needs to be
updated as part of our continuing commitment to protect your account
and to
reduce the instance of fraud on our website. If you could please
take
5-10 minutes
out of your online experience and update your personal records you will
not run into
any future problems with the online service.

However, failure to update your records will result in account
suspension.
Please update your records on or before July 08, 2006.

Once you have updated your account records, your PayPal® session will
not be
interrupted and will continue as normal.
To update your PayPal® records click on the following link:
http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_login-run

Thank You.
PayPal®
Accounts Management As outlined in our User Agreement, PayPal® will
periodically send you information about site changes and enhancements.
Visit our Privacy Policy and User Agreement if you have any
questions.

http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/ua/policy_privacy-outside

I didn't like the look of it, so I wrote to PayPal asking whether it was from them and they replied that it most certainly was NOT and that undoer NO circumstances was I to access those links.
Be warned since it looks VERY convincing indeed (logo and all)!!!

Andrea

[Modificato alle 2006-07-03 07:49]

giogi
giogi
Local time: 21:43
I got the same message a couple of months ago Jul 3, 2006

Andrea Re wrote:

However, failure to update your records will result in account
suspension.
Please update your records on or before July 08, 2006.

and simply ignored it....Nothing happened and my Paypal account is still as fit as a fiddle!!!!!!!!
Giovanna

Andrea

[Modificato alle 2006-07-03 07:49] [/quote]

LuciaC
LuciaC
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
Similar message Jul 3, 2006

from ebay and I don't even have an ebay account! The best thing was that I brought the mouse on the link, without clicking, and at the bottom of the screen an Eastern European private email address appeared.

I don't have a PayPal address but I wonder, how does PayPal communicate with users and sends them genuine messages nowadays?

Andrea Re
Andrea Re  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
real messages Jul 3, 2006

Lucia Cavalli wrote:

I don't have a PayPal address but I wonder, how does PayPal communicate with users and sends them genuine messages nowadays?

Good question..... usually my name appears at the top (which it didn't in this case) and in any case I don't think I was ever asked to click on a link, except when I registered.
The mail I receive from them is usually regarding money coming in (hurrah!!) or going out (:() when a transaction takes place.

I got a message from "ebay" as well, but that was easy because I don't have an e-bay account. However in this case it was "PayPal" and they used my paypal e-mail that I do not use for anything else.... I almost fell for it, but in the end I didn't because the same message was also sent using a non PayPal-related e-mail address and that looked suspicious. Had I received only the message at the PayPal address I would have probably been infected with goodness knows what by now.

Andrea

[Modificato alle 2006-07-03 09:06]

Peter Shortall
Peter Shortall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Romanian to English
+ ...
"eBay" messages Jul 3, 2006

I haven't had a PayPal one yet, but over the last three months or so I've had a couple purporting to be from eBay (and no, I don't have an account with them, nor have I ever visited their site) warning me that they suspect someone of "fraudently using a credit card associated with this account", and telling me that I needed to contact them to verify my identity otherwise the account would be suspended (shock, horror!) and I would be held liable for any losses incurred by them (more worrying). Th... See more
I haven't had a PayPal one yet, but over the last three months or so I've had a couple purporting to be from eBay (and no, I don't have an account with them, nor have I ever visited their site) warning me that they suspect someone of "fraudently using a credit card associated with this account", and telling me that I needed to contact them to verify my identity otherwise the account would be suspended (shock, horror!) and I would be held liable for any losses incurred by them (more worrying). There were several links on the messages and all in all, they appeared moderately convincing (apart from the fact that they did not seem to know my name!) In the one you got they don't seem to have addressed you by name either, which I think is a telling sign.

If I had had an eBay account I might even have fallen for the ones I received, I'm just thankful I don't. I never clicked on the links or replied, and no court summonses have hit my doormat yet... Thanks for the tip-off, though - I'll beware messages from "PayPal" too in future.

[Edited at 2006-07-03 11:29]
Collapse

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Spamcop Jul 3, 2006

www.spamcop.net

The number of these emails I receive had fallen to almost zero until more recently. It would seem they are at it again!

Previous ProZ posts:

www.proz.com/post/267234
... See more

www.spamcop.net

The number of these emails I receive had fallen to almost zero until more recently. It would seem they are at it again!

Previous ProZ posts:

www.proz.com/post/267234
www.proz.com/post/236801
www.proz.com/post/233238
www.proz.com/topic/36875

[Edited at 2006-07-03 14:06]
Collapse

Dees
Dees  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
One tip to know if you received a genuine email from Paypal Jul 3, 2006

Hello,

I read somewhere on Paypal's website (FAQ section maybe...) that one way to be sure you received a genuine email from Paypal is to check if it is directly addressed to you: genuine emails start with "Dear + your first name + your surname" and your name appears as the recipient of the email and not something like "Undisclosed recipients".

I hope this is helpful and that spammers won't get any smarter in future...

Have a good Monday!...
See more
Hello,

I read somewhere on Paypal's website (FAQ section maybe...) that one way to be sure you received a genuine email from Paypal is to check if it is directly addressed to you: genuine emails start with "Dear + your first name + your surname" and your name appears as the recipient of the email and not something like "Undisclosed recipients".

I hope this is helpful and that spammers won't get any smarter in future...

Have a good Monday!

[Edited at 2006-07-03 12:15]
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:43
Spanish to English
+ ...
True Jul 3, 2006

Andrea Re wrote:

Good question..... usually my name appears at the top

In any case, PayPal has an e-mail address in every country for reporting these messages. Just forward the message received with its original headers copied and pasted to your e-mail. They have tools for tracking down these people.

To get the headers, right-click on the selected message in your in-box and go to "Properties". Click on the "Details" tab and copy the text that you find.

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 02:13
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Me too Jul 3, 2006

I regularly get such mail. I reported a couple of them to paypal and was advised never to open such mails or to reveal my password or username to the senders.

Fortunately, my gmail identifies all such mail as spam and puts them in the spam folder. I just delete them as soon as they arrive without opening them.

These are just ploys to get your paypal log in details, and if you absent mindedly open any such mail and furnish your password and username, you are quite likely
... See more
I regularly get such mail. I reported a couple of them to paypal and was advised never to open such mails or to reveal my password or username to the senders.

Fortunately, my gmail identifies all such mail as spam and puts them in the spam folder. I just delete them as soon as they arrive without opening them.

These are just ploys to get your paypal log in details, and if you absent mindedly open any such mail and furnish your password and username, you are quite likely to lose all the money you have in your paypal account.

To avoid this, you should always change your password immediately if you have compromised yourself by revealing your password and username to any of these mail senders.
Collapse

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:43
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Spam e-mails from PayPal and Ebay Jul 4, 2006

Forward these messages (do not change the subject box or anything) to:

[email protected] or
[email protected]

and help them catch these criminals.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

spam from someone pretending to be PayPal

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »