Firefox and cookies v IE and cookies
Thread poster: Marta Fernandez-Suarez (X)
Marta Fernandez-Suarez (X)
Marta Fernandez-Suarez (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:38
English to Spanish
Nov 5, 2006

Hello

I used to navigate using IE and recently downloaded Firefox. Firefox seems, according to general Proz forum oppinions, much safer, and yet I feel I have much less control over cookies.

I know you can delete the cookies any time in one go by pressing some short-cut keys (i.e. Clearing Privada Data function) but there doesn't seem to be a function (as there is in IE) to block always all third party cookies.

Do you think that therefore, as far as cookie
... See more
Hello

I used to navigate using IE and recently downloaded Firefox. Firefox seems, according to general Proz forum oppinions, much safer, and yet I feel I have much less control over cookies.

I know you can delete the cookies any time in one go by pressing some short-cut keys (i.e. Clearing Privada Data function) but there doesn't seem to be a function (as there is in IE) to block always all third party cookies.

Do you think that therefore, as far as cookies are concerned, Firefox is less safe than IE? Is it crucial to block third party cookies? In Firefox, is the safest setting for cookies to untick the "Accept cookies from sites" option and specify a few sites you need to use in the "Exceptions"?

Thank you very much for any answer and kind regards,

Marta

For anyone interested, the new IE is out now. Don't know if it is safer than the previous one, it is supposed to be. There is a recent thread on it in the Chinese forum:
http://www.proz.com/post/443460#443460

[Edited at 2006-11-05 12:28]
Collapse

María Leonor Acevedo-Miranda
María Leonor Acevedo-Miranda  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:38
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Mi experiencia con el Firefox Nov 5, 2006

Hola Marta

De mi experiencia te puedo decir que desde que bajé el Firefox nunca he tenido problemas con cookies u similares, pero de todos modos tengo en paralelo un Anti-Adware (... See more
Hola Marta

De mi experiencia te puedo decir que desde que bajé el Firefox nunca he tenido problemas con cookies u similares, pero de todos modos tengo en paralelo un Anti-Adware (http://www.lavasoft.de/) e un Anti-Spyware (El Spybot (http://www.safer-networking.org/pt/spybotsd/index.html) y si puedes programa el Firefox para que te pregunte si deseas recibir los cookies u no...

Buen domingo
Leonor Acevedo-Miranda
Collapse

United Kingdom
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
gracias Nov 5, 2006

Gracias, María Leonor:

Cambiaré la opción de las cookies a la que dices y miraré lo del Anty-adware.
I will change the option for cookies to the one you mention so that it asks me for authorisation to accept the cookies and will also have a look at the Anty-Adware from lavasoft

Un afectuoso saludo y buen domingo a ti también.

Marta

[Edited at 2006-11-05 14:37]

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
Not only cookies Nov 5, 2006

Not sure what you got in reply, as I don't read that language, so maybe my reply will be repetitive.

FF is safer than IE, but it's not only a matter of cookies. Actually cookies are not that harmful. IE has "holes" which allow harmful scripts to be executed, FF has holes too, but usually less critical, often patched and less of them. IE is least safe browser from all.

IE also installs things not asking and not informing you about that. FF will not install anything "on i
... See more
Not sure what you got in reply, as I don't read that language, so maybe my reply will be repetitive.

FF is safer than IE, but it's not only a matter of cookies. Actually cookies are not that harmful. IE has "holes" which allow harmful scripts to be executed, FF has holes too, but usually less critical, often patched and less of them. IE is least safe browser from all.

IE also installs things not asking and not informing you about that. FF will not install anything "on its own", it'll wait until you allow it to do it.

If you feel unsecured with Firefox (in my opinion unnecessarily), you can always try Opera. There are additional options for cookies settings, which you may find assuring than in FF.

I hope it helps

Anni

[Edited at 2006-11-05 18:10]
Collapse

United Kingdom
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Nov 6, 2006

Hi Anna

I just wondered about the opinion you have of the fact that you cannot block "third party cookies" (on whether it can pose a risk) and how to set FF so that it is at its safest.

Thanks for the advice.

Regards,

Marta

María, traduzco lo que escribiste, si no te importa.

Here is a translation (sorry if it is not perfect, I am not an English native) of the above post in Spanish:

María Leonor "wrote":
My experience with Firefox
Hi Marta

As far as my experience is concerned, I can say that, since I downloaded Firefox, I have never had any problems with cookies and the like, but, in any case, I use both an Anti-Adware (http://www.lavasoft.de/) and an Anti-Spyware ( Spybot (http://www.safer-networking.org/pt/spybotsd/index.html) and, if possible, do set Firefox so that it asks you permission to receive cookies...

Have a nice sunday!

[Edited at 2006-11-06 12:22]

John Jory
John Jory  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:38
English to German
+ ...
Blocking cookies Nov 6, 2006

Hi Marta,

I have FF in German, but you should be able to follow these instructions, even if the terms are not the same as I have used:

Open "Extras" and select "Settings" (at the bottom).
Then open the tab "Cookies" and click the button "Exceptions" (to the right of the checkbox for accepting cookies).
In the window that opens, you must follow the instructions to specify which cookies you want to block/accept.

HTH, John

BTW<
... See more
Hi Marta,

I have FF in German, but you should be able to follow these instructions, even if the terms are not the same as I have used:

Open "Extras" and select "Settings" (at the bottom).
Then open the tab "Cookies" and click the button "Exceptions" (to the right of the checkbox for accepting cookies).
In the window that opens, you must follow the instructions to specify which cookies you want to block/accept.

HTH, John

BTW
I do not use IE except for those stupid sites that do not display correctly with FF.
And I do not use Outlook for the simple reason that it is the favourite target for worms, trojans, and the like.

[Edited at 2006-11-06 11:52]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Firefox and cookies v IE and cookies

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »