at 2008-02-28 01:32]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scam: My client died; please take his position!

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »