Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 13:20
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 18, 2006

I want to know the correct way to use a car battery for a laptop. The car battery outputs 12 V Direct Current, which is suposed to be the input of almost any laptop.

Why? I often visit my parents who live in a town where the electric system crashes constantly. I have been waiting up to 10 hours until the system is recovered.

mrr2ro
mrr2ro
United States
Local time: 14:20
English to Spanish
+ ...
Get a power inverter Oct 18, 2006

Get a DC/AC power inverter
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=100%20Watt%20POWER%20INVERTERS&btnG=Search

The input on a laptop is not just straight DC voltage, it is rectified and attenuated voltages and currents.

Connect the inverter to the car battery; connect your laptop to the 120V ac outlet in the inverter.
<
... See more
Get a DC/AC power inverter
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=100%20Watt%20POWER%20INVERTERS&btnG=Search

The input on a laptop is not just straight DC voltage, it is rectified and attenuated voltages and currents.

Connect the inverter to the car battery; connect your laptop to the 120V ac outlet in the inverter.

If the link above does not display properly, just do a froogle.google.com search for the word POWER INVERTERS and sort by price - low to high -- you will see they start at U$9. -- yes -- 9 dollars.

Arturo Pinzon - SpanishTech Spanish Translations Austin Texas

[Edited at 2006-10-18 04:00]

[Edited at 2006-10-18 04:00]
Collapse

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 21:20
English to Swedish
+ ...
In car or separate? Oct 18, 2006

Hi!

Do you plan to use it from within the car, or as a loose component (the battery standing inside your room)?

For use in the car, there are convenient adapters that you plug into the cigarette lighter jack.

Plesae clarify...

/Jan

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Motorcycle battery on UPS Oct 18, 2006

Yaotl Altan wrote:
I want to know the correct way to use a car battery for a laptop. The car battery outputs 12 V Direct Current, which is suposed to be the input of almost any laptop.

I don't know. But on a related note: a friend of mine tells me that the battery used in a UPS device is the same or very similar to that of a motorcycle battery.

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
Most notebooks are powered with 19 - 21 V Oct 18, 2006

The best solution is to buy a standard car battery 12 V and a converter 12 V > your mains voltage. Thus you can use your standard power suply adapter.
With correct power saving settings you can work several hours long.

Regards

Andrzej

Delia Georgescu
Delia Georgescu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 22:20
English to Romanian
+ ...
another suggestion Oct 18, 2006

Hello. Check this one: http://www.tripplite.com/products/product.cfm?productID=2552. I have one and it did not fail me so far. Good luck!
Delia

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Italian to English
+ ...
Forget inverters Oct 18, 2006

Hi Yaotl,

Don’t connect the laptop straight to the car battery.

You can use an inverter but this doesn’t work well (from experience) as you’re converting 12VDC to 220/110VAC then back down to 19VDC or whatever you laptop runs on. Inverters don’t like this (trips the cut-out on mine). They’re ok for running a mains appliance off a car battery but if you want to run a laptop the best way imo is with a car extension lead from your laptop manufacturer. This is des
... See more
Hi Yaotl,

Don’t connect the laptop straight to the car battery.

You can use an inverter but this doesn’t work well (from experience) as you’re converting 12VDC to 220/110VAC then back down to 19VDC or whatever you laptop runs on. Inverters don’t like this (trips the cut-out on mine). They’re ok for running a mains appliance off a car battery but if you want to run a laptop the best way imo is with a car extension lead from your laptop manufacturer. This is designed to be used with the variable voltage you get off a car battery and plugs into a cigarette lighter socket, which you can easily wire up and connect to the battery. The transformer in the extension lead transforms the 11-13V of the car battery to the voltage needed by your laptop, and you can use it in any car, camper etc, and it may also have another extension for plugging it into the mains. Ideal for travelling which is what they’re for. An 80ah battery will last for donkeys btw.

These car extension leads can be expensive, mine was about 130€, still less than what it’ll cost you if you try wiring the laptop straight to the battery though.
Have fun.
Collapse

Yaotl Altan
Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi and thanx Oct 18, 2006

Jan Sundström wrote:

Hi!

Do you plan to use it from within the car, or as a loose component (the battery standing inside your room)?

/Jan

I plan to use it as a loose component

Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
Inverters Oct 19, 2006

Well, I think inverters are definitely a better choice and there are special inverters (sinewave inverters) for operating computers and they work pretty well. Or you can use a good UPS which give you a back-up of 15 minutes to 4-5 hours depending on the sort of UPS you have.

I use an inverter and am pretty happy with it.

Definitely a better choice than a battery as this helps you avoid some problems that you might have if you use just a battery.

Regards,... See more
Well, I think inverters are definitely a better choice and there are special inverters (sinewave inverters) for operating computers and they work pretty well. Or you can use a good UPS which give you a back-up of 15 minutes to 4-5 hours depending on the sort of UPS you have.

I use an inverter and am pretty happy with it.

Definitely a better choice than a battery as this helps you avoid some problems that you might have if you use just a battery.

Regards,

Ritu Bhanot
Collapse

Yaotl Altan
Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
THank you Oct 19, 2006

Ritu Bhanot wrote:

Well, I think inverters are definitely a better choice and there are special inverters (sinewave inverters) for operating computers and they work pretty well. Or you can use a good UPS which give you a back-up of 15 minutes to 4-5 hours depending on the sort of UPS you have. ...

Ritu Bhanot

Thank you very much, all of you for your kind suggestions.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

car battery for laptop

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »