Chantal Kamgne
Chantal Kamgne  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:14
Member (2006)
English to French
SITE LOCALIZER
Aug 24, 2006

I use a free email service and this is what I found today in my bulk folder (Nothing is changed except the adress and name that I found to be real outsourcer adress and name):

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

The original message was received at
from qmail

I'm sorry to inform you that the message you have sent
could not be delivered to one or more destinations.

----- The following ad
... See more
I use a free email service and this is what I found today in my bulk folder (Nothing is changed except the adress and name that I found to be real outsourcer adress and name):

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

The original message was received at
from qmail

I'm sorry to inform you that the message you have sent
could not be delivered to one or more destinations.

----- The following addresses had permanent delivery errors -----
**outsourcer adress**
: (unrecoverable error)

----- Transcript of session follows -----
mail.local: unknown name: **outsourcer name**
550 **outsourcer adress**
: User unknown in virtual mailbox table
Message/delivery-status

Reporting-MTA: dns; mx1.yahoo.com
Received-From-MTA: dns; qmail
Arrival-Date:
Final-Recipient: rfc822; **outsourcer adress**
X-Actual-Recipient: rfc822; **outsourcer adress**

Action: failed
Last-Attempt-Date:
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 **outsourcer adress**User unknown in
virtual mailbox table

I found that the outsourcer posted a job offer today, actually not in my working pairs. I did not bid and I did not send him an E-mail, so am I right to say that this message looks like a spam? how do they do this? What do I risk?

[Edited at 2006-08-24 21:10]
Collapse

Pilar T. Bayle (X)
Pilar T. Bayle (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sometimes... Aug 25, 2006

I don't know how (I guess, though), but they actually send you messages that look like a returned message originated in your mailbox. The text in the message looks genuine enough, but what gives them away is the header. If you can display it fully, you'll see it probably did not originate from a mailer daemon.

From time to time, I personally receive emails that appear to have originated from bogus accounts in my domain. But it's all a game: display the full header.

The
... See more
I don't know how (I guess, though), but they actually send you messages that look like a returned message originated in your mailbox. The text in the message looks genuine enough, but what gives them away is the header. If you can display it fully, you'll see it probably did not originate from a mailer daemon.

From time to time, I personally receive emails that appear to have originated from bogus accounts in my domain. But it's all a game: display the full header.

The only risk you may encounter is that sometimes these emails may carry a virus as an attachment. The tendency is to actually open the attachment to see what you had sent, because that's a very common way of returning undeliverable mails. So do not fall into temptation.

If your provider is semi-decent, the message will be stripped of any viruses attached.

P.
www.pbayle.com/blogs-english
Collapse

casey
casey  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:14
Japanese to English
Spammers Aug 25, 2006

Just another way that spammers like to harrass people and another reason why they should all be dragged out into the street and shot.

Pilar T. Bayle (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A little bit radical... Aug 25, 2006

Just another way that spammers like to harrass people and another reason why they should all be dragged out into the street and shot.

For something that is a major nuisance but requires no special skills from anyone, just some common sense (DO NOT OPEN anything, get a paid account, etc., etc.)...

P.

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 16:14
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Radical? Not at all... Aug 25, 2006

http://www.thespeciousreport.com/2003_killaspammer.html

Uldis

Pilar T. Bayle (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Trigger happy... :D Aug 25, 2006

Why am I not surprised???

P.

[Edited at 2006-08-25 09:17]

Christopher Burin
Christopher Burin  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:14
French to English
+ ...
Spam Aug 25, 2006

Yes, I get lots of these too. They're just spam/e-mails from people trying to get your personal details. Delete them and ignore them!

Manuel Rossetti (X)
Manuel Rossetti (X)
Local time: 14:14
undeliverable mail Aug 25, 2006

In this old email account that I've abandoned it gets alot of those in the Spam box.

ahmadwadan.com
ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Saudi Arabia
Local time: 16:14
English to Arabic
+ ...
Exactly! Spammers! Aug 27, 2006

casey wrote:

I totally agree with that. Another way spammers use to attract your attention is to send you an email that appears to be sent by yourself.

Best wishes
Ahmed wadan
http://www.arablish.com/ahmad-wadan.htm

[Edited at 2006-08-27 11:21]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error delivery message: But I did not send a message

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »