Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 21:27
Member (2005)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Jan 28, 2008

Hello Fellow Translators,

So far, I have used Trend Micro and Norton Internet Security. The former is much less powerful than the latter. Unfortunately, the latter extremely slows down my computer.

This slowing down effect is extremely annoying to me while in fact speed is really important to me during my working hours.

With regard to your own experience, could you recommend which internet security programme is the best in terms of various aspects?
... See more
Hello Fellow Translators,

So far, I have used Trend Micro and Norton Internet Security. The former is much less powerful than the latter. Unfortunately, the latter extremely slows down my computer.

This slowing down effect is extremely annoying to me while in fact speed is really important to me during my working hours.

With regard to your own experience, could you recommend which internet security programme is the best in terms of various aspects?

Thank you very much for sharing.

Best Regards

Hipyan
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 17:27
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
ZoneAlarm Jan 28, 2008

I use ZA since years and always came back to it. In the meantime I had Norton (it was difficult to get rid of it) and F-Secure. ZA is most user friendly to my mind.
Regards
Heinrich

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:27
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
AVG Jan 28, 2008

Hi Hipyan,

There was a poll about antivirus tools http://www.proz.com/topic/80294?start=0&float= Funnily enough, it did not include AVG, which is my tool of choice. You can use the free version or pay for the professional one. Uses little resources and does not get in the way. If you search for AVG in the forums, you will see that it is very well spoken of.

Norton
... See more
Hi Hipyan,

There was a poll about antivirus tools http://www.proz.com/topic/80294?start=0&float= Funnily enough, it did not include AVG, which is my tool of choice. You can use the free version or pay for the professional one. Uses little resources and does not get in the way. If you search for AVG in the forums, you will see that it is very well spoken of.

Norton slows down your system viciously and tries to rule your life. As you say - not really what we need.

Yet another of its negative aspects is uninstalling it, because it leaves a load of unrequired registry debris. There is a Norton uninstall tool that my techie has: I'll check with him and repost.

Good luck

Chris
Collapse

Sven Petersson
Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 16:27
English to Swedish
+ ...
Think out of the box! Jan 28, 2008

Use Sandboxie (http://www.sandboxie.com/)!

Sven Petersson
Medical translator

Jakub Skřebský
Jakub Skřebský  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2008)
English to Czech
+ ...
recomendation Jan 28, 2008

I have quite good experience with AVG. However some users report a significant slow-down of their computers too. Another good one wold be Avast!. I have been running it on my back-up PC for almost 2 years and never came across a problem.

Jakub

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:27
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Clean Norton Removal Jan 28, 2008

Hi Hipyan:

My techie confirmed that this is the Norton removal tool he uses and that it works.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Uninstallers/Norton-Removal-Tool.shtml

Cheers

Chris

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Happy with BitDefender Jan 28, 2008

I have been using BitDefender Pro (includes firewall, antispam and antivirus) for 3 years. Unlike some mammoth programs eating up all your resources, it doesn't seem to affect performance (except when updating, which is quick).

It is also fairly cheap for renewals/upgrades compared to many competitors (about 20 euros for 2-year updates and a version upgrade).

You will also find on the Internet many reviews about various programs.

Happy shopping,
Phil
... See more
I have been using BitDefender Pro (includes firewall, antispam and antivirus) for 3 years. Unlike some mammoth programs eating up all your resources, it doesn't seem to affect performance (except when updating, which is quick).

It is also fairly cheap for renewals/upgrades compared to many competitors (about 20 euros for 2-year updates and a version upgrade).

You will also find on the Internet many reviews about various programs.

Happy shopping,
Philippe
Collapse

Hipyan Nopri
Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 21:27
Member (2005)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many Thanks Jan 28, 2008

Thanks everyone for your precious information on the best Internet security programme. Sorry for missing the poll, and thanks for the useful link.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Internet Security Programme Not Slowing Down the Computer

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »