Thread poster: Sara Fiorelli
Sara Fiorelli
Sara Fiorelli
Italy
Local time: 11:31
English to Italian
+ ...
Feb 17, 2008

Hello, I don't know if this is the right section to write...
I've been contacted through proz.com by a user, telling me she had "seen in my profile and was interested in me" (???). The email was really generic, but by chance I posted some days ago a request for mentoring in the exchange section. So I answered asking if she had seen this post and why she was writing me, basically. I got a reply where she speaks of everything but translation: her life, hobbies...there are two attachments (wh
... See more
Hello, I don't know if this is the right section to write...
I've been contacted through proz.com by a user, telling me she had "seen in my profile and was interested in me" (???). The email was really generic, but by chance I posted some days ago a request for mentoring in the exchange section. So I answered asking if she had seen this post and why she was writing me, basically. I got a reply where she speaks of everything but translation: her life, hobbies...there are two attachments (which I did not open) and she told me they are photographs.
I have no intention to answer again because it's clear that's not to do with my request. But I was wondering if I should report this somewhere... I mean, I do not have anything against this person, but ProZ is not the right place for things like this. I just think other site members could be annoyed by being contacted without reason. Do you do anything in these cases?
Collapse

Florence Bremond
Florence Bremond  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
A kind of scam Feb 17, 2008

Thank you Sara for warning the community.
After some investigation, this email appears to have been sent to a number of users/members of ProZ.com, including one of our moderators who, too, marvelled at being so attractive
Even though it is not written in the usual form, it turns out to be some kind of "Nigerian scam" and this person is probably more interested in your wallet than in your person or your skills as a tran
... See more
After some investigation, this email appears to have been sent to a number of users/members of ProZ.com, including one of our moderators who, too, marvelled at being so attractive
Even though it is not written in the usual form, it turns out to be some kind of "Nigerian scam" and this person is probably more interested in your wallet than in your person or your skills as a translator, I'm sorry to say
The profile in question has now been removed.

Should you or anybody else receive this kind of email through the system, please forward it as soon as possible to a moderator (and one who is online, check the green icon - http://www.proz.com/?sp=mod/list ) so as we can block this immediately.

Florence "Oddie"
ProZ.com moderator

[Modifié le 2008-02-18 13:31]
Collapse

Sara Fiorelli
Sara Fiorelli
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ok Feb 18, 2008

Oddie wrote:

After some investigation, this email appears to have been sent to a number of users/members of ProZ.com, including one of our moderators who, too, marvelled about being so attractive
Even though it is not written in the usual form, it turns out to be some kind of "Nigerian scam" and this person is probably more interested in your wallet than in your person or your skills as a translator, I'm sorry to say
The profile in question has now been removed.

Should you or anybody else receive this kind of email through the system, please forward it as soon as possible to a moderator (and one who is online, check the green icon) so as we can block this immediately.

Florence "Oddie"
ProZ.com moderator

Thank you Florence.
In fact, I felt a bit flattered by that and unfortunately it happened when I had posted the request!
Thanks for your help.

Tatiana Lammers
Tatiana Lammers  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
the same again Feb 19, 2008

I have recieved the same e-mail today and this is very annoying.

Can you, please, investigate the matter and ban the user out of ProZ?

Here's the body of the e-mail:

fromhelen odiaka
[email protected],

dateFeb 19, 2008 3:28 AM
subjectHello,
mailed-bygmail.com

Hello,
it give me a great pleassure to write you after viewing your profi
... See more
I have recieved the same e-mail today and this is very annoying.

Here's the body of the e-mail:

fromhelen odiaka
[email protected],

dateFeb 19, 2008 3:28 AM
subjectHello,
mailed-bygmail.com

Hello,
it give me a great pleassure to write you after viewing your profile which really interest me to have communication with you if you will have the desire with me so that we can get to know each other and see what happened in future.
i will be very happy if you can write me through my email for easiest communication.
my email is [email protected]
i will be waiting to hear from you.
have a blessed day.
from helen helen_3b3 at yahoo dot com
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Support Request Feb 19, 2008

Hi Tatiana,
I assume that you received this through your ProZ.com profile.

Not with the details provided, I'm afraid - unfortunately, posting the message in a public forum is only going to help the sender get more exposure.

May I suggest to submit a Support Request to site staff, quoting the full message including the IP address.

Best regards,
Ralf

Florence Bremond
Florence Bremond  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
Did you receive it through ProZ.com? Feb 19, 2008

Hello Tatiana
It is not clear whether or not you received it through ProZ.com?
If so, please forward me (through my profile or the instant message client) the profile link (if any) and the ip address, they appear on top of the message.
Thank you in advance.

Florence

ps - It seems that Ralf and I have answered at the same time...

[Modifié le 2008-02-19 19:47]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

found my profile and interested in me??

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »