Thread poster: Stephanie Wloch
Stephanie Wloch
Stephanie Wloch  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:08
Member (2003)
Dutch to German
Nov 1, 2006

Since 2 weeks I am receiving spam that is fooling my spamfilters. This is because of the general increase of spam to Dutch addresses, I guess.

But it seems now that there is spam especially for translators.
I work with webmail (squirrel) and what I see first is
Subject: job order connectto
Only the mailaddress is revealing: ... See more
Since 2 weeks I am receiving spam that is fooling my spamfilters. This is because of the general increase of spam to Dutch addresses, I guess.

But it seems now that there is spam especially for translators.
I work with webmail (squirrel) and what I see first is
Subject: job order connectto
Only the mailaddress is revealing:
[email protected]

Lately I got mail with a subject like
translator outsource

Tailor-made spam for translators?
This is really mean!:-(

Have a spam-free day!
Steffi
Collapse

Vauwe
Vauwe
English to German
+ ...
Spam Nov 1, 2006

That is spam.
I guess the sender's address will change with every mail because it's generated each time anew and so you will not succeed in blocking the sender.
Are there any other translators on c.c. in the mails?

My mail address was also beaconed and no filter setting helped to block it. Now all my mails stay in quarantine on the provider's server untill I' ll free them. Of course I don't free spams. They will rot on the provider's server and do not get to my computer.

Yolande Haneder (X)
Yolande Haneder (X)  Identity Verified
German to French
+ ...
Spam and job orders Nov 1, 2006

To whom it may concern:

Not all such addresses are Spam. I have an automated job management system who is sending my mails under the following Address:

u13086 @ vm37.bln2.vrmd.de

I find it very practical and very time sparing to send group mails rather than using my normal e-mail address (where I have to write everything manually).

This address is being blocked by some providers but luckily since I am also using my normal address from time to t
... See more
To whom it may concern:

Not all such addresses are Spam. I have an automated job management system who is sending my mails under the following Address:

u13086 @ vm37.bln2.vrmd.de

I find it very practical and very time sparing to send group mails rather than using my normal e-mail address (where I have to write everything manually).

This address is being blocked by some providers but luckily since I am also using my normal address from time to time, my most regular translator have already freed me of the automatic Spam list of their provider.

Does anyone know how to send automatic generated mails and not being flagged as Spam because of the address?
Collapse

Fan Gao
Fan Gao
Australia
Local time: 22:08
English to Chinese
+ ...
How do you do that? Nov 1, 2006

Vauwe wrote:
Now all my mails stay in quarantine on the provider's server untill I' ll free them. Of course I don't free spams. They will rot on the provider's server and do not get to my computer.

Hi,

I'd be interested in hearing how you go about setting that up. Can you imagine, if everyone did that then it could stop spam altogether:) or is it not that simple?

Thanks,
Mark

Vauwe
Vauwe
English to German
+ ...
How I did it? Nov 1, 2006

With Outlook Express I have the option to use a POP3 server or an IMAP server. The IMAP is the one where the mails remain on the provider's server until I "free" them. I can choose the IMAP server on the provider's homepage where I enter my settings. I don't know how your provider and email account are organized and support IMAP. You could ask your provider.

[Bearbeitet am 2006-11-01 13:21]
This procedure doesn't stop spam, but spam doesn't land on your computer and bothers you.
... See more
With Outlook Express I have the option to use a POP3 server or an IMAP server. The IMAP is the one where the mails remain on the provider's server until I "free" them. I can choose the IMAP server on the provider's homepage where I enter my settings. I don't know how your provider and email account are organized and support IMAP. You could ask your provider.

[Bearbeitet am 2006-11-01 13:21]
This procedure doesn't stop spam, but spam doesn't land on your computer and bothers you.

[Bearbeitet am 2006-11-01 13:23]
Collapse

Michele Johnson
Michele Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
IMAP quarantine Nov 1, 2006

Like Vauwe, my provider also provides IMAP quarantine (combined with highly sophisticated, configurable Bayesian spam filters/whitelists/blacklists/etc.). From the terminology alone, I suspect we may have the same provider

Because I have very strict settings, the occasional false positive does turn up, so I browse through the quarantined mail subjects periodically. Once a week there might be a non-spam email there a
... See more
Like Vauwe, my provider also provides IMAP quarantine (combined with highly sophisticated, configurable Bayesian spam filters/whitelists/blacklists/etc.). From the terminology alone, I suspect we may have the same provider

Because I have very strict settings, the occasional false positive does turn up, so I browse through the quarantined mail subjects periodically. Once a week there might be a non-spam email there amongst the hundreds of actual spam messages.

Granted, this is a bit off-topic from Steffi's original post.

Chinese Concept wrote:

Vauwe wrote:
Now all my mails stay in quarantine on the provider's server untill I' ll free them. Of course I don't free spams. They will rot on the provider's server and do not get to my computer.

Hi,

I'd be interested in hearing how you go about setting that up. Can you imagine, if everyone did that then it could stop spam altogether:) or is it not that simple?

Thanks,
Mark
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Job order does not sound like spam

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »