Trojan virus introduced when 'freepod.com' box appear on screen.
Thread poster: Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 03:22
Turkish to English
+ ...
Jan 9, 2006

Hi,
Several times today (Monday 9 January) while online a box has appeared, unsolicited, in the exact centre of the computer screen reading:
'Powered by freepod.com
your content is loading please wait'
There is a noticeable loss of Internet speed after this box appears. I have tried clicking on the box to see if it can be closed, but to no avail.
After closing the Internet, software automatically starts downloading, and this is shown graphically on the box as a bar
... See more
Hi,
Several times today (Monday 9 January) while online a box has appeared, unsolicited, in the exact centre of the computer screen reading:
'Powered by freepod.com
There is a noticeable loss of Internet speed after this box appears. I have tried clicking on the box to see if it can be closed, but to no avail.
After closing the Internet, software automatically starts downloading, and this is shown graphically on the box as a bar extends across a small box that appears. Again, it is not possible to click on the box and stop the transfer. As soon as the software has downloaded my virus program warns me that of a trojan virus and enables me to delete this intruder immediately.
First I would like to warn others of the existence of this attack. I would recommend anyone seeing this 'freepod.com' box on their screen to click on start and immediately close down, instructing the computer to close all programs immediately when prompted. Not everyone may have a virus program that is able to detect this virus.
Secondly, I wonder if anyone knows if I can stop this thing from plagueing me as it has now appeared several times while I have been oneline.
Safe computing to you all!
Collapse

Brie Vernier
Brie Vernier  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:22
German to English
freepod.com Jan 9, 2006

Hi Tim,

I'm not familiar with this, but if you simply Google "freepod.com" you will see lots of suggestions for dealing with it, such as this one: http://www.computing.net/windowsxp/wwwboard/forum/144912.html

Good luck!

Gabrielle

Tim Drayton wrote:

Hi,
'Powered by freepod.com
After closing the Internet, software automatically starts downloading, and this is shown graphically on the box as a bar extends across a small box that appears. Again, it is not possible to click on the box and stop the transfer. As soon as the software has downloaded my virus program warns me that of a trojan virus and enables me to delete this intruder immediately.
First I would like to warn others of the existence of this attack. I would recommend anyone seeing this 'freepod.com' box on their screen to click on start and immediately close down, instructing the computer to close all programs immediately when prompted. Not everyone may have a virus program that is able to detect this virus.
Secondly, I wonder if anyone knows if I can stop this thing from plagueing me as it has now appeared several times while I have been oneline.
Safe computing to you all!

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Italian to English
+ ...
Safe computing Jan 9, 2006

Hi Tim,

Yep, like Brie said you’ll find some tips goggling about that.

Anyway here’s what works for me:

Firefox
Adaware
Spybot
Avast
HijakThis

(All free)

Oh yeah and you can use progs that scan your system free (like spyaudit) then manually delete the files they find without buying the prog to clean up.

Go gettum.

Tina Jylhä
Tina Jylhä  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Finnish
+ ...
I used to have similar problems Jan 9, 2006

Dear Tim,

a year ago my computer used to get polluted with all kinds of spy programs, worms etc. even though I had antispyware (free Adaware), firewall and antivirus. I was going crazy until some computer people suggested me to change browser (Explorer -> Mozilla) and to try microsoft antispyware.
Since I did the changes my computer has been protected so far. Microsoft antispyware is free and it is efficient also in cleaning up the computer from infected files. It might be wo
... See more
Dear Tim,

a year ago my computer used to get polluted with all kinds of spy programs, worms etc. even though I had antispyware (free Adaware), firewall and antivirus. I was going crazy until some computer people suggested me to change browser (Explorer -> Mozilla) and to try microsoft antispyware.
Since I did the changes my computer has been protected so far. Microsoft antispyware is free and it is efficient also in cleaning up the computer from infected files. It might be worth checking all the scan intervals as well.
By the way, in what kind of frequencies do you colleagues have the scans programmed in general?

I hope that you'll get sorted out a.s.a.p, Tim.

All the best,
Tina

[Edited at 2006-01-09 22:52]
Collapse

Sven Petersson
Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
http://theliverpoolfcforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=62029&sid=2ba14cd968456dd00993099b71c41253 Jan 10, 2006

http://theliverpoolfcforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=62029&sid=2ba14cd968456dd00993099b71c41253

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 03:22
Turkish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
win32:Rbot-AVX Jan 11, 2006

Thanks for the replies. I seem to have zapped this bug at least for the time being.
It may help others infected by this bug to know its technical name, shown in the title line. It infects the windows firewall (C:\WINDOWS\System32\firewall.exe).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trojan virus introduced when 'freepod.com' box appear on screen.

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »