yet another scam... don't they ever tire?
Thread poster: Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 08:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 25, 2007

Hello everyone!

I just got one of the (in)famous internet scams (a first for me, so far I'd only received the typical ones claiming to be from Paypal and similar organizations. I'm so excited!!!). I hope it's ok to copy and paste the whole thing here; I checked the IP address and it seems to come from Johannesburg.

I doubt fellow ProZians will fall prey to this sort of thing given that they come up so o
... See more
Hello everyone!

I just got one of the (in)famous internet scams (a first for me, so far I'd only received the typical ones claiming to be from Paypal and similar organizations. I'm so excited!!!). I hope it's ok to copy and paste the whole thing here; I checked the IP address and it seems to come from Johannesburg.

I doubt fellow ProZians will fall prey to this sort of thing given that they come up so often, but it doesn't hurt to show yet another MO.

If anyone decides to take matters in their own hands and scam the scammers, please send me a hidden copy of the e-mail to have a few laughs!

------------

Delivered-To: [my email]
Received: by 10.78.32.15 with SMTP id f15cs533442huf;
Sun, 25 Feb 2007 08:57:52 -0800 (PST)
Received: by 10.67.97.7 with SMTP id z7mr5111008ugl.1172422672525;
Return-Path:
Received: from gmail.com (dsl-244-240-229.telkomadsl.co.za [41.244.240.229])
by mx.google.com with SMTP id 5si3716286ugc.2007.02.25.08.57.46;
Received-SPF: neutral (google.com: 41.244.240.229 is neither permitted nor denied by best guess record for domain of [email protected])
Message-Id:
Subject: Pls. treat as private & urgent -[Mon, 26 Feb 2007 18:56:22 +0000]
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 18:56:22 +0000
MIME-Version: 1.0
To: "other person's email" other person's email
CC: my email,
other person's email

"REMITTANCE OF US$18.5M US DOLLARS, STRICTLY ON CONFIDENTIAL BASES"

Hello,

Greetings, Please forgive my indignation if this message comes to you as a surprise and may offend your personality for contacting you without your prior consent and writing you through this channel. I got your contact from the data-base I found on the internet search engine, in my search for a reliable foreigner that can have the capability and to champion a very big business opportunity.

After series of meditation to carry out the business effectively, I'm divinely directed to contact you, I believe that God has a way of helping who are in need. I am a Clients Services Officer in the Accounts Department of one of the prime banks in South Africa. I discovered the sum of $18.5 million US Dollars (Eighteen Million Five Hundred Thousand US. Dollars) flouting in an account that belongs to one of our foreign customers who died in a car accident on the 28/07/2000 according to my careful investigation.

Since we got information about his death, the bank have been expecting his next of kin to come over and claim this money but unfortunately up till now nobody has claimed this money yet. The Banking law and guidelines here stipulates that if such money remained unclaimed for a certain period of time, the money will be transferred into the bank treasury as unclaimed bill, except somebody applies for it as the next beneficiary as indicated in our banking policy.

It is therefore upon this situation that I have decided to make this business proposal to you, to seek your consent and your support to use your details as the next beneficiary of the money for a safety and subsequent disbursement of the fund since nobody is coming for it and because I don’t want this money to go into the bank’s treasury as an unclaimed fund.

The need for a foreigner partner in this business is occasioned by the fact that the deceased was a foreigner, and only a foreigner can stand as next beneficiary before this money can be approved for payment. I am willing to offer you a reasonable percentage of this money as a foreign partner, in respect to the provision of a foreign account where the money will be deposited. The procedure to enable the immediate transfer of this fund to you as arranged is that you must apply to the bank as the next beneficiary of this fund indicating your intention to transfer the money to an overseas bank account.

As soon as we have agreed on the terms to carry out this business, I will send to you a sample of the application which you will send to the bank to claim this money. Also I will not fail to bring to your notice that this transaction is hitch free, therefore you should not entertain any fear as all arrangements to ensure the payment approval of this money to your favour is guaranteed with my position in the bank.

You should please contact me by phone +27 79 259 4788 or this Email: [email protected] to indicate your interest so that we can discuss further on this transaction. Hope to hear from you soon.

Yours faithfully,

THOMAS BALOYI

NOTE: Please keep everything secret until the payment of this money is approved and transferred.

[zv2gf3ire9a]

EDIT: I hid my e-mail adress, as well as those of other people who were sent the same e-mail (thanks for the tip, Oddie, it skipped my mind for a moment)

[Edited at 2007-02-25 23:53]
Collapse

Florence Bremond
Florence Bremond  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:21
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
Email addresses Feb 25, 2007

Dear Andrea

While I'm not really concerned by the scammer's email address being written in clear in your posting (the risk is for him to receive a lot of scam in return - your own email address is more worrying, unless you are "so excited" (as you say) that you really want more. But I doubt it.

I would therefore advise to edit your posting and remove your personal data from public viewing.

... See more
Dear Andrea

While I'm not really concerned by the scammer's email address being written in clear in your posting (the risk is for him to receive a lot of scam in return - your own email address is more worrying, unless you are "so excited" (as you say) that you really want more. But I doubt it.

I would therefore advise to edit your posting and remove your personal data from public viewing.

Florence
Collapse

Andrea Riffo
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Feb 25, 2007

Dear Florence,

Thanks for the tip! I deleted my e-mail and left the scammer's since I see no harm in it. Still, if you (or other mods) still prefer me to delete as well, let me know

Warm greetings.
Andrea

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:21
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
please forgive my indignation... Feb 26, 2007

what a hoot! But, Andrea, you were supposed to keep everything a secret ... (thanks for my laugh of the day!!)

Benno Groeneveld
Benno Groeneveld  Identity Verified
United States
English to Dutch
+ ...
I can top that Feb 26, 2007

I recently received an email from the "Nederlandse Staatsloterij" saying that my email address had been chosen by the Dutch National Lottery to win a prize of 1 million euro.

Now, I know (and love) the Nederlandse Staatsloterij, actually I have a standing order with them, where they take 13.50 euro out of my account once in a while. And when I win, they plop the winnings straight back into my account! I've already won several times, 5 euro or so at a time (so they are still ahead, a
... See more
I recently received an email from the "Nederlandse Staatsloterij" saying that my email address had been chosen by the Dutch National Lottery to win a prize of 1 million euro.

Now, I know (and love) the Nederlandse Staatsloterij, actually I have a standing order with them, where they take 13.50 euro out of my account once in a while. And when I win, they plop the winnings straight back into my account! I've already won several times, 5 euro or so at a time (so they are still ahead, and they owe me!).

This email had all the right words (they even spelled Staatsloterij correctly!), addresses in the Netherlands and even a Dutch cell phone number (how do you recognize a Dutch cell phone number? Country code 31 and the number starts with 6). I even was foolish enough to try calling. Luckily they didn't answer, because Skype would have charged 27 cents for each minute as opposed to 2 cents a minute for a call to a landline in the Netherlands.

However, of course, it's too good to be true. So don't fall for this one either.

[Edited at 2007-02-26 01:51]
Collapse

Hipyan Nopri
Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 19:21
Member (2005)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Clean Mailbox Feb 26, 2007

Hi Andrea,

I am sure many people suffer from bombardment of scams and spams to their mailbox. My first email address receives many scams (most of them are from Africa and the Netherlands) and spams, particularly during weekends, and so does the second one.

Thanks God, now I have a clean mailbox. All incoming emails are from prospective clients, old clients, and my colleagues. No more scams or spams. This clean mailbox results from making my new email address invisible
... See more
Hi Andrea,

I am sure many people suffer from bombardment of scams and spams to their mailbox. My first email address receives many scams (most of them are from Africa and the Netherlands) and spams, particularly during weekends, and so does the second one.

Thanks God, now I have a clean mailbox. All incoming emails are from prospective clients, old clients, and my colleagues. No more scams or spams. This clean mailbox results from making my new email address invisible on my profile and not displaying my Moneybookers (or PayPal) icon on the profile either.

Good Luck.
Collapse

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
It just goes to show ... Feb 26, 2007

Patricia Rosas wrote:

... But, Andrea, you were supposed to keep everything a secret ...

... that you can't trust anyone these days!

MediaMatrix

Andrea Riffo
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
. Feb 26, 2007

mediamatrix wrote:

Patricia Rosas wrote:

... But, Andrea, you were supposed to keep everything a secret ...

... that you can't trust anyone these days!

MediaMatrix

Great start for a Monday morning!

Andrea

Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)
Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 14:21
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
a mistake Feb 26, 2007

Andrea,
I believe the guy made a mistake. Few years ago I stayed in SA for two years, I had a bank account there and I'm a foreigner, so I'm sure those money are mine. I just forgot to collect them
I have to call the guy.)))
cheers Ewa

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:21
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
I had a slightly different one yesterday. Mar 7, 2007

This one has a few extra twists and tricks.

Subject: moneybookers.com: Money Received
Date: 06/03/07 18.49
To: xxxx@xxxx

Payment details

Amount: USD 386.56
ID: 23455643
Subject: You must use the link below to accept the payme
... See more
This one has a few extra twists and tricks.

Subject: moneybookers.com: Money Received
Date: 06/03/07 18.49
To: xxxx@xxxx

Payment details

Amount: USD 386.56
ID: 23455643
Subject: You must use the link below to accept the payment.
Note: https://www.moneybookers.com/accept.php?payment_id?=23455643

Dear Sir/Madam,

We are writing you this email in regards to your account with
moneybookers.

In accordance with our terms and conditions, article 3.2., we would like
to kindly ask you to confirm your identity by doing the following:

1. Click the link below and update your account informations by filling the forms.

https://www.moneybookers.com/app/identify.pl

2. Send us copies of following documents:

- personal identification document (identity card or driving license or
international passport)
- a proof of the address submitted with our system (bank account
statement or utility bill)

You can send those scanned to our email address
[email protected] or faxed to +44 709 204 2001.

With best regards,

your moneybookers team

Moneybookers Security Reminders

Protect Your Password
Moneybookers and its representatives will NEVER ask you to reveal your password. There are NO EXCEPTIONS to this policy. If anyone asks for your password by phone refuse and immediately report this to [email protected].

I believe the From address is a genuine moneybookers one (but if you hit the reply button to this message to send anything there, it would go to the crooks), and the security reporting one at the end is certainly genuine. The latter is a neat touch because on the one hand, it might help to convince you that the message is genuine, and on the other hand, if you're suspicious of it, you are not going to use the link in the form to report it.
The amount of USD 386.56, though false, is not so huge as to make the whole thing incredible in itself.
The request for copies of identity documents sounded fishy to me, but some people might fall for it.
Anyway, I knew very well that there was no payment in US dollars due to me via moneybookers, and I know that whenever moneybookers has notified me of a payment into my account, it has alway named the party who paid it in.
So I ignored all the links, went to moneybookers.com page, found that [email protected] was genuine and reported it. I received a reply confirming that this was not from moneybookers and continuing as in the one above.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

yet another scam... don't they ever tire?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »