african spam?
Thread poster: narmeen
narmeen
narmeen
English to Arabic
Jan 5, 2006

i recieved email , and thinking it is a good work aportunity i responded to the person and provide him with my phone number and my friend home address, know im woried that it could be a spam ..i will forword the meesage to you will you please advice me what to do?
You have been sent a message via your ProZ.com page.
Author: BARRISTER ROBERT ASANTE
[NOTE: The author is not a ProZ.com member or was not logged in when
sending this message.]
Author's IP address: 196.
... See more
i recieved email , and thinking it is a good work aportunity i responded to the person and provide him with my phone number and my friend home address, know im woried that it could be a spam ..i will forword the meesage to you will you please advice me what to do?
You have been sent a message via your ProZ.com page.
Author: BARRISTER ROBERT ASANTE
[NOTE: The author is not a ProZ.com member or was not logged in when
sending this message.]
Author's IP address: 196.207.6.245
Message type: Job-related
-----------

Hello Sir,
I am a human right activist and a pastor from Gambia, and
my name
is barrister Robert Asante
I need the service of an interpreter for my Algerian french
and
arabic speaking wife.
We will be coming to America on the 28th of Dec 2005 for a
days Vacation
with our daughter of the age 7
We will require the services of the interpreter
for 5 hours daily,12noon to 5pm) this could be adjusted to
suit
your convinence
Hence this is a sponsored vacation, we will like to pay
in
advance of our visit so she and our darling daughter of 7
years
of age will be assured of an interpreter during our visit
because this is our first visit .
Which part of the States are your residing?

An early reply will be appreciated.
Please acknowledge if you can offer this service ASAP and
give me
a price quote, as time is not really on our side.
Send your reply to my [email protected], please
give
me your private phone numbers so that I can call you on
phone to
quicken the process.

Looking forward to hearing from you urgently

Remain Blessed,
Barrister ROBERT ASANTE

-----------
Your profile: http://www.proz.com/pro/117295
Login at: http://www.proz.com/pro/
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:04
English to German
+ ...
Moving the thread... Jan 5, 2006

...to Safe computing.

Although it would have been better not to respond, and to provide details, you're not at immediate risk, unless money gets involved.

Search the forums for "bishop scam", and you'll find numerous earlier discussions.

Best regards,
Ralf

Vittorina Klingbeil (X)
Vittorina Klingbeil (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Italian to English
+ ...
this is a scam Jan 5, 2006

Hello narmeen,
This sounds exactly like the scam which has come up before and goes something like this - they say that they want to pay upfront in order to secure the service - they say that they have transferred the money and give some sort of 'proof' of payment - they then say that they/the bank have paid too much and ask you to refund the money and they will at the same time pay the correct amount by another method - you 'refund' the supposed amount and only hear later that their initi
... See more
Hello narmeen,
This sounds exactly like the scam which has come up before and goes something like this - they say that they want to pay upfront in order to secure the service - they say that they have transferred the money and give some sort of 'proof' of payment - they then say that they/the bank have paid too much and ask you to refund the money and they will at the same time pay the correct amount by another method - you 'refund' the supposed amount and only hear later that their initial payment was actually never made, thus having caused you to actually pay money to them. Needless to say you hear nothing more of them ...
Collapse

MurielP (X)
MurielP (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:04
French to English
+ ...
this is a scam Jan 5, 2006

This happened to me last year. They will send you more money than you have asked for and then they will cancel the trip or for any other reason, they will ask you to send them some of the money back. You will receive a bankers check which will only bounce after you have sent them the money (your money!!).

When it happened to me they asked to forward some letters which I received by courrier, I became suspicious when the person contacting me said he was from Dubai and the mail came
... See more
This happened to me last year. They will send you more money than you have asked for and then they will cancel the trip or for any other reason, they will ask you to send them some of the money back. You will receive a bankers check which will only bounce after you have sent them the money (your money!!).

When it happened to me they asked to forward some letters which I received by courrier, I became suspicious when the person contacting me said he was from Dubai and the mail came from Nigeria!! As one of the letters was addressed to someone living near me, I contacted them and surprise! She too was a translator and had been asked to do the same thing. By then I was sure it was a scam. I showed the check to my bank and they confirmed it was a forgery.

So please do not take this any further or you will lose money.

All the best

Muriel
Collapse

Woodstock (X)
Woodstock (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Report it to the authorities Jan 5, 2006

Please report this scam to the appropriate authorities in your country, in this case the US. They can sometimes trace the originator, who is often just a rank amateur out for a fast buck. I report these to the German authorities.

Here's a link to a page of links (Ask Jeeves) on how to
... See more
Please report this scam to the appropriate authorities in your country, in this case the US. They can sometimes trace the originator, who is often just a rank amateur out for a fast buck. I report these to the German authorities.

Here's a link to a page of links (Ask Jeeves) on how to report a scam:

http://www.ask.com/web?o=0&qsrc=6&q=Report%20Scam%20Fraud

It may not do any good in the end, but the more people who report these incidents, the fewer there - hopefully - are.

The next link is to someone fighting back, by scamming the scammers:

http://www.419eater.com/

I don't necessarily condone this, but some people are really fed up, and it gives you an idea of how widespread this problem is, as well as an insight into some of the people who try to defraud others. Quite sad, really.
Collapse

Yuri Yuri
Yuri Yuri
Local time: 06:04
English to Russian
+ ...
Scam but in very early stages therefore not dangerous. Jan 6, 2006

narmeen wrote:

Truly scam it is. Nothing to worry but warn your friend not to fall into the trap.
Few additional facts about "Pastor":
He resides in sunny Nigeria (that is sooo far away from Gambia),most probably in Lagos, is using a dial-up connection to the Internet (the day when ADSL comes to Nigeria will be a disaster to the Internet), his Internet provider is www.netcomng.com - which you may contact to report abuse, but them not having the "abuse" e-mail tells us that it'd be as effective as ....well, not at all. Below is info about his Net provider , just in case.

inetnum: 196.207.4.0 - 196.207.7.255
netname: NAL-IPW-CLIENTS
descr: IP Block Assigned to MyNetcom Clients
admin-c: CY1-AFRINIC
tech-c: CY1-AFRINIC
notify: [email protected]
mnt-by: NAL-MNT
mnt-lower: NAL-IP-MNT
changed: [email protected] 20051122
source: AFRINIC

person: Chris Yaw
address: Netcom Africa Limited
7 Adeola Odeku Street
Victoria Island
Lagos, NG
phone: +234 1 271 8890
fax-no: +234 1 461 1235
e-mail: [email protected]
nic-hdl: CY1-AFRINIC
mnt-by: NAL-IP-MNT
remarks: The main contact person for IP Assignment Maintenance
changed: [email protected] 20051122

Have a nice day.

Question in general - Did anyone reporting e-mail types of scam to authorities receive a replay? What was it (and what authorities)? Just wandering

[Edited at 2006-01-06 20:36]

loula_luv
loula_luv
Local time: 21:04
English to Arabic
+ ...
he keeps repeatedly emailing Jan 7, 2006

he emailed me again, same info, pastor...human rights...blablabla,
except he knows my name:

DEAR DR HALA,

GOD WILL BLESS THIS FOR YOU ABOVE ALL OTHER YEARS.

I MUST TELL YOU THAT SINCERELY I HAVE BEEN THINKING OF YOU AND MY INABILITY TO COMMUNICATE YOU EITHER BY PHONE OR BY MAIL DUE TO THE FACT THAT MY MOTHER DIED ON THE 20TH BEFORE THE CHRISTMAS AND I HAVE TO TRAVEL TO THE COUNTRY SIDE WHERE THERE IS NO INTERNET SERVICES AND THE TELEPHONE NETWORK
... See more
he emailed me again, same info, pastor...human rights...blablabla,
except he knows my name:

DEAR DR HALA,

I MUST TELL YOU THAT SINCERELY I HAVE BEEN THINKING OF YOU AND MY INABILITY TO COMMUNICATE YOU EITHER BY PHONE OR BY MAIL DUE TO THE FACT THAT MY MOTHER DIED ON THE 20TH BEFORE THE CHRISTMAS AND I HAVE TO TRAVEL TO THE COUNTRY SIDE WHERE THERE IS NO INTERNET SERVICES AND THE TELEPHONE NETWORK IS VERY BAD.

I JUST HAVE TO LEAVE SOME OF THE THINGS PENDING TO COME BACK TO TOWN TO REACH YOU AND TELL YOU WHY I HAVE NOT REACHED YOU AND TO HAVE TO POSTPONE OUR TRAVELLING TILL THE 30TH OF JANUARY 2006.

MY MOTHER IS A PRINCESS AND THE BURIAL RITES ENTAILS A LOT.

PLEASE I AM VERY SORRY FOR THIS DEVELOPMENT AND REGRET ANY INCONVINENCES THIS HAVE CAUSED YOU, AND WILL SO VERY MUCH WANT TO HAVE YOU AROUND FOR THE NEW DATE WHICH NOW IS UNFAILINGLY.

PLEASE CONFIRM THAT I YOU WILL BE AVALIABLE FOR US AS AT THEN SO THAT AS SOON AS I AM THROUGH WITH THE BURIAL
NEXT WEEK, I WILL CONCLUDE ALL OTHER ARRANGEMENTS.

ONCE I AN VERY SORRY FOR EVERYTHING, WHEN I AM ON GROUND, IF NEED BE WE WILL AGREE HOW IN ANY WAY I CAN COMPENSATE YOU FOR YOUR TIME.

PLEASE REPLY THIS MAIL LATEST BY TOMORROW SO THAT WE CAN COMMUNICATE BEFORE I GO BACK TO THE COUNTRY SIDE ON MONDAY.

MY VERY WARM REGARDS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR.

BARRISTER NGOM.

he thinks i am stupid????
What about US authorities, what help can they provide?
Collapse

Florence Bremond
Florence Bremond  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
An old story Jan 8, 2006

loula_luv wrote:
What about US authorities, what help can they provide?

Stopping that flood is a very difficult task for authorities of any country, until now they have caught a few scammers but nothing more.
I have recently discovered that this kind of spam exists (at least) since the early 19th century, in this time under the name of "Lettres de Jérusalem" in France.
For those who read French, here are a few interesting pages:
http://www.languefrancaise.net/dossiers/dossiers.php?id_dossier=91&PHPSESSID=83a79ac9884df5c0f7b26f81a78e0808
http://www.1789-1815.com/lettres_jerusalem.htm

Florence

narmeen
narmeen
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
THE SCAM Jan 11, 2006

thanks for the advice every one.. and im still getting emails from him, i reported it to the Authorities thanks to your advices again,this is the last one:
DEAR ABIR,
I MUST TELL YOU THAT SINCERELY I HAVE BEEN THINKING OF YOU AND MY INABILITY TO COMMUNICATE YOU EITHER BY PHONE OR BY MAIL DUE TO THE FACT THAT MY MOTHER DIED AFTER THE CHRISTMAS AND I HAVE TO TRAVEL TO THE COUNTRY SIDE WHERE THERE IS NO INTERNET SERVICES AND THE T
... See more
thanks for the advice every one.. and im still getting emails from him, i reported it to the Authorities thanks to your advices again,this is the last one:
DEAR ABIR,
I MUST TELL YOU THAT SINCERELY I HAVE BEEN THINKING OF YOU AND MY INABILITY TO COMMUNICATE YOU EITHER BY PHONE OR BY MAIL DUE TO THE FACT THAT MY MOTHER DIED AFTER THE CHRISTMAS AND I HAVE TO TRAVEL TO THE COUNTRY SIDE WHERE THERE IS NO INTERNET SERVICES AND THE TELEPHONE NETWORK IS VERY BAD.
I JUST HAVE TO LEAVE SOME OF THE THINGS PENDING TO COME BACK TO TOWN TO REACH YOU AND TELL YOU WHY I HAVE NOT REACHED YOU AND TO HAVE TO POSTPONE OUR TRAVELLING TILL THE 30TH OF JANUARY 2006.
MY MOTHER IS A PRINCESS AND THE BURIAL RITES ENTAILS A LOT.
PLEASE I AM VERY SORRY FOR THIS DEVELOPMENT AND REGRET ANY INCONVINENCES THIS HAVE CAUSED YOU, AND WILL SO VERY MUCH WANT TO HAVE YOU AROUND FOR THE NEW DATE WHICH NOW IS UNFAILINGLY.
PLEASE CONFIRM THAT I YOU WILL BE AVALIABLE FOR US AS AT THEN SO THAT AS SOON AS I AM THROUGH WITH THE BURIAL NEXT WEEK, I WILL CONCLUDE ALL OTHER ARRANGEMENTS.
ONCE I AN VERY SORRY FOR EVERYTHING, WHEN I AM ON GROUND, IF NEED BE WE WILL AGREE HOW IN ANY WAY I CAN COMPENSATE YOU FOR YOUR TIME.
PLEASE REPLY THIS MAIL LATEST BY TOMORROW SO THAT WE CAN COMMUNICATE BEFORE I GO BACK TO THE COUNTRY SIDE ON MONDAY.
MY VERY WARM REGARDS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR.

BARRISTER ASANTE.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

african spam?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »