PCFort offsite remote backup
Thread poster: Mary Lalevee
Mary Lalevee
Mary Lalevee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:59
French to English
Feb 4, 2006

I have been having trouble saving my files on CR-Roms so looked into the posisbility of using a system where they are saved on a remote server. I looked at Xdrive and PCFort (here in the UK).

I have signed up for PCFort then suddenly thought I should have asked for other people's experiences with this kind of system!

So far it seems to work fine, it automatically backs up all my files once a day and in theory I can then download them from any pc using the password. Soun
... See more
I have been having trouble saving my files on CR-Roms so looked into the posisbility of using a system where they are saved on a remote server. I looked at Xdrive and PCFort (here in the UK).

I have signed up for PCFort then suddenly thought I should have asked for other people's experiences with this kind of system!

So far it seems to work fine, it automatically backs up all my files once a day and in theory I can then download them from any pc using the password. Sounds perfect but are there any catches?
Collapse

awilliams
awilliams
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:59
Italian to English
+ ...
PCFort offsite remote backup Feb 4, 2006

Hi Mary,
Not really an answer to your question (sorry!), but have you thought about getting an external hard drive? I found a 160GB drive on Amazon for around GBP 70.00. OK, so it doesn't solve the remote storage problem (although you could always get another and store that elsewhere). It's so easy to use and inexpensive, too.

I've never come across PCFort before but my only concern (apart from the price - you pay a lot more per GB than with an external hard drive) would be se
... See more
Hi Mary,
Not really an answer to your question (sorry!), but have you thought about getting an external hard drive? I found a 160GB drive on Amazon for around GBP 70.00. OK, so it doesn't solve the remote storage problem (although you could always get another and store that elsewhere). It's so easy to use and inexpensive, too.

I've never come across PCFort before but my only concern (apart from the price - you pay a lot more per GB than with an external hard drive) would be security - how secure is your data and what kind of back-up do they have?

[Edited at 2006-02-04 11:40]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PCFort offsite remote backup

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »