Thread poster: IanW (X)
IanW (X)
IanW (X)
Local time: 18:39
German to English
+ ...
Jan 18, 2006

Dear all,

I'm sure has been asked before but I can't find anything suitable using the forum search.

What I am looking for is software to back up my hard disk on an external hard disk. Specifically, every time I turn my computer off, it should copy over all the files that have changed (ideally from selected directories). It should be fast and user-friendly.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks

Ian

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 19:39
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
I use iOmega Jan 18, 2006

I don't know what the software costs, though, as mine came with iOmega external disk. But it's good, you can schedule backup from instant to whatever, as well as choose what to backup. It also supports backup on more than one external disk, you can use separate settings for each.

http://www.iomega.com/global/index.jsp

Uldis

Ingo Dierkschnieder
Ingo Dierkschnieder  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:39
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
I recently bought TurboBackup... Jan 18, 2006

...which is quite fast and efficient and at the moment available for $49.95 (http://www.filestream.com/turbobackup/). I actually bought for half the price via WinZip, if you are a registered WinZip user, you might still be able to get it for the reduced price.

Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
German to French
UltraBackup Jan 18, 2006

http://www.astase.com/products/?UltraBackup

Exactly what you're looking for. Freeware, very easy to use, very powerful and user-frendly. It's French, but maybe you can download an English language file...

HTH,
Sylvain

Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Genie-Soft Jan 18, 2006

I have been using them for a year. I started with licence for home users and in the course of a year they offered me a very good deal to upgrade to professional version.
At the time I was not quite sure exactly what appart from my documents I should be backuping and most of the programs asked you what you want to bakup. Whereas this one gives you choice of loads of necessary updates, you just have to tick them.
Also, you can backup the data in such a way, that if you insert the backu
... See more
I have been using them for a year. I started with licence for home users and in the course of a year they offered me a very good deal to upgrade to professional version.
At the time I was not quite sure exactly what appart from my documents I should be backuping and most of the programs asked you what you want to bakup. Whereas this one gives you choice of loads of necessary updates, you just have to tick them.
Also, you can backup the data in such a way, that if you insert the backup disk on a different computer which does not have a Geniue-Soft software, you would still be able to get all your data out.
As in most cases, you can schedule the backups, you can just have an icon on the desktop with your weekly or daily backup selection.
And you can backup while you work. The only thing I noticed it does not backup then is a translation memory. No idea why. The rest, the documents you have open, gets transfered to you backup.
All in all I am very happy with this software.

http://www.genie-soft.com/

Have fun choosing!
Ines

[Edited at 2006-01-18 14:56]

[Edited at 2006-01-18 15:00]
Collapse

Armorel Young
Armorel Young  Identity Verified
German to English
Maxtor + Retrospect Jan 18, 2006

I'm not sure you need to buy any separate software - I bought a Maxtor external hard drive and it came with Retrospect software, which does exactly what you want. It is set so that it backs up pre-defined folders from the internal hard drive completely automatically every evening at 9 p.m., and in addition its "One Touch" facility means that the same backup is carried up every time you press the button on the front of the drive, so you can back up at any time during the day if you have done a su... See more
I'm not sure you need to buy any separate software - I bought a Maxtor external hard drive and it came with Retrospect software, which does exactly what you want. It is set so that it backs up pre-defined folders from the internal hard drive completely automatically every evening at 9 p.m., and in addition its "One Touch" facility means that the same backup is carried up every time you press the button on the front of the drive, so you can back up at any time during the day if you have done a substantial amount of work. I really like the ease with which the drive can be unplugged and put in a safe place if I leave the house or go away - it has freed me from a lot of niggling worries about what would happen if my computer were stolen or damaged.Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
EZBackitup Jan 18, 2006

I use it for daily backup of my data files to an external HD. No frills, free, user-friendly and does the job. Fairly quick as well.

Benno Groeneveld
Benno Groeneveld  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:39
English to Dutch
+ ...
Smartsync Pro Jan 18, 2006

Backs up however often you want (I set mine at 10 minutes) and backs everything up when I turn off the computer. $35. Works for me, as I'm sure other software works for others, I wasn't happy with the software that came with my external backup.

Mossberg computer columnist at the Wall Street Journal liked it, if I remember correctly, and I generally like what Mossberg likes.
... See more
Backs up however often you want (I set mine at 10 minutes) and backs everything up when I turn off the computer. $35. Works for me, as I'm sure other software works for others, I wasn't happy with the software that came with my external backup.

Mossberg computer columnist at the Wall Street Journal liked it, if I remember correctly, and I generally like what Mossberg likes.

http://www.smsync.com/
Collapse

Stefanie Sendelbach
Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
SyncBack Jan 20, 2006

Hi Ian,

I read this thread with great interest, since I was also looking for a good backup software. I found SyncBack two days ago, tried it out, and am really happy with it.

I found it through this website, where SyncBack has the best user ratings: http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/system/fwbackup.html. There is a download button on the site.

... See more
Hi Ian,

I read this thread with great interest, since I was also looking for a good backup software. I found SyncBack two days ago, tried it out, and am really happy with it.

I found it through this website, where SyncBack has the best user ratings: http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/system/fwbackup.html. There is a download button on the site.

You can set the program to synchronize files between two or more folders/subfolders/drives that you work on simultaneously, or backup files from one folder/subfolder/drive to another, if you only work on one side, and want your files to be mirrored at another location. You can set a schedule for automatic synchronization/backup, or run it manually. And the best - the program is free and works super fast!

Happy backing-up!
Stefanie

[Edited at 2006-01-20 13:37]
Collapse

Éric Cléach
Éric Cléach  Identity Verified
France
Member (2005)
English to French
Cobian Backup Jan 23, 2006

Hi,

Cobian Backup is also a great software, and it is *free*.
(http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cobianbackup.htm)

It has many useful functionalities and you can even save files/folders on your FTP server.

It supports incremental backups as well.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Windows Backup - solution at no cost Jun 2, 2006

Recently I set up the native Windows backup tool to work automatically every day. If you are interested on howto, please contact me via my profile and I´ll send you a step-by-step instructions in PPT.

Regards
Jerzy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for back-up software

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »