Dead Relative Scam on ProZ by user johnhobert
Thread poster: Robert Morrison
Robert Morrison
Robert Morrison
Czech Republic
Local time: 17:32
Czech to English
Oct 27, 2005

This one is really scary, because someone went to a lot of trouble to customize and personalize it... Unfortunately for the perpetrator I have no such relative and even if I did, he certainly wouldn't be from Czech Republic. Watch out for similar scams dear readers! Actual text follows:

Dear Robert Morrison,
I am Barrister John Hobert from London.I have been looking for you,Robert Morrison from Czech.I have a deceased client by name James Morrison from Czech who died last year
... See more
This one is really scary, because someone went to a lot of trouble to customize and personalize it... Unfortunately for the perpetrator I have no such relative and even if I did, he certainly wouldn't be from Czech Republic. Watch out for similar scams dear readers! Actual text follows:

Dear Robert Morrison,
I am Barrister John Hobert from London.I have been looking for you,Robert Morrison from Czech.I have a deceased client by name James Morrison from Czech who died last year in an autocrash here in London.
As i was going through his personal file,I came across your name as someone relating to him and through my geneological research on my late client,I found you as someone relating to him.
I wish to inform you that your attention is highly needed for you to stand as the beneficiary or next of kin to the fund amounting to 6 million US dollars left behind by your relative,James Morrison with a finance company in London.
I am sure beyond all reasonable doubt that you are the right beneficiary/next of kin to my deceased client,Kindly contact me back with your full contact address and telephone number so that i can file out an application with the finance company for the release of the funds and property to you as the appropriate beneficiary Sincerely, John Hobert
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 17:32
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Hi praguebob Oct 27, 2005

As your posting concerns scam, I have moved it to the Safe computing forum. This is just another version of the so called Nigerian bishop scam. You may find lots of information on this subject if you you would enter the word "bishop" into the search box in the right upper corner and press enter.

In case you received the scam message through ProZ.com mailing system, please contact support (use the 'Support' button in the upper menu) and provide all message details, including the head
... See more
As your posting concerns scam, I have moved it to the Safe computing forum. This is just another version of the so called Nigerian bishop scam. You may find lots of information on this subject if you you would enter the word "bishop" into the search box in the right upper corner and press enter.

In case you received the scam message through ProZ.com mailing system, please contact support (use the 'Support' button in the upper menu) and provide all message details, including the headers.

Natalia
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 11:32
SITE FOUNDER
Thanks, I have removed the profile. Oct 27, 2005

Thank you. We will make some changes to make it harder to misuse profile mail in this way.

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:32
German to English
+ ...
They all seem to be the same amount Oct 27, 2005

praguebob wrote:

This one is really scary, because someone went to a lot of trouble to customize and personalize it... Unfortunately for the
...etc...

I wish to inform you that your attention is highly needed for you to stand as the beneficiary or next of kin to the fund amounting to 6 million US dollars left behind by your relative,James Morrison with a finance company in London.
I am sure beyond all reasonable doubt that you are the right beneficiary/next of kin to my deceased client,Kindly contact me back with your full contact address and telephone number so that i can file out an application with the finance company for the release of the funds and property to you as the appropriate beneficiary Sincerely, John Hobert

I have received a few such scams (and recognised them all for what they were). It was of some interest to notice that the size of the alleged fund was usually about 6 million dollars, sometimes eight milion. (No, this does not mean that a different fund size would be genuine!)
Oliver

Jeremy Smith
Jeremy Smith  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:32
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
stupid scammers Oct 28, 2005

Rather disconcerting that they are starting to do a bit of research before attempting to scam. But the appalling standard of English immediately tells you that it couldn't possibly be from a British barrister.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dead Relative Scam on ProZ by user johnhobert

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »