Spam from an agency?
Thread poster: Anna Strowe
Anna Strowe
Anna Strowe
Local time: 12:44
Italian to English
Jun 19, 2006

I'm not sure that this is in the right forum, but here goes...

For the last few weeks, my email inbox has been filled with spam from a translation agency. I had sent this agency my email address replying to a post on Proz for jobs some time ago, and I've even received a request from them for a translation since the spam started arriving. The emails are about 170k each, and I sometimes get 5 a day, all from the same address. They're titled things like "Check out these photos" and
... See more
I'm not sure that this is in the right forum, but here goes...

For the last few weeks, my email inbox has been filled with spam from a translation agency. I had sent this agency my email address replying to a post on Proz for jobs some time ago, and I've even received a request from them for a translation since the spam started arriving. The emails are about 170k each, and I sometimes get 5 a day, all from the same address. They're titled things like "Check out these photos" and other great spam titles.

My question is this: Should I email this company to let them know this is happening? I assume this is a legitimate agency (should I not?) since the job posting I initially responded to, as well as the more recent request, both seem reasonable and legitimate.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Anna
Collapse

Armorel Young
Armorel Young  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:44
German to English
Sounds like spoofing Jun 19, 2006

In other words, the e-mail only appears to be coming from the agency's address but in fact it is nothing to do with them - the spammer is using their address in order to conceal his own. But I'm not enough of an expert to know what they can do about it.

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:44
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Spam can be sent from any address Jun 19, 2006

I have even had a virus sent a couple of times recently (Bagle worm, I think it's called), giving my own e-mail address as the sender. Apparently there is a plague of these virus e-mails coming from the recipient's own address at the moment. However, somehow spammers or hackers also sometimes find out who is connected with who (through gaining access to address books), and then make people think they are getting spam or viruses from companies that they deal with, who are perfectly respectable.... See more
I have even had a virus sent a couple of times recently (Bagle worm, I think it's called), giving my own e-mail address as the sender. Apparently there is a plague of these virus e-mails coming from the recipient's own address at the moment. However, somehow spammers or hackers also sometimes find out who is connected with who (through gaining access to address books), and then make people think they are getting spam or viruses from companies that they deal with, who are perfectly respectable.

I bet the agency doesn't know anything about it, so I suggest you tell them.

Astrid
Collapse

KathyT
KathyT  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 02:44
Japanese to English
Similar thread posted recently Jun 19, 2006

Hi Anna,

There was a similar thread posted recently @ http://www.proz.com/topic/49527.

The info there might be of some help to you....

Kathy

F Schultze (X)
F Schultze (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Danish to English
+ ...
Probably from a third computer infected with a virus Jun 20, 2006

First of all, if you don't have one already, you must get an anti-virus program that checks email, and be sure it is updated. And if any email has an attachment that you are not expecting, don't even open it. Just delete it. If friends are forwarding emails with some fun like animated PowerPoint presentations (PPT-files), again: delete.

The spam probably comes from a computer that - without its owner's knowing - has a virus. That computer has received from or sent email to both your
... See more
First of all, if you don't have one already, you must get an anti-virus program that checks email, and be sure it is updated. And if any email has an attachment that you are not expecting, don't even open it. Just delete it. If friends are forwarding emails with some fun like animated PowerPoint presentations (PPT-files), again: delete.

The spam probably comes from a computer that - without its owner's knowing - has a virus. That computer has received from or sent email to both your and the agency. The virus will pick an email address that it finds in the computer as sender and then send the spam or virus to all other email addresses it finds in the computer.

The header of the email will reveal the IP address where the spam/virus originates. It could be a dynamic address but it can still give you an idea where the spam comes from geographically. With some detective work you may be able to figure out who it is. Or you may set up a filter in the email server at your ISP to block emails from the originating IP address or domain.

Good luck -- Flemming
Collapse

Anna Strowe
Anna Strowe
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jun 21, 2006

Thanks for all the great advice. I do have good antivirus software (as well as a Mac computer, which tends not to get viruses), and I definitely don't open things I'm not expecting. I'll try to look at the IP though, and see if it is in fact from the agency or not.

Again, thank you all for your suggestions.

Anna

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spam from an agency?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »