Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
At wits end: email barrage (with nonsense subject lines). Is there any way to stop this?
Thread poster: slabejka
Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 11:39
Spanish to English
yahoo Oct 20, 2006

My yahoo email seems to manage to recognise spam without my having to do anything.

But I think it is also a good idea not to subscribe or buy anything giving your main email address. My spam always increases if when I give an email address to a service provider.

slabejka
slabejka
Local time: 19:39
Slovak to English
TOPIC STARTER
new favorite subject line Oct 20, 2006

Rebecca Hendry wrote:

I have recently been receiving a lot of spam emails to my work email account (my personal hotmail account has been receiving them for ages and the hotmail spam filter is far from perfect). I installed SpamBayes a while ago and have been quite pleased with the results. This is a free plugin for Microsoft Outlook (and I think Outlook Express too) - you train the programme to recognise spam messages which it then sends to a specially created "Junk Suspects" folder. You can then check the junk folder occasionally to make sure no non-spam messages have slipped through by mistake.

You can download it here - http://spambayes.sourceforge.net/

My current favourite subject lines are:

bread
gregarious
cologne freshen
unsettled malady

Good luck!

Becky.

Just in! Add this to your list of faves!
"vagrant concrete"

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 13:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
It has worked for me Oct 20, 2006

Rebecca Hendry wrote:

I installed SpamBayes a while ago and have been quite pleased with the results.

I have also been using Spambayes for some time and am quite hapy with it. It takes some time to "teach" it to recognise junk mail from legit mail, but it's worth it.

My current favourite subject lines are:

bread
gregarious
cologne freshen
unsettled malady

Becky.

Unsettled malady is also among my favourites, but the Top 1 right now is ViiAjrRa.... I wonder if they also sell AspiIriinJs...

Cheers!

Andrea

Rod Darby (X)
Rod Darby (X)  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 17:39
German to English
+ ...
I'm with Lesley Oct 20, 2006

with some trepidation, here's my "fix" (although there are some very professional posts up above):
I don't get any spam (this will probably change INSTANTLY!) on my own web address, which is not as expensive as you might think (US$14.95 per year for the domain and US$24 per year for a rather mini-sized mail-box - interested readers can mail me for details of my ISP).
But then I use free mail-boxes (yes, plural) for ordering airline tickets, books, and, er, viewing "adult" sites; gmx.
... See more
with some trepidation, here's my "fix" (although there are some very professional posts up above):
I don't get any spam (this will probably change INSTANTLY!) on my own web address, which is not as expensive as you might think (US$14.95 per year for the domain and US$24 per year for a rather mini-sized mail-box - interested readers can mail me for details of my ISP).
But then I use free mail-boxes (yes, plural) for ordering airline tickets, books, and, er, viewing "adult" sites; gmx.net and web.de spring to mind here if you are in Germany, but I guess just about every country has them.
OK, that's my tuppence worth.
Good luck!
Rod
Collapse

Vauwe
Vauwe
Local time: 19:39
English to German
+ ...
Outlook Express Oct 20, 2006

I have Outlook Express and I configured it so that all emails land on the provider's server. There I have to sort out all 'Johns' etc. , mark them as spam, and let the good ones pass to my email account on my computer. The first days after the configuration I had to check several time an hour because everybody was caught there. Now I check only once or twice a day and find one or two spam mails a day.

Erika Pavelka (X)
Erika Pavelka (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:39
French to English
I second Mailwasher Oct 20, 2006

I've been using Mailwasher for a few years now and would not give it up for anything. It checks the e-mail on your server and you can delete any spam before you download messages into your mail program. I have it set to check every 10 minutes and when there are new messages, it lets me know. You can add people to a Friends list or a Blacklist. When you have a lot of messages, you can hide the addresses marked as Friends to make it easier to sort through the rest. You then either delete or bounce... See more
I've been using Mailwasher for a few years now and would not give it up for anything. It checks the e-mail on your server and you can delete any spam before you download messages into your mail program. I have it set to check every 10 minutes and when there are new messages, it lets me know. You can add people to a Friends list or a Blacklist. When you have a lot of messages, you can hide the addresses marked as Friends to make it easier to sort through the rest. You then either delete or bounce the messages, then download.

It's very easy to use and discreet, but very effective.
Collapse

davidgreen
davidgreen
German to English
there is a way to filter these Oct 21, 2006

If you show the full header information in the messages, then go from one to the next looking for things like the IP address or common strings of numbers/letters, you'll probably find every message has something in common, for example a number like 156737abEE-3. Then you set a filter to delete all messages containing this.

[Edited at 2006-10-21 09:17]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

At wits end: email barrage (with nonsense subject lines). Is there any way to stop this?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »