Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Local time: 23:20
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Nov 4, 2005

I have got a cable internet connection. Sometimes, when I turn off my computer, I find a message which says that other people are connected to my computer and if I turn off my computer, they'll lose access to the same.

It is annoying as they have access to my computer without my consent or knowledge. I suppose they might see all the data available on my computer. Is there any way by which I can get rid of this problem?

[Edited at 2005-11-04 13:41]

Florence Bremond
Florence Bremond  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:50
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
Firewall? Nov 4, 2005

Do you at least have a firewall on this computer?
If so, how is it set up?
This would be the 1st thing to check carefully, indeed if people have an access to your computer they could see anything they like, including your passwords and maybe your credit card numbers etc.

There are a few port checkers on the Internet, for in
... See more
If so, how is it set up?
This would be the 1st thing to check carefully, indeed if people have an access to your computer they could see anything they like, including your passwords and maybe your credit card numbers etc.

There are a few port checkers on the Internet, for instance
http://www.canyouseeme.org/
http://www.sdesign.com/securitytest/howtoscan.html
http://www.testmyfirewall.com/

Florence
Collapse

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No, I don't have a firewall Nov 4, 2005

Oddie wrote:

If so, how is it set up?

There are a few port checkers on the Internet, for instance
http://www.canyouseeme.org/
http://www.sdesign.com/securitytest/howtoscan.html
http://www.testmyfirewall.com/

Florence

Thanks for your reply. I don't have a firewall because it disturbs a lot while surfing as it asks for permission every time I open a new website.

Is there any other means to stop this nuisance?

Thanks in anticipation.

Dan Schioenning Larsen
Dan Schioenning Larsen
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
Remember settings Nov 4, 2005

langclinic wrote:
Thanks for your reply. I don't have a firewall because it disturbs a lot while surfing as it asks for permission every time I open a new website.

In most (if not all) firewall software there is an option to mark a checkbox that says something like "Remember this setting" or "Always allow this program to access the Internet", when it asks for permission to access the Net. If you mark that one, you will only have to grant permission to Internet Explorer or other programs the first time they try to access the Net.

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Windows easier to own than Linux Nov 4, 2005

When people say that Windows is easier to own than Linux, this is what they mean.

Marc

langclinic wrote:

I have got a cable internet connection. Sometimes, when I turn off my computer, I find a message which says that other people are connected to my computer and if I turn off my computer, they'll lose access to the same.

It is annoying as they have access to my computer without my consent or knowledge. I suppose they might see all the data available on my computer. Is there any way by which I can get rid of this problem?

[Edited at 2005-11-04 13:41]

Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:50
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Several profiles on Windows? Nov 4, 2005

Maybe there are several profiles on your computer? Even if there are not, sometimes Windows is set up the way that there is your profile and the one Windows already has set up, you just happen to use a different one. So every time you sign out, computer assumes that you are going to cut off the oxigen for the other guy as well although he does not exist.
I had a similar glich on my computer already a while ago. At least I would interpret it this way.
As to firewall, if you use Inter
... See more
Maybe there are several profiles on your computer? Even if there are not, sometimes Windows is set up the way that there is your profile and the one Windows already has set up, you just happen to use a different one. So every time you sign out, computer assumes that you are going to cut off the oxigen for the other guy as well although he does not exist.
I had a similar glich on my computer already a while ago. At least I would interpret it this way.
As to firewall, if you use Internet, you need one. You can loose a lot of your data when the computer crashes due to trojan (or any other malware) invasion.

Good luck!
Burrell
Collapse

Garaemma
Garaemma  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
Different profiles? Nov 4, 2005

Langclinic,
as Burrell has said it maybe if there are other people who have access to your computer if they are still logged on when you go onto the computer afterwards when you try to shut the computer down it will say to you other people are logged on are you sure you want to shut down this is usually why, as I have the same problem.

Florence Bremond
Florence Bremond  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
You need a firewall! Nov 4, 2005

Surfing safely without a firewall belongs to the past.
You really need one, and I have no doubt then that your computer is plagued by spywares of all kinds - visible or not visible.
My firewall reports shows a dozen of connection attempts on my computer since this yesterday evening, all blocked of course.

The firewall that you have tested (was it Windows firewall?) is probably simply not the one you need, I would suggest testing some others.
I'm using Panda Platinu
... See more
Surfing safely without a firewall belongs to the past.
You really need one, and I have no doubt then that your computer is plagued by spywares of all kinds - visible or not visible.
My firewall reports shows a dozen of connection attempts on my computer since this yesterday evening, all blocked of course.

The firewall that you have tested (was it Windows firewall?) is probably simply not the one you need, I would suggest testing some others.
I'm using Panda Platinum Internet Security on this computer, it is very safe (antivirus, firewall, etc..) but heavy - I also have 3 licences for the lighter Panda Titanium antivirus + firewall for my laptop and the children's computers and I'm very happy with it.
There are other excellent brands as well, in most cases you can start with a trial version.

I fear that there's no other way to go (whatever is the problem at the moment)

Florence
Collapse

Rahi Moosavi
Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:50
Member (2004)
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Firewall is a must Nov 4, 2005

A few months ago my laptop went haywire after being infected with a spyware and there was nothing to do but to format it.

I've learnt this lesson the hard way: you MUST have firewall+anti virus+anti spyware+anti spam, specially if you have permanent internet connections. These may come in one package (like Panda or McAfee) or as individual programs. I have a combination of AVG virus scanner+ZoneAlarm Pro firewall+Spyware Doctor.

ZoneAlarm Pro is a very capable firewall
... See more
A few months ago my laptop went haywire after being infected with a spyware and there was nothing to do but to format it.

I've learnt this lesson the hard way: you MUST have firewall+anti virus+anti spyware+anti spam, specially if you have permanent internet connections. These may come in one package (like Panda or McAfee) or as individual programs. I have a combination of AVG virus scanner+ZoneAlarm Pro firewall+Spyware Doctor.

ZoneAlarm Pro is a very capable firewall and even monitors your instant messengers but as I've heard, Panda Internet Security Suite 2006 is ranking the best now. I'm going to buy a package for my desktop and see how it works.

Anyhow, you should find the right combination that works for. I suggest having a look at the reknown PC Magazine Benchmarks:

Anti Virus:http://www.pcmag.com/category2/0,1874,4796,00.asp
Anti Spam: http://www.pcmag.com/category2/0,1874,4795,00.asp
Firewall:http://www.pcmag.com/category2/0,1874,4722,00.asp
Anti Spyware: http://www.pcmag.com/category2/0,1874,1639157,00.asp

It's a superb way of learning about software before buying or testing them.

[Edited at 2005-11-04 15:19]
Collapse

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Is password a solution? Nov 5, 2005

Thanks to all of you for your wonderful suggestions. But I would like to know whether password can provide a solution to this problem? If so, what is the procedure of inserting it?

Thanks in anticipation.

Levan Namoradze
Levan Namoradze  Identity Verified
Georgia
Local time: 21:50
Member (2005)
English to Georgian
+ ...
No, you do not Nov 5, 2005

need the FireWall, if you are connected to a local network as well. If so, when one of your colleagues accesses your PC and then you decide shutting down, your PC 'thinks' s/he is still connected despite s/he left some time ago. That happens frequently.

[Edited at 2005-11-05 08:36]

rek21
rek21
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
Windows Messenger Nov 7, 2005

I used to get weird pop-ups saying that my modem was going to self-destruct or something along those lines.

I'm no expert so somebody advise if this is very bad, but if you go to Start>Run>Open and type in "services.msc" and then disable "Windows Messenger" in the new window, you may get rid of them. This is what I did and it worked, but I had to do it every time I turned the PC on.

I recently got wifi installed and my IP changed with it. I don't get the messages anymo
... See more
I used to get weird pop-ups saying that my modem was going to self-destruct or something along those lines.

I'm no expert so somebody advise if this is very bad, but if you go to Start>Run>Open and type in "services.msc" and then disable "Windows Messenger" in the new window, you may get rid of them. This is what I did and it worked, but I had to do it every time I turned the PC on.

I recently got wifi installed and my IP changed with it. I don't get the messages anymore so I think it has something to do with this.

You could try disabling Messenger to see if it works. If it does, then at least you will now where the problem lies

HTH,

Ruth
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Message reading - "Other people are connected to your computer."

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »